Justice Scalia Dead

Mo Money

Recycles dryer sheets
Wow, this will be an interesting time for Congress and the President. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has passed. Age 79. Found dead after failing to show up for breakfast while a guest at a private Texas ranch.

Last edited:
Just posting this early reminder to avoid any partisan political discussions.

Condolences for his family. It looks like he passed away in his sleep. I cannot think of a better way to go.

That's sad and shocking. He spent the day quail hunting then passed away in his sleep.

Sorry to hear....

The good thing is that he still was very sharp until the end....

I'll miss his uncompromising sharp wit. RIP.

Wow, wasn't expecting that! I didn't realize he was 79 though, would've guessed late 60's.

Obviously he did not know the meaning of the term FIRE....

Funny thing is that if that if I were to be on the SC, I probably would not retire either....

It does seem like they do get a lot of time off... but the work has to be very stimulating....

Heck, I would want to do it for free!!!

They spend a lot of time writing and reflecting. A wonderful job, IMO.

Last May we visited DC. Visited the Supreme Court and it was a very interesting tour. Whether or not we agree with his point of view, we all can wish condolences. It was a good way to go. On vacation, in one's sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Let's not go there.

+1 no politics or park it in another forum.

That aside, as a lawyer I always enjoyed reading his opinions - whether I agreed with them or not. He was a giant intellect and will be missed by the bar and the judicial corps.

Sorry to hear of his passing.
I thought he was younger, but what a way to go if it's your time. Many of us can only hope our own end of life could be like this.

To die at 79 while still working is the antithesis of FIRE, but I guess that shows an example of someone who must have LOVED their job, and could not imagine leaving to retire.

Clearly the SC is not any Megacorp. But still a little part of me felt, damn, all that and still died without getting to retire.

But yes this did just throw the wildest of wild cards into 2016. Hang on to your seats everyone.

RIP, Justice Scalia. From what I've read, he really enjoyed his job. And he passed in his sleep while on vacation. That's a good way to go ,IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, the job is intellectually interesting and challenging, and I figure lower stress than many high-level megacorp jobs (or low-level for that matter). So, I can understand why some want to serve till death.

Still, some jurists retired. An example is Sandra O'Connor. I remember her because she is from my state. She retired in 2006, is still alive and 85 now.

PS. O'Connor was born in Texas, where she currently resides. However, most or all of her career prior to being a SC justice was in Arizona.

Last edited:
So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.

RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.

Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.

Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.

Was that the case in the last few years!

Supposedly when he was in the minority in some big recent cases, he stood and ranted about the majority decision.

Anyways he was the avatar for originality, which is a laughable concept.

Back
Top Bottom