Citizenship?

One thing that you need to take into account would be death duties in the locations you desire. ARe you thinking you will renounce your US citizenship? I think death duties are quite steep in the UK. They are zero in Australia, as they did away with taxes on estates a good 20 years ago and there has been no talk of them returning.

Alan, we are just doing the switch from E3 to H1 to faciliate the green card process. We will go to the Consulate in Sydney when we are in Oz in July. We had the option of sending our passports to US Immigration to have them stamped, but we are just not that brave as who knows when we would see them again. Last time when we were on an E2, if we did the extension in country we had to send our passports away for 4 months. With our green card application, when it comes does to the final stage we are going to go the consulate route as they seem more competent than they are in country.

Ah, Trek, that is the question. If I leave the US to become a citizen of either Australia, France or the UK, it will be to become a full-fledged citizen and do all things related to citizenship. Vote, live, die, be buried there.

As for ever being considered a local, my father was born in Maine, he moved to Brevard, NC at age 26, and 60 years later he is still "that guy from up North".

Luckily I moved to CA at age 19 and am only know as "that gringo".

Alan, we are just doing the switch from E3 to H1 to faciliate the green card process. We will go to the Consulate in Sydney when we are in Oz in July. We had the option of sending our passports to US Immigration to have them stamped, but we are just not that brave as who knows when we would see them again. Last time when we were on an E2, if we did the extension in country we had to send our passports away for 4 months. With our green card application, when it comes does to the final stage we are going to go the consulate route as they seem more competent than they are in country.

I don't blame you at all for your approach. Mailing off your passports for 4 months would be very nerve racking :nonono:

Zero,

From about 2 minutes of googling, I found forums and examples of individuals that discuss how they are getting French citizenship. Looks like a lot of hoop-jumping, loooooong multi-year waits, lots and lots of forms, fees, expenses, etc. And no guaranteed outcome (as others here have stated). Having relatives or a spouse ease your citizenship request, as does having french based income.

If you are really dedicated to emigrating, I'm sure you'll find a way to pursue this course of action. Yes, it appears very difficult. No, it doesn't look any more difficult than getting into America. If you don't have any special "ins" to get into America, then it is a lottery. Even siblings of US citizens may have to wait many years to be sponsored and admitted. Long difficult, arduous process with no guaranteed outcome going into it. At the end of many years of waiting, you may hit a brick wall and be faced with leaving your intended new country of citizenship without recourse and without much notice time-wise.

Zero,

From about 2 minutes of googling, I found forums and examples of individuals that discuss how they are getting French citizenship. Looks like a lot of hoop-jumping, loooooong multi-year waits, lots and lots of forms, fees, expenses, etc. And no guaranteed outcome (as others here have stated). Having relatives or a spouse ease your citizenship request, as does having french based income.

If you are really dedicated to emigrating, I'm sure you'll find a way to pursue this course of action. Yes, it appears very difficult. No, it doesn't look any more difficult than getting into America. If you don't have any special "ins" to get into America, then it is a lottery. Even siblings of US citizens may have to wait many years to be sponsored and admitted. Long difficult, arduous process with no guaranteed outcome going into it. At the end of many years of waiting, you may hit a brick wall and be faced with leaving your intended new country of citizenship without recourse and without much notice time-wise.

Same reaction I had. About a month ago, I started the Google searches. Way too many versions out there of how to do it. And 100s of stories, some probably not even accurate. In the end, I could find not one who succeeded and then put the details out there to follow.

So, looks like the best option will be to apply for a one year permanent residency visa here in the US. Using retirement as the reason for seeking it. Show funds, show insurance and takes my chances on getting the next step.

My 2 years of French, and immersion into the French society for one year will hopefully result in a sufficient level of proficiency to pass that part of the exam.

Thanks for all the good information.

Back
Top Bottom