Cuba

Visited Cuba 3 times in the last decade. Most recent development is/has been geared to the tourism industry. Straying from this area is much like the DR or other countries in the area where life is more challenging.
Very safe country if you don't act like an ass,

I'm looking forward to being able to sail my boat to Cuba without wondering if the US will confiscate it upon returning to the US.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I am hopeful that this will lead to good things and I have always wanted to visit Cuba, but I use a human rights filter when planning international travel, so I will take a wait and see approach before booking my ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Visited Cuba 3 times in the last decade. Most recent development is/has been geared to the tourism industry. Straying from this area is much like the DR or other countries in the area where life is more challenging.
Very safe country if you don't act like an ass,

I visited it about 15 yrs ago, against the advice of family who had gone there 10 yrs earlier. They said I'd be in a resort with fences and not allowed out.

They were wrong !

I stayed at a resort near the South end, it was in a National Park, we walked miles along the road seeing the occasional local, to another resort that catered to the European folks.
It was all very safe, and I don't even speak Spanish.

I took a black market (unofficial) tour via one of the resort workers who was pretty critical of the gov't, so we toured past Mr Bacardi's home (now a preschool). We ate at some local "illegal" restaurant, very cheap for lobster lunch.
The weird part was the lack of traffic on the roads, as the roads have the capacity for much more traffic than exists. I'm talking about seeing in the city of Santiago downtown, and I could see in the multi-lane road 6-10 cars total.

They were inventive with transportation: 1950's cars, flatbed trucks as bus, donkey carts, bikes, all mixed especially near the farmers market.

People were poor, but nobody except 1 gov't guard worker begged for money, I said no to her.

I rarely saw army or police in the week I was there, in fact when I returned to the West I was amazed at how many police we had around.

Funny thing is while at the resort a local offered to take me to see Gitmo, as though seeing American's was novel or something.

I would return again, except for US restrictions not allowing Americans to visit there. The Cuban's welcomed all American tourists.

They had this weird communist thing at the airport, they had a lady hand you a strip off the roll of toilet paper as you went in. Everyone could/had to work even if it was basically useless work.

I often wondered what you would do if you needed a second strip :nonono:

I welcomed the news that we were normalizing relations with Cuba, but after watching the national news tonight, I'm somewhat surprised that some Cuban-Americans seem so opposed to normalizing relations. I would have thought their reaction would be to welcome normalization and perhaps a chance to influence policy there.

I look forward to vacationing there some day.
I read comments to other web articles about this, and a few by folks who seemed to know a bit about Cuban history said that most of the Cuban-Americans objecting are the older generation whose families owned property in Cuba that was seized without compensation. The younger generation of Cuban-Americans welcomes the news. And, from I saw so far on TV, the Cubans themselves are rejoicing. Your local congressman may disagree.

How long before Cuba joins Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama in the retirement destination business?

I envision a Mecca for high school reunions for the late sixty, early 70 set. We can compete in naming fifties vintage cars on the streets of Havana.

Seriously, Havana as a port of call for cruises out of south Florida would be hugely popular.

I read comments to other web articles about this, and a few by folks who seemed to know a bit about Cuban history said that most of the Cuban-Americans objecting are the older generation whose families owned property in Cuba that was seized without compensation. The younger generation of Cuban-Americans welcomes the news. And, from I saw so far on TV, the Cubans themselves are rejoicing. Your local congressman may disagree.

The folks I've seen on TV saying it's a bad idea all seem to be over 50 and they seem to be reciting the same comments nearly word for word. I guess that's because they've been sitting around together discussing the issue for 30-40 years.

I'm sure none of them own cell phones made in China since one of their arguments for not opening relations in Cuba is Cuba's lack of free elections. :)

I would love to get into the car import/export business. Ship in a current Chev and take a 50s Chev as a trade-in. Barrett-Jackson here we come.

DW's sister and her husband moved to PEI Canada as landed immigrants in 1973 and in 1976 began a bicycle tour and repair business. In 1994, he expanded the business to Cuba, and today, their daughter Kristen and her husband Abel run the business, along with their other daughter Kelly and their son Danny who help in the busy season. The business has expanded to include island wide bicycle tours, motorcycle tours, auto rentals, sailboat charters, skin diving, fly fishing, and tours of Havana and other cities.

This by way of explaining that there is tourism in Cuba... and as several have pointed out here, travel from other countries is not restricted.

The bike tours extend all over the island which in all, is 760 miles long, tip to tip, including smaller islands, and 55 miles wide... about the size of Pennsylvania.

You may enjoy their YouTube video, which follows a bike tour, and gives some insight into what Cuba is like today.

There are several other YouTube videos including one for a 2014 motorcycle tour.

Last edited:
Very interesting video, imoldernu. I view this as informational, not an advertisement. The low volume of traffic on Cuban roads makes it ideal for "le cyclotourisme" as they call it in France. It's a great way to see how people really live. I suspect that when Americans are allowed to vacation in Cuba (which is not included in the current reforms), increasing bus traffic may detract from the pleasure of bike tours. I'm sure your Canadian niece will adapt her business accordingly.

I have a solution to fix all this 'krap'

Mexico---51st state

Cuba--52nd state

Puerto Rico--53rd state

I mean, come on---we made Alaska a state and it's up by the North Pole. We made Hawaii a state and it's half way to Japan. And Puerto Rico is already a territory of ours--why didn't we ever make it a state?

And if any other Caribbean countries want to jump on the bandwagon, why not?

Very interesting video, imoldernu. I view this as informational, not an advertisement. The low volume of traffic on Cuban roads makes it ideal for "le cyclotourisme" as they call it in France. It's a great way to see how people really live. I suspect that when Americans are allowed to vacation in Cuba (which is not included in the current reforms), increasing bus traffic may detract from the pleasure of bike tours. I'm sure your Canadian niece will adapt her business accordingly.
Yes, very interesting. DW and I do at least one bike tour every year, often two. We will be interested in Cuba when US tourism opens up.

Folks, this is a very interesting topic and easily relevant to us, so let's avoid side issues that are not on topic.

I see Cuba as a very strong contender for many many retirees from Canada and the U.S. It is cheap, stable, best medical system outside of developed economies, highly educated population, one of the safest countries in the world (even while being very poor), a stone's throw from the U.S., and many more advantages. It is definitely on my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's not as if we haven't normalized relations with other communist nations a long time ago.....

It's about time, although I was starting to fear it wouldn't happen in my lifetime.

I'd love to go birding in Cuba!
Yeah, to me this ranks up there with the discovery of the Titanic and revealing the identity of Watergate's "Deep Throat." Now, if they can only find Amelia Earhart before I croak, that would be nice.

You may enjoy their YouTube video, which follows a bike tour, and gives some insight into what Cuba is like today.
Thanks for posting the video. I look forward to biking in Cuba as soon as it becomes feasible. I'm used to organizing my own trips, and I've got a couple of cycling friends who have biked there and liked it a lot, especially the lack of traffic. Cuban rules about accommodations make it a little complicated, and from what I can tell, somewhat pricy.

Years ago, when it was still communist and still one country, I biked in Czechoslovakia. It was a very strange experience, but I'm glad I did it.

BIL, in addition to working in Canada and Cuba in earlier days... beginning in the mid 1990's until about 2006, also acted as an unofficial liaison between one of the Canadian agricultural organizations and some Cuban farm researchers.
One of the most difficult problems with the embargo was the availability and cost of fuel and pesticides.
I remember him telling me about the movement towards small farms and home gardens, and the ecological correctness of organic farming... (before it was a buzzword here). In poking around for more info about this, I came across this 2008 article that covered some of the actions that have led to the food self sufficiency that was attained after a period of food shortages.
cuba agriculture .com - Cuba Agriculture Information

excerpt:
By 2002, 35,000 acres of urban gardens produced 3.4 million tons of food. In Havana, 90% of the city's fresh produce came from local urban farms and gardens, all organic. In 2003, more than 200,000 Cubans worked in the expanding urban agriculture sector.
In 2003, the Cuban Ministry of Agriculture was using less than 50% of the diesel fuel it used in 1989, less than 10% of the chemical fertilisers and less than 7% of the synthetic insecticides. A chain of 220 bio-pesticide centres provided safe alternatives for pest control.
The ongoing National Program for Soil Improvement and Preservation benefited 475,000 hectares of land in 2004, up 23,000 hectares in 2003. The annual production of 5 million tonnes of composted soil by a network of worm farms is part of this process.

Perhaps the most interesting thing that my in-laws remark on, is the low crime rate, and the basic honesty of the citizens... except... that bribery of government workers is quite common, and a more or less accepted practice.
Theft, and violent crime is almost unknown.
While Havana and some of the more urban cities often look modern, from what I've seen, most of the country appears to be stalled in the 1940's and 1950's.
Even now, in many places, electricity is not reliable, and infrastructure.... water and sewer in need of upgrade.
Che... is still celebrated as the "greatest"... venerated in statues, banners, and art on the sides of buildings.

I expect that we'll be seeing much more of the country in the news and TV "specials".

I'm guessing that the reported low crime is mostly due to the culture and not the fact that most everyone is equally poor. But I'd appreciate it if those with direct experience could comment more on this.

I'm also curious about the seemingly conflicting comments about thriving urban farming and visiting Canadians who find the food boring. Perhaps the tourists were only going to "legal" restaurants or perhaps all the urban farmers grow the same staples?

I'm really thrilled that we are seeing such political progress. Good news of this ilk seems so very rare. Makes me wonder why this wasn't done 25yrs ago after the Berlin Wall came down, or even just a few years ago when Fidel stepped aside.

I'm looking forward to being able to sail my boat to Cuba without wondering if the US will confiscate it upon returning to the US.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The incident I watched the boat was sunk 20 miles out in the ocean.

Little different circumstances we came across 9 Cubans in a broken boat twenty miles off Marathon Key. We watched the Coast Gaurd rescue them but their little boat was blown up. At that time they were given a chance to stay in the US. Those folks risked their lives and almost lost.

Edit to add: I believe this is a great deal for people in both countries. Obviously what we've been doing is not helping anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I remember talk that crime was low in the USSR too, but they had that totalitarian state.

Crime can be bad in many places in Latin America.

Influx of money could bring drugs, which always brings crime, inequality, etc.

Cuba has been moving away from a Soviet-style centrally planned economy (fueled initially by sugar subsidies from the old Soviet Union) towards a market-driven economy.

Less than you might think.

Perhaps the most interesting thing that my in-laws remark on, is the low crime rate, and the basic honesty of the citizens... except... that bribery of government workers is quite common, and a more or less accepted practice.

Interesting. Here in Illinois, we have the "bribery of government workers." In fact, "gratuities" are expected if you want to receive service at most public facilities.

We don't have the low crime rate or basic honesty of the citizen that you mention though......

Back
Top Bottom