Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
did anyone go back to their tax software and make changes to show the amount of difference the new tax laws would make?
I don't imagine tax software has caught up ... the ink isn't dry on the law. But using the tax software is how I usually manage (rather than trying to understand it all, I just plug in the numbers and iterate, hehehe).

From the article:
Quote:
Advisors with clients who receive their health insurance via an Obamacare policy should be mindful of the loss of any potential Premium Assistance Tax Credit as part of their planning. Specifically, advisors may wish to revisit Roth conversion plans for such clients, as the ‘net costs’ of the conversion may have just increased (due to the potential loss of Premium Assistance Tax Credits that were unanticipated when the plan was first set in motion).
Originally I asked "So that being said, is this an opportunity to Roth convert more? I'm a 395%FPL kind of guy.", but with the quoted section, sounds like the opposite.

Either way, any news from Block or TT on when they plan to update?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DSIL has outstanding student debt under the Federal program. This bill eliminates tax on forgiven student loans thru 2026. As I understand it, the President can forgive up to $50K by executive order. Has anyone heard if such an order is likely?
Old 03-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
It says that you don't have to pay back ACA Premium Tax Credits from 2020 if you received an overpayment. If understand what that means that is a 10k swing for our taxes this year.

"In general, such overpayments are clawed back by increasing a taxpayer’s income tax liability by the excess payment, subject to certain statutory limits. Section 9662 of the American Rescue Plan Act temporarily pauses this clawback feature for 2020 overpayments only"
Wait. WHAT?

I have not done our taxes for 2020 yet because I was waiting for legislation but I sent in $30,000 in estimated tax payments because toward the end of the year I made a boatload in biotech and knew I was going to have to pay back $11,000 in ACA subsidy.

Are you saying I just got a freebie?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Wait. WHAT?

I have not done our taxes for 2020 yet because I was waiting for legislation but I sent in $30,000 in estimated tax payments because toward the end of the year I made a boatload in biotech and knew I was going to have to pay back $11,000 in ACA subsidy.

That's what I believe. I've read it in several articles. Apparently they felt like many folks income swung wildly and didn't want to penalize folks.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I believe. I've read it in several articles. Apparently they felt like many folks income swung wildly and didn't want to penalize folks.
Woah, it looks like you are correct!

Dang, that is the fastest $11,000 I have ever made!

Embrace the dole!
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DSIL has outstanding student debt under the Federal program. This bill eliminates tax on forgiven student loans thru 2026. As I understand it, the President can forgive up to $50K by executive order. Has anyone heard if such an order is likely?
Nobody knows, it's all speculation about the future.

Technically, the President can't do it himself. But many believe he can direct the Secretary of Education to do so via an executive order.

The $50K amount is what some in Congress are calling on the President to do. The President seems to prefer about $10K through executive order, with any larger amounts being done through law.

I think the removal of taxation of forgiven student loans makes it more likely, because it is more palatable to do so without the taxation of the forgiven amounts.

The logical thing for people like your DSIL to do is be mindful of these potential laws and be strategic about whether and when to pay them down or pay them off. I think there are lots of people with student loans who are holding off on paying them in hopes that either the $10K or $50K or something will happen in the next few years.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
What cliff are you referring to? The ACA subsidy cliff is gone.
KFF has updated their ACA subsidy calculator with the changes in relief plan.
https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
Thank You
I am taking gains this year. Looks like about 52.6k is the top of the 12% bracket. Does that look right?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I LOVE big government. As a thirty graduate of the 'Space Program', working with a lot of double dipper retired military folks and USDA including CRP on The Farm the government is my pal. And thanks to Bogle's Folly' I ER'd at age 50.

The age we live it is truly great - in spite of the fact I love to whine and act Curmudgeony.

Heh heh heh - I fully expect the new act will have it's fair share of hits and and misses, unintended consequences, etc. That's life.

P.S. Lest I forget my good buddies at the IRS helping me with my post 70 1/2 RMD. Makes me feel warm and Curmudgeony.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
To clarify all the relief acts in my own mind I looked them up:
  • CARES Act, March 2020, $2.2T, $1200 checks
  • Omnibus Appropriations 2021 (COVID portion), December 2020, $0.9T, $600 checks
  • ARP Act, March 2021, $1.9T, $1400 checks
So a cool $5T in extra deficit spending = 5 years of pre-COVID deficits all in one year.
Not to mention all of the additional funding for unemployment benefits.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Yes, I believe so. I was in the same boat – looking at having to repay over $9K in subsidies. So I bought a tricked-out Mac Pro last December as a write off to get back under the cliff (I did need a new computer, having said that). But now I've decided to depreciate it over 5 years and spread out the deduction. (We will have to update our slogan "Thanks Obama" to "Thanks Joe" now! ).
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #31

Quote:
My CPA hasn't filed them yet, he was waiting till the stimulus checks were sent before filing 2020 where we had a large, disqualifiing, jump in income. How fortunate, I'll talk to DW about how to share this windfall.
Same here (except for the "my CPA"). Just showing up in the bank account. Time to file the taxes!
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well we got our $2,800 yesterday, pretty efficient I think. HOWEVER....... Our Tax bill this year is $2,803. In one day, out (to the same place) 1 month later. We donated the last $1,200 to local charities. This time I really will send it back to pay our 2020 taxes.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Just read an article that says first $10,200 of 2020 unemployment benefits would be exempted from federal income. Geesh....what about all the people who already filed their returns and paid someone to do it? Now have to file an amended return and likely pay an additional fee.

Nothing amazes me anymore in regards to how much of a mess our government can create.
Leave it to the government! I did my son’s tax return and though he owed a little money we filed it right away to get it over with. Yes- he was on unemployment for a while and paid taxes and now we have to wait and see what they will do.

My hope is the IRS will be able to just pull the unemployment and income info. from the filed returns and send out automatic refunds. Why shouldn’t they be able to do this?

Would be much better than a ton of people having to amend and pay a fee to do so on top of it. In fact- in that case the amended returns fee should be waived.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Same here (except for the "my CPA"). Just showing up in the bank account. Time to file the taxes!
This may be his last year, his value add seems diminished over the last couple years.n
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
My hope is the IRS will be able to just pull the unemployment and income info. from the filed returns and send out automatic refunds. Why shouldn’t they be able to do this?
The problem is that this particular provision in the law affects AGI, which in turn affects a huge number of other items on the federal return, as well as probably the beginning point for state returns. There really is no practical way I can see for the IRS to make all of the necessary adjustments correctly for all affected taxpayers in any sort of reasonable time frame.

For those who have not yet filed and are affected by this, the IRS has published a procedure for how to enter it on the 2020 return. States still need to decide if they're going to go along with this exclusion or not. Tax prep software is being rewritten now to handle the exclusion.

For those who have already filed and are affected by this, the IRS has asked people not to file an amended return just yet. Not sure what they still need to figure out, but that's what I've read.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

As someone who files at the last minute every year, I don't see the problem. Procrastinators rule!
Old 03-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #37

if I remember the 1040x is a lot more work than the original and it has to be mailed in. any changes been made to that in the past while? I filed my grandaughter's taxes and she got unemployment, was wondering if filing a 1040x woulld be worth the hassle.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
To clarify all the relief acts in my own mind I looked them up:
  • CARES Act, March 2020, $2.2T, $1200 checks
  • Omnibus Appropriations 2021 (COVID portion), December 2020, $0.9T, $600 checks
  • ARP Act, March 2021, $1.9T, $1400 checks
So a cool $5T in extra deficit spending = 5 years of pre-COVID deficits all in one year.
It's worse than that, according to https://www.thebalance.com/us-deficit-by-year-3306306, counting backwards from 2019, your $5T is roughly the sum of deficits of the last 7.5 years. If this happened to a normal citizen, we would ask them to go to debt counseling. I have a hard time imagining how this can end well.
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

I would like to share a trick I am using in 2021. 2021 happens to be the year my wife and I both turn 72, so it’s our first RMD year. Our normal size RMD would take us over $160,000 and disqualify us from obtaining a Rescue credit. (We are already disqualified for 2019 and 2020.) But we will only take part of our RMD in 2021, to stay under $150,000 AGI in 2021, and take the balance in 2022 before April 1. You can only take advantage of this delay in your first RMD year, so we lucked out that ours is 2021. This trick also enables us to delay the IRRMA increase by one more year. Life is good.
Nightingale9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
if I remember the 1040x is a lot more work than the original and it has to be mailed in. any changes been made to that in the past while? I filed my grandaughter's taxes and she got unemployment, was wondering if filing a 1040x woulld be worth the hassle.
Yes. The IRS is accepting e-filed 1040x for 2019 as long as the original 2019 return was e-filed. I expect them to announce that the same holds true for 2020. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale9 View Post
I would like to share a trick I am using in 2021. 2021 happens to be the year my wife and I both turn 72, so it’s our first RMD year. Our normal size RMD would take us over $160,000 and disqualify us from obtaining a Rescue credit. (We are already disqualified for 2019 and 2020.) But we will only take part of our RMD in 2021, to stay under $150,000 AGI in 2021, and take the balance in 2022 before April 1. You can only take advantage of this delay in your first RMD year, so we lucked out that ours is 2021. This trick also enables us to delay the IRRMA increase by one more year. Life is good.
This works. But remember you and your wife will also need to take an RMD in 2022. So the remainder of your 2021 RMDs and your 2022 RMDs both in 2022 will result in a pretty high income for you. It still may be good planning, but its something you should be aware of.