Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
That is a very good point. Like they say - "Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"

Many people seem to accept alcohol but think Weed is evil - I think the opposite is true.

Peace
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I've never done it but would readily try it .. IF it were truly legal. But will be damned if I'm gonna risk a run-in with the criminal justice system just for a "Test Buzz" .

The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
They would probably give you the electric chair, razzy!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
That is a very good point. Like they say - "Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"

Many people seem to accept alcohol but think Weed is evil - I think the opposite is true.

Peace
Together in moderation my friend.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #44

I have never tried marijuana (or even smoked a regular cigarette) but if I had a medical condition that would be improved by it's use, I would try it, particularly if it were legal here. I don't see it as any worse than a prescription drug or alcohol, all of which can have dire consequences in excess.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #45

Quote:
The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
I'd bet there's a late teens, early twenties guy walking out of his parents' house and up to some cars, right in your neighborhood, or in the next neighborhood over. I've seen that in three different neighborhoods. In two of the cases, the residents of the neighborhood were convinced that the kid was selling. As for the third case, I just watched him and thought, "yep, that's gotta be it". The problem is that you might have a hard time convincing him you weren't out to bust him, hehe!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

23 states allow medical marijuana and getting approval for it can be easy. Start by getting comfortable saying this phrase with a straight face: "Is medical marijuana right for me?" In WA, I was able to get a prescription very easy by looking up "green wellness" naturopathic clinics, scheduling an appt for MMJ evaluation, and stating I had knee/joint pain and was tired of taking Aleve chronically (puns happy accidents, for a multi-level reference for ya). Office visit appt fee is around $200 and there is an annual renewal appt fee, so its not free, and there is some amount of rigor in the evaluation process. In WA the prescription means you can grow your own in addition to buying from collectives. Very satisfying growing your own produce! Now in WA, it is recreationally legal as well, however you still need the Rx to grow your own, unless you get approved as a licensed producer.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm here to tell you, pot is almost as enjoyable in retirement as it was during the career. I now spend half my time in a misdemeanor state, and the other half in a state that will probably legalize or decrim in another year or two. It will be nice to be able to not have to worry about the police, and even better to know that they'll be able to spend their time on real criminals.

And to the poster up above who said something about sitting around watching TV, that's not what happens (unless you want it to). Especially if you're smoking a sativa strain instead of an indica. I use it while hiking, kayaking, playing music, cleaning out the garage, going to movies, working in the yard, hanging out at music festivals with my friends (you know who you are), whatever I choose. Not all the time, just when I feel like it. It improves my focus, and is just a lot of fun. I don't use when I'm woodworking, climbing ladders, other times when it would be stupid.

So I would say go for it, and if you like it do it. If not, don't. That's all most of us ever wanted, the ability to choose without the fear of jail. Definitely don't worry about the feds, they won't be going after individual users.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm here to tell you, pot is almost as enjoyable in retirement as it was during the career. I now spend half my time in a misdemeanor state, and the other half in a state that will probably legalize or decrim in another year or two. It will be nice to be able to not have to worry about the police, and even better to know that they'll be able to spend their time on real criminals.

And to the poster up above who said something about sitting around watching TV, that's not what happens (unless you want it to). Especially if you're smoking a sativa strain instead of an indica. I use it while hiking, kayaking, playing music, cleaning out the garage, going to movies, working in the yard, hanging out at music festivals with my friends (you know who you are), whatever I choose. Not all the time, just when I feel like it. It improves my focus, and is just a lot of fun. I don't use when I'm woodworking, climbing ladders, other times when it would be stupid.

So I would say go for it, and if you like it do it. If not, don't. That's all most of us ever wanted, the ability to choose without the fear of jail. Definitely don't worry about the feds, they won't be going after individual users.
And we all shine on...
Old 11-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #49

Be careful boys and girls the NSA may be lurking
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Beststash;1522733]In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp. I did in it my 20's, stopped until retirement in my 50's. What's not to like?

Why do any of you want to sit around smoking pot? Ok, if you want to do this once a month and balance it with helping in a VA clinic and working with homeless that is fine but I cannot help but read into these message that you all want to vegetate in front of the TV. Do you all not see the horror?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the differences in health consequences of ingested vs smoked? I can see smoking causing lots of damage--our lungs weren't made to breath smoke and particles. The O2 deprivation and presence of CO are also issues.

But ingested? I think you would just get the effects (good and/or bad) of the THC and anything else in the plant.

Anyone know the differences or can you point me to a good reference?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, since until this year it's been pretty much impossible to do any science regarding pot, there's not a lot out there. But here's an article that covers the health benefits of eating pot - Cannabis is Key to Good Health When We Eat it vs. Smoke it | Collective-Evolution.

Obviously smoking causes you to get a lot of carcinogins that you wouldn't get from eating it. Vaping removes that issue, although personally I prefer to smoke it. If you're an every day smoker it's bad for your health, basically the same as being a cigarette smoker, although rolling a joint bypasses all the additives the tobacco companies load into a cigarette. But nobody smokes as much pot as cigarette smokers do tobacco. If you did you'd be something like Blueskies123 imagines all pot smokers are.

If you are like me, and smoke a couple of hits a couple of times/week (the mythical casual toker), I don't think the smoking does anything significant. Especially in retirement. I'm sure I used to get far more lung damage from pollution in my daily commute than I do catching an occasional small buzz now.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post

Why do any of you want to sit around smoking pot? Ok, if you want to do this once a month and balance it with helping in a VA clinic and working with homeless that is fine but I cannot help but read into these message that you all want to vegetate in front of the TV. Do you all not see the horror?
Well hello there Blueskies123, and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introduce yourself to us in the "Hi, am" thread. Let us know a bit about yourself, whether you're ER'ed yet, or planning to, things like that. A brief "Hello" and an introduction is always nice in any group before you start telling us what you think of us all, don't you think?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Whoaaaaa... Duuuuude!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #55

What the heck happened in Florida?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You mean other than Juan Ponce de León's unsuccessful search?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Well hello there Blueskies123, and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introduce yourself to us in the "Hi, am" thread. Let us know a bit about yourself, whether you're ER'ed yet, or planning to, things like that. A brief "Hello" and an introduction is always nice in any group before you start telling us what you think of us all, don't you think?
+1.......Thanks, Major. I was about to say this new guy is a little rude for a newbie.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post

You sound like you need a little mellowing out
Old 11-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You sound like you need a little mellowing out
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure someone here could recommend a particularly good strain for a beginner

Old 11-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You mean like these ladies?

So awesome.
We have a fair number of friends that smoke, though some use vaporizers. I'm kinda ho-hum about it, not a big deal in our circle, nobody really considers it more or less than drinking beer or wine.

I generally don't partake, because it makes me more introverted, which is not the desired effect. Edibles, if you know how strong they are, are probably a better choice. I had a great time with the rice krispy cake purchased at a music festival, and a disastrous time once with a friend's homemade brownie.
"Introverted?" Hmmmm...that must be some pretty strong $h!t.

BTW, great video. I bet the brunette grandma on the left was a firecracker 30 yrs ago. Heck, she probably still is!
Closed Thread