Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I don't think they will lose sympathizers so long as they stick to grievances. It's offering constructive proposals that is dangerous to revolutionary movements.
They'll attract non-thinkers. But anyone with sense will know they are lost cause IMO. How can you claimed illegal foreclosure when they failed to pay their mortgage on time or missed payment for 6 months or more? Everyone needs to take responsibility for their stupidity. Everyone is accountable for their own finances unless their finances was in ruined with no fault of their own such as when investors were fraudulently presented with falsified financial statements.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Shades of the Hard Hat Riot . I hope it doesn't come to that.
Not this time around since both students and union labors are in the same side. It's against the capitalism out of all things.

Although in my mind I can whip those young punks, I know better since my body can not cash. I'm just venting cause if messed up my work route today.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

When 400 of the richest people in America have more money & wealth than 150 million of the poorest in America...the poor and the middle class, in our country will protest! Thank...., we have that right as America's!

Trex
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with you people? Protests are fun! I used to go to protests when I was young, dumb, and full of something. Living just outside DC there were plenty of opportunities. I actually got arrested at a protest once. I'm not sure what it was for, but we were marching around chanting "no more welfare, we want child care!" And after we got released I got quite lucky with one of my fellow arrestees. So see it as what it is, a party organized by a few idealistic leaders and fleshed out by people looking to either change the world or meet interesting people of the opposite (or whatever your inclination is) sex.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...got quite lucky...
Yeah, that...

Never really did much protesting, okay none, though I did some Thoreau, that is to say, I was broke and without a j*b, which, as it turns out, is just practice for retirement.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless the Occupy Wall Street effort develops into full scale chaos and revolution (which I doubt) they will have little or no affect on retirement. Localized rioting could affect the functioning of the exchange on a temporary basis which could have minor effects on the investment activities of retirees.

Notice the correct usage of "affect" and "effect"? 8>)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What's wrong with you people? Protests are fun! I used to go to protests when I was young, dumb, and full of something.
I was watching bemused, not participating, in the Harvard 1961 diploma riots, protesting Harvard's decision to change the language of its diplomas from Latin to English. That was fun, and pretty much just an expression of undergrad high spirits and mischief. Later, I was teaching as a grad assistant at Ohio State in 1970 when the OSU campus was occupied by armed and scared national guardsmen after sit-ins protesting the Kent State killings. That was not nearly as much fun.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I put this in the category of the WTO protests, except much less violent so far. Anticipated effect: minimal. Could snowball into a well funded union backed political movement, if the 99-percenters are open to being pawns. I suppose they would be as long as the unions buy em pizza and beer!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
Unless the Occupy Wall Street effort develops into full scale chaos and revolution (which I doubt) they will have little or no affect on retirement. Localized rioting could affect the functioning of the exchange on a temporary basis which could have minor effects on the investment activities of retirees.
But see, that's not really where I think the *potential* impact is. I think there's a growing sense of economic desperation, one this movement may be tapping into to an extent, a feeling that in the future there *will* be no retirement for most of us in the future if things don't change. Pensions have been gutted in the private sector and the private sector has lost enough ground that they can't keep up with the cost of public sector benefits. Health care is a mess and rising at double digit rates. We're getting pay cuts in *real* dollars, making it harder and harder to invest for ourselves and our own retirements. And when we do, our 401Ks remain in the toilet.

That's the feeling out there, I think -- yes, it's mostly "I can't find a decent job" but I think the entire undercurrent is "...and no way in hell can I retire healthy and at a decent age unless forced out before I can afford it."

I'm not sure this is the answer, and truth be told I cringe at the thought of it being hijacked by polarizing groups who will dilute the original message which I think was less partisan and ideological. It started in populism, I think, and I'd hate to see it morph into partisanism. I don't think the original thought was to dismantle capitalism, just to restrain it a bit in the hopes that a rising tide can lift all boats again. And I don't know how the middle class gets "retirement relief" (again I stress, that among mostly middle class folks we collectively are extreme outliers in terms of readiness for retirement) through the political process when it feels like the stars are aligning for making harder than ever, at least in the post-WW2 era.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's the feeling out there, I think -- yes, it's mostly "I can't find a decent job" but I think the entire undercurrent is "...and no way in hell can I retire healthy and at a decent age unless forced out before I can afford it."
"... and if we don't fix this country now then I might have to start living within my means and saving my own money for retirement!!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

affect and effect. The verb affect means "to influence something", and the noun effect means "the result of". Effect can also be a verb that means "to cause [something] to be", while affect as a noun has technical meanings in psychology, music, and aesthetic theory: an emotion or subjectively experienced feeling. A device to remember when trying to decide which is the right choice: If something affects you it usually has an effect on you.
  • Standard. This poem affected me so much that I cried.
  • Standard. Temperature has an effect on reaction spontaneity.
  • Standard. The dynamite effected the wall's collapse.
  • Standard. He seemed completely devoid of affect.
  • Non-standard. The rain effected our plans for the day.
  • Non-standard. We tried appeasing the rain gods, but to no affect

Trex
Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"... and if we don't fix this country now then I might have to start living within my means and saving my own money for retirement!!"
It's a difficult transition. One that's necessary, I agree, but hard. But be a little fair here -- you have your pension and health care lined up in retirement (you earned it by upholding the deal you signed up for, don't get me wrong) -- so maybe you don't see it's harder and harder for most people to save for their own retirement when their wages are going down relative to inflation, they are losing benefits rapidly (especially in the private sector, though the public may be catching up soon) and more and more are seeing unemployment or underemployment eat into their ability to fund their own retirements.

This sounds a little "let them eat cakey" to me, I have to confess.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But see, that's not really where I think the *potential* impact is. I think there's a growing sense of economic desperation, one this movement may be tapping into to an extent, a feeling that in the future there *will* be no retirement for most of us in the future if things don't change.
Seems a stretch to me, based on looking at the disparate signs they are carrying, what they are saying to reporters, etc. I don't think these folks are motivated by the threat to their retirement plans. They just want to rage at the system. Okay, whatever. Zzzzzz.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Seems a stretch to me, based on looking at the disparate signs they are carrying, what they are saying to reporters, etc. I don't think these folks are motivated by the threat to their retirement plans. They just want to rage at the system. Okay, whatever. Zzzzzz.
Most of them are obviously too young to be thinking of retirement issues and I'm sure very few of them have that *specifically* on their minds. But the ability to find decent jobs is a big first step toward being able to fund retirement. Whether it's 401K contributions, IRA contributions or years of service in a pension plan, you can't get closer to retirement without a job that enables you to work toward it.

(I was thinking about it in my early 20s and contributed to my 401K until I bled -- but again, I'm an outlier. It will take some time and painful adjustment for the masses to see it, too. And I was able to get a career-oriented programming job even *before* graduating from college, back in 1987. Good luck with that today.)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of them are obviously too young to be thinking of retirement issues and I'm sure very few of them have that *specifically* on their minds. But the ability to find decent jobs is a big first step toward being able to fund retirement. Whether it's 401K contributions, IRA contributions or years of service in a pension plan, you can't get closer to retirement without a job that enables you to work toward it.
So they've gone to Wall Street to find a good job? Good for them, my faith in America's youth is restored. I'd thought they'd gone there to have a protest against big corporations, which sounded like just the opposite of looking for work.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
  • Standard. This poem affected me so much that I cried.
  • Standard. Temperature has an effect on reaction spontaneity.
  • Standard. The dynamite effected the wall's collapse.
  • Standard. He seemed completely devoid of affect.
But in the first three of these, except in spelling pronunciations, "affect" and "effect" are pronounced the same way. So it makes sense for people to spell them the same.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I hope this doesn't go political and derail before we can hear some thoughts from the members of this forum. I haven't paid much attention to this recently but it seems to be growing and has caught my interest. I'm beginning to think its gaining traction and may impact our country. What do you think about the Occupy Wall Street phenomenon?
My question, as originally heard, by me, from Kai Ryssdal? (Nat'l Public Radio) is "what took 'em so long?"

The Tea Party has their points, what's taken so long for the "other side" to come up with a gripe?

-CC
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
The Tea Party has their points, what's taken so long for the "other side" to come up with a gripe?

-CC
What is the "other side"of the Tea Party? Folks who want bigger government? And what, government has been shrinking lately? I don't think these guys are the opposite of the Tea Party--something else entirely.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
When 400 of the richest people in America have more money & wealth than 150 million of the poorest in America...the poor and the middle class, in our country will protest! Thank...., we have that right as America's!
+1
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
The Tea Party has their points, ...
Name two.