Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #23
gone traveling

Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country.

clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
+1
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
Was that the case in the last few years!

Supposedly when he was in the minority in some big recent cases, he stood and ranted about the majority decision.

Anyways he was the avatar for originality, which is a laughable concept.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #26

Scalia was a brilliant man, regardless of whether his opinions matched yours or mine. I'm glad that AFAIK he led a happy life and died easily.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.
Natalie Cole also.

The reports are that Justice Scalia died of a heart attack.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, some jurists retired. An example is Sandra O'Connor. I remember her because she is from my state. She retired in 2006, is still alive and 85 now.
As I recall the main reason she retired was to help care for her husband who had Alzheimer's. Since the average age of the justices is around 75 years old I'm surprised we don't hear of any of them being diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia since it apparently affects one in three seniors.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was that the case in the last few years!
IMHO, yes. He never held back when he didn't agree with a decision and he would clearly state why.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMHO, yes. He never held back when he didn't agree with a decision and he would clearly state why.
I enjoy reading his dissents...he was an incredibly smart man.

I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia."

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait."
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia." (
He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait."
Agree completely, nothing is sacred anymore in this country. As to the autopsy, thought I heard his family did not want that done.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.
I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.
And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.
Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #36

Quote:
I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed.
I was a bit surprised to see that as well but as Meadbh notes it is up to the coroner or medical examiner or whatever the title is there. Where I worked it was rare for them to order an autopsy if the attending physician was willing to sign the death certificate and then only if there was clear possibility of the death being from other than natural causes.

You are correct though that the decision will give conspiracy theorists something to debate for a long time.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.
And, apparently, he had a hand in recommending that President Obama nominate Justice Kagan.
I will miss Justice Scalia a lot. I hope they are still producing jurists like him somewhere--regardless of their "politics" (or "philosophy").
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm impressed that there are many here who have read and analyzed Justice Scalia's legal opinions.

What do YOU do all day? ;-)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.
And that's why news networks are verboten in our household.

I'm with Harley. I'm too freaked out watching The Fall right now anyway to pay attention to "news"!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm with Harley. I'm too freaked out watching The Fall right now anyway to pay attention to "news"!
What a good show, eh?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote Reply