Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just to be a stickler, the claim that uninsured medical costs are the number one cause of bankruptcies is not necessarily logically inconsistent with a 17% incidence. Maybe there were a lot of main causes and none were 17% of the total.

Here's one of those studies reporting a high incidence of bankruptcies due to medical causes. From the abstract: "About half cited medical causes, which indicates that 1.9–2.2 million Americans (filers plus dependents) experienced medical bankruptcy

Looking at this study, I agree that it does a poor job of making clear exactly what role the lack of medical coverage played in the bankruptcies.

Here is a good study attempting to tease out the various reasons for personal bankruptcies. The most significant factor causing personal bankruptcies is not medical expenses . And, it's not job loss. It is overspending:
Quote:
This paper utilizes the population of personal bankruptcy filings in the state of Delaware during 2003 and finds that household expenditures on durable consumptions, such as houses and automobiles, contribute significantly to personal bankruptcy. Adverse medical conditions also lead to personal bankruptcy filings, but other adverse events such as divorce and unemployment have marginal effects. Over-consumption makes
households financially over-stretched and more susceptible to adverse events, which reconcile the strategic filing and adverse event explanations
As one author looking at the above study put it:
Quote:
having a serious medical condition makes you 50% more likely to file for bankruptcy, but not because of medical bills; medical bills are only a very small percentage of the overall debt of bankrupts, and are not significantly correlated with higher credit card debt, which one would expect if people were keeping down their medical bills by charging them to Visa. Presumably it's the income effect of disability or caretaking responsibilities.

Job loss may precipitate bankruptcy, but bankrupts don't report being laid off at a significantly higher rate than the control group. The difference is, the control group had savings to cover its financial emergency.
It looks like overconsumption of durable goods is the major cause of bankruptcies.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Just to be a stickler, the claim that uninsured medical costs are the number one cause of bankruptcies is not necessarily logically inconsistent with a 17% incidence.
You are correct. I think I mentally read RIT's "#1 cause" as "majority of", which are not always the same thing. I probably made that slip because so many of the headlines from that report said something like 'over half the bankruptcies...'

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Someone kindly send a link to this thread to Elizabeth Warren. She likes to point to medical issues as the cause of bankruptcies a lot.

And from samclem's link "Presumably it's the income effect of disability or caretaking responsibilities." - This is probably as much cause as the actual bills. Combine living above one's means and having no savings and you are walking a financial tight rope. Then add in illness and loss of income from a job due to caretaking or disability, and that in and of itself would lead to bankruptcy in many cases regardless of medical bills.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

What’s the definition of bankrupt?

At 12-18-09 04:14:51 PM GMT we were at $12,135,856,734,588.51 according to U.S. National Debt Clock

To me were all ready there.
wasgotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasgotfire View Post
I also am confused about that. Maybe when we hold a Treasury Auction, and no one shows up?

-ERD50
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe we start auctioning off hard assets that aren't being used very efficiently. The Capitol, the Whitehouse, etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good question. Maybe when the federal government's debts exceed all of its assets (land, buildings, property, et cetera)? Until then, the government could theoretically remain solvent by selling off assets to retire debts. Not that it would happen, but that might be one way to define it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Until then, the government could theoretically remain solvent by selling off assets to retire debts. Not that it would happen, but that might be one way to define it.
How do you place an accurate value on Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon?

Priceless...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Priceless...
Maybe next time the UN meets in NYC, hold an auction on the courthouse steps outside? Highest bidder?

Who will be snapping up US properties a la Japan circa 1989?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Who will be snapping up US properties a la Japan circa 1989?
Whaddya bet the Sultan of Dubai has his eye on White Sands National Monument...
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My thoughts are that this thread will have posts deleted due to political content and will quickly be porky pigged.
..say it ain't true, REWahoo!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whaddya bet the Sultan of Dubai has his eye on White Sands National Monument...
Speaking of bankrupt governments... Dubai is apparently not doing so well these days.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Priceless...
Put it on ebay?

-ERD50
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Owing money does not make you bankrupt.

Owing money beyond your ability to pay does.

The Federal government has revenues that are above $2.5 trillion. Interest on the debt is currently about $450 billion.

We are reaching dangerous levels, but wise action can still avert disaster.

Quote:

At 12-18-09 04:14:51 PM GMT we were at $12,135,856,734,588.51 according to U.S. National Debt Clock

To me were all ready there.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Heck, the US is already bankrupt, there are just arguments over how bad.

The real question, when will the currency be officially devalued? Amero anyone?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The real question, when will the currency be officially devalued? Amero anyone?
I'm waiting for the day the US government officially pegs the $ to the Ugandan Shilling (UGX) in order to stabilize the dollar.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm waiting for the day the US government officially pegs the $ to the Ugandan Shilling (UGX) in order to stabilize the dollar.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bankruptcy is a technical term that I don't think applies to the US. As I have said in previous posts, the US government will not default on its debt. It will print the monies necessary to retire its debts.

The real concern is the value of the $ relative to other currencies or commodities (oil).

You will know in no uncertain terms the jig is up on our profligate spending the day that Congress institutes capital controls. It is the final acknowledgement that the US $ is on its way to being worthless. Stopping the flow of $ into other non-US denominated assets is the final step to try to protect the currency.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Bankruptcy is a technical term that I don't think applies to the US. As I have said in previous posts, the US government will not default on its debt. It will print the monies necessary to retire its debts.
Right. As long as there is a printing press cranking out fiat money, bankruptcy isn't the likely outcome -- high inflation would be.

Still, as an aside I question why the president would use a term like this when not all that long ago, he was chiding his opponents for using scare tactics about health care reform. Is it any more likely that we'd go bankrupt than, say, Grandma not getting a hip replacement because she's over 70 and we're rationing care?