Cut capital gains tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comment could be made regarding anyone who supports any tax. But, we all agree that we want a government and governments get money from taxes. Somehow, taxes are supposed to appear without anyone supporting them.
All interesting. But the budget will not be balanced by higher taxes. The gap is just too great. It will require entitlement reform, which will probably not occur till we have a currency crisis.

Secondly, paying a lower rate on income that has already been taxed is sound policy. Of course you can disagree.

As much as I "like" this feature of the tax code, I'll admit that I find it hard to argue for.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/452446-stop-giving-away-capital-gains-taxes
Isn't that the purpose of the estate tax (aka death tax), where the right level of taxation free is a frequent topic of tax law debates. The scheme makes sense in that a person who inherited an asset (stock or property) was not responsible for tracking the cost basis. So taxing the dead person's estate before passing down what remains at a new stepped up basis should be a reasonable way for the government to capture taxes and not burden the descendant with trying to figure out the basis.

No, it is based on logic and some knowledge of how free markets work.

There are plenty of cases where the "noise" in a system makes it hard to parse out an effect, but logic can still tell you that a certain thing has a certain effect. See my earlier example of insulation in a home. If your utility bills don't go down, that does not "prove" that insulation doesn't work. We know it does.

-ERD50

Your "logic" is not real evidence.

So your claim of "Well, I say they will pass the savings on to the consumer, because they are 'greedy'." was based on "logic" without any evidence that it actually happened. Which is exactly as I indicated.

Last edited:
Your "logic" is not real evidence.

So your claim of "Well, I say they will pass the savings on to the consumer, because they are 'greedy'." was based on "logic" without any evidence that it actually happened. Which is exactly as I indicated.

Fine, call it an "explanation" then. Based on logic and some knowledge of how free markets work.

-ERD50

I remember how people fussed when 1970s-level inflation was pushing them into higher (ordinary income) tax brackets until those were indexed for inflation...doesn't seem that indexing capital gains taxes should be much different.

All interesting. But the budget will not be balanced by higher taxes. The gap is just too great. It will require entitlement reform, which will probably not occur till we have a currency crisis.

Secondly, paying a lower rate on income that has already been taxed is sound policy. Of course you can disagree.
It seems that we're talking past each other. I didn't say that the budget deficit should be closed entirely by raising taxes. Nor did I say that we should tax income that has already been taxed.

I disagreed with particular comment that could apply to any gov't tax or benefit. Maybe a different example would help.

You want to cut entitlements. Suppose you suggest a specific cut to SS benefits. This cut would apply to your benefits and everyone else in a similar situation.

Imagine a poster saying that you're not allowed to make that comment unless you are currently retired and writing checks each month to the Federal government for the difference between your current SS benefit and what it would be under your proposal.

I would disagree with that poster. When it comes to gov't, it's perfectly reasonable to say there are things I'm willing to do only on the condition that everyone else in my position does the same. In fact, that's why we fund the gov't with taxes instead of voluntary donations. (see "free rider dilemma")

I think Scrabbler's comment was on point.

It seems that we're talking past each other. I didn't say that the budget deficit should be closed entirely by raising taxes. Nor did I say that we should tax income that has already been taxed.

I disagreed with particular comment that could apply to any gov't tax or benefit. Maybe a different example would help.

You want to cut entitlements. Suppose you suggest a specific cut to SS benefits. This cut would apply to your benefits and everyone else in a similar situation.

Imagine a poster saying that you're not allowed to make that comment unless you are currently retired and writing checks each month to the Federal government for the difference between your current SS benefit and what it would be under your proposal.

I would disagree with that poster. When it comes to gov't, it's perfectly reasonable to say there are things I'm willing to do only on the condition that everyone else in my position does the same. In fact, that's why we fund the gov't with taxes instead of voluntary donations. (see "free rider dilemma")

I think Scrabbler's comment was on point.
Wanting capital gains or dividends to be taxed at ordinary rates is add odds with most of what has been done to reform income taxes based on an objective principle: income that has already been taxed should be taxed at a lower rate, or not at all.

Stating that such income should be taxed at a higher rate will not cause it to happen, as it is completly at odds with the objective standard of fairness I just stated.

To say all income should be taxed the same because it "spends the same" is very simplistic and ignores the fairness principle I stated without providing a new, superior principle.

Any tax can easily be judged as needing to be raised when we are running deficits. However closing that gap should be done in a way that reflects objective fairness, not simply raising taxes for their own sake.

The deficits are driven primarily by the growth of entitlements, and that is where the bulk of the deficit-cutting effort should be placed in my view. I think that is objectively true.

I am fine with your and any other opinion about only being willing to pay additional taxes if you could force others to pay those same taxes. My point is that statement would be far more powerful if someone is wiling to lead on an issue and do what they feel is right independently.

I did not make a statement prohibiting people's opinions. Instead I stated that people are free to do more about their strongly held opinions than post about them here.

No person has a way to personally cut government spending. But anyone can strike a powerful blow for their view of fairness by paying taxes at any level they wish. It is a key difference.

Thanks for the discussion.

I remember how people fussed when 1970s-level inflation was pushing them into higher (ordinary income) tax brackets until those were indexed for inflation...doesn't seem that indexing capital gains taxes should be much different.
The capital gain tax brackets are already indexed to inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom