Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
At least the direct tax increase votes were mostly pay-as-you-go, so those who want it today will have to pay for it today. That's more ethical and moral, IMO, than charging it and letting your kids pay for it.
But who will benefit, the kids. So what is wrong with having them pay? (Of course this assumes that the American school system is capable of teaching anyone anything useful.)

One problem for California is that it is stuck paying for all the immigrant services and services for poor people that really should be federal responsibility, or no one's. If California were allowed to say yes or no to these things, then it might be reasonable for them to pay for it. As it now stands it is taxation without representation.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

One problem for California is that it is stuck paying for all the immigrant services and services for poor people that really should be federal responsibility, or no one's. If California were allowed to say yes or no to these things, then it might be reasonable for them to pay for it. As it now stands it is taxation without representation.
+1

NE Illinois has a similar issue. Groups of recent immigrants tend to congregate together in certain towns and suburbs creating financial difficulties for these municipalities as they try to provide the necessary educational and service resources. If on a federal basis we wish to have more or less open borders, then we should tax on a federal basis to share the burden.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Living in Ca. I always for "yes" on tax increases even we have one of the highest in the nation. But alas everyone else votes "no". There's going to be more on the next ballot. My guess is it will be the same result. What is concerning is trimming budgets of fire departments etc. Lots of fires here.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Living in Ca. I always for "yes" on tax increases even we have one of the highest in the nation. But alas everyone else votes "no". There's going to be more on the next ballot. My guess is it will be the same result. What is concerning is trimming budgets of fire departments etc. Lots of fires here.
CA is the best evidence why running a country by popular vote won't work. We berate our politicians for deficits, and yet citizens do much the same thing when given the chance - demand services/benefits and refuse to pay for same. What's the saying 'we get what we deserve...'

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure I agree with your (Midpack) statement but it seems in these times it certainly seems to be the case. But there is a divide in Sacramento also. They can't agree so the governors get frustrated and put it up for a vote. Then when the electorate fails to vote they feel justified in cutting services. Problem is that nobody notices until down the line. Example being mental health services cut during Reagan era (governor). There are very few services, result being a few of the people with mental issues get a gun and start shooting. Then the prison system takes care of them for life. And of course we are having problems with our prison system as well. Everybody wanted 3 strikes (what a dumb law) now too many in prison. Too expensive. Everybody wants it simple. Running a state with this huge population/economy is not simple. I've heard it said many times if Ca. were a country it would be either the 7th or 8th largest economy in the world.( It seems to change) Being a retired Public Defender I often would feel despair as our clients often fell through the cracks. Basically lost souls. Not all PDs felt as I did. But hey life is not simple. A lot of people don't like that answer. I could rant on but you get the idea. Personally I like voting on all these issues even though it causes a lot of consternation. Many times when I hear what is going on in Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida etc. I say thank god I live in Ca. No kidding.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote