Join Early Retirement Today

Is there any benefit to AARP?
Old 12-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there any benefit to AARP?

I know this has been discussed in the past so pardon me if I'm repeating an old discussion, but I think it's been a little while since it's come up.

I get regular solicitations in the mail from AARP. Today's solicitation includes a free "Sporty Tote" if I join before 2/1/18. I'm sure I have no use for that, but the membership is only $16/year so not a big ticket item.

Does anyone find value in being a member? What specific benefits do you get?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

I've been a member for over a year, finally caved at age 61 after getting too many solicitations. I really thought it was almost useless.

Then today I went to two optical places to get prices on new lenses for my glasses. I got a new prescription a few weeks ago. We don't have vision insurance so I'm paying for this. One place, VisionWorks, had a coupon for 40% off if you buy a complete pair. The optician asked me if I have an AARP card. I was surprised that I had it with me in my wallet. They told me that an AARP membership gets a 60% discount on a complete pair. That's much cheaper than just getting new lenses and they still had my same frames so I got a whole new pair of glasses for under $200. Maybe that sounds like a lot but I am very near-sighted so I get lined tri-focal, mid-index lenses, I add on Transition and there is usually an additional cost for a strong prescription. My glasses are always costly. Two years ago my glasses were almost $400.

So my AARP membership finally paid off!

(I asked the optician to jot down my pupil distance and my tri-focal spacing so that I can try doing an online order for an additional pair at one of the low cost sites. My needs are fairly specialized.)

So I finally used my AARP card for something worthwhile.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

I gave up after 3 years of membership. There are occasional discounts from merchants, but AAA often overlaps. They will send junk mail to solicit for their insurance programs more or less forever. I didn't need additional insurance, so that didn't help me.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

15% off at Denny's!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #5

Been a member for quite some time. DW and I like the magazines and some places do give you a price break being a member. It's cheap and I like it.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

Their United Health Care Medicare supplement plans are supposed to be among the best. They are community rated, not age rated. I have UHC now and my father had the AARP UHC supplement plan. No problems with them. The One Exchange plans are all through second rate companies known to be difficult. I may hold my nose and join AARP if the supplement plan is really that much better.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Consumer cellular gives a small discount for AARP members.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Their United Health Care Medicare supplement plans are supposed to be among the best. They are community rated, not age rated. I have UHC now and my father had the AARP UHC supplement plan. No problems with them. The One Exchange plans are all through second rate companies known to be difficult. I may hold my nose and join AARP if the supplement plan is really that much better.
That's why I joined; was happy with how DH's UHC supplement worked. I'm pretty sure AAA has most of the same benefits since I don't eat at Denny's!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
gone traveling

If you like your membership being counted as a supporter of their political advocacy positions I suppose belonging is a good thing.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
gone traveling

I despise AARP.
A lobbying organization designed to steal money from children. Your grandchildren.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
If you like your membership being counted as a supporter of their political advocacy positions I suppose belonging is a good thing.
It would be nice if they took a balanced stance on some things. It appears to be "give me more" or you should never get re-elected. I am a member because I volunteer for their VITA tax prep. I do not find any of their benefits to be beneficial.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Avoid.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I despise AARP.
A lobbying organization designed to steal money from children. Your grandchildren.
This
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I despise AARP.
This.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I joined at age 50. Been using that same card the last 17 years for discounts, etc. My wife joined this year, and the magazine is okay--just barely.

You just have to overlook the fact that they are a political action arm that may or may not believe like you. And they often support political candidates I may not like.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

Quote:
I despise AARP.
+1
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #17

Quote:
I despise AARP.
Can you or one of the folks who quoted you please explain this?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I got my AARP card at 50 to prove I was retired as many folks didn't believe me.

(I know, one can still w*rk and have an AARP card, but I'm old fashioned).
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
You only need to be a member the 1st yr to join........not needed after that.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I despise AARP.
No, they are lobbying to keep the SS and medicare system alive and viable so your grandchildren are not prey for the big corporations when they get old and sick.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote