Join Early Retirement Today

Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
gone traveling

Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century

This article talks about a bill signed into law last summer that includes the pension stablization act. Read it over and decide if you believe this legislation is stabilizing pensions or is just more legislative slight of hand.

Seems to me we need a legislative simplification act so that future convoluted and voluminous bills are simplified and totally transparent in what they are actually accomplishing:

The Pension Destabilization Act | Bethany McLean
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 IMO, pension contribution requirements were weak to begin with, so anything that weakens them further, even if just temporarily, is not prudent to me.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Administrator

If I were employed and covered by a pension affected by this measure I would not be happy.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If I were employed and covered by a pension affected by this measure I would not be happy.
I think you could strike "employed and". I'm a participant in a DB plan and the notion of weaker funding requirements doesn't sit well with me but there isn't much I can do about it other than complain.

From the link, I had the impression that all DB plans would be affected by the act (but I read it quickly).

In my case the DB plan sponsor is pretty responsible so I'm not very concerned.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think you could strike "employed and". I'm a participant in a DB plan and the notion of weaker funding requirements doesn't sit well with me but there isn't much I can do about it other than complain.
Good point.

The act changes the interest rate companies must use to calculate their funding requirements. By allowing an average of the past 25 years, the rate right now is the best it will get for the foreseeable future. Companies will benefit today but future contributions will be more costly if interest rates rise.

If overfunding results from this calculation, it may be easier to withdraw the excess, or part of it.

PBGC contributions increase. Ths is good.

Here's a brief I found with some detail https://www.buckconsultants.com/port...-a-Reality.pdf
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote