Our tax money, gone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's post articles here of how our tax money is lost or stolen.
There seems to be an assumption that if the money hadn't been lost or stolen then it wouldn't have been spent on that project in the first place.

There seems to be an assumption that if the money hadn't been lost or stolen then it wouldn't have been spent on that project in the first place.

Spending the money is one thing but not knowing where it went or where it is is another. I'm tired of the government claiming to be broke and raising the debt ceiling and having no idea where our money went.

I'm tired of the government claiming to be broke and raising the debt ceiling and having no idea where our money went.
I used to get that from my daughter all the time...

I think part of the "problem" is that the auditors may feel the documentation doesn't meet their standards. Audits are painful, time-consuming, expensive, and not necessarily worth the effort.

A neighbor is a GS-14 comptroller at PACDIV, a major military infrastructure-building command. They're the ones who negotiate the multi-gazillion dollar contracts to build new facilities on military bases or in military housing complexes. A few years ago he did the civilian equivalent of a one-year IA in Iraq, acting as an intermediary between the U.S. and the Iraqi local governments (such as they are).

He said his job was to teach the local city/tribal councils to ask the local/national government for the funds that they were entitled to. All their requests (for example, a new electric utility) had been forwarded up the chain for Iraq's new government to collate and decide. When that utility plant was approved, though, Iraq's new central govt wouldn't hand out the money until someone asked for it. The local city/tribal councils had been "trained" (by the previous administration's coercion, imprisonment, and occasional executions) not to ask for it. An "advocate" for that council had to go tell the government to cough it up, and perhaps he'd be entitled to a consulting fee for his facilitation efforts.

Even when the municipality of a remote area got the funds they were entitled to, it was a challenge to make sure they weren't ripped off by bad contractors or other carpet-baggers. But the money did go to Iraq and it did get spent in Iraq, and at least 51% of it was spent as intended.

The money directly stimulated Iraq's economy. Under those conditions, though, it was difficult to find an auditor who would agree that the money was properly spent.

73ss454 said:
I wonder where this money is coming from and how much of it we will ever see again.

Clinton launches business loan program in Haiti - Yahoo! News

The Interim Haiti Recovery Commission is a group of 19 countries that donated money in 2010. The US donated $120M. The Clinton Foundation collects private donations from individual and corporate donors and channels them to various third world problems. The program described in the article you list involves US and international businesses loaning or donating to individuals and businesses in Haiti and is not supported by tax dollars. I can't post links, but it was easy to google. Politifact reports that just 1% of the federal budget or 0.19% of US GDP goes to foreign aid. As a comparison, Canada contributes 0.32% of it's GDP for foreign aid and Sweden contributes 0.99%. You'll be happy to know that of the OECD member countries, the US is the, uh, thriftiest with the lowest percentage of foreign aid by GDP. Israel and Egypt are the recipients of the largest share of US aid receiving a combined total of approximately 1/3 of all foreign aid.

Thanks Stella, that makes me feel better. Now, if we can only find the 18 Billion we are missing in Iraq.

Thanks Stella, that makes me feel better. Now, if we can only find the 18 Billion we are missing in Iraq.

"Small change can often be found under seat cushions."
-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love" by Robert Heinlein

“A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
-- Newspaper misquote of Senator Everett Dirksen (which he thought was pretty good) from a March 8, 1962 press conference

I like the way the writer of the article calls the spending a disease.

It especially hurts when one considers that the $60B will wind up (at a macro level) extracted from Medicare and SS.

It especially hurts when one considers that the $60B will wind up (at a macro level) extracted from Medicare and SS.

The thing that amazes me is no one seems to be upset about this. Yet if $15 was missing from a SS check people would be up in arms.

What gets me is that this is just business as usual in washington. No way they would even THINK of using thier own money as loosely..............

fwest said:
What gets me is that this is just business as usual in washington. No way they would even THINK of using thier own money as loosely..............

Really? I seem to remember a candidate who couldn't remember how many houses he owned.

What pisses me off is the stuff that they should be spending our tax dollars on never has enough funding. I was managing a big highway project in Las Vegas before I retired that is going to cost a couple of billion dollars. That sounds like so much until you see they waste and lose many, many times more that that seemingly all the time. That's just one example.

You want better highways, bridges, national parks, border security, etc., there's never enough money for that, but they waste enough to fund all that and more and no one cares.

$60B is not chump change. But it is pretty small compared to the $1+T that we will spend on Iraq.

You all of the rest of us will get an opportunity to make that polling booth choice very soon.

In effect, some politicians are saying choose either defense or SS and Medicare... (one or the other)!!! And defense is the choice of the group that is forcing the decision.

There is at least one candidate for president that has made their intentions clear... dismantle SS and Medicare.

I believe it is a manufactured issue to force one or the other.... but it could come down to Medicare and SS or Defense costs.

You will decide and it will be pretty soon!

I believe we can have both defense and SS+Medicare. For that matter, I believe our country needs both. It does not have to be: pick one!

The EU and Japan some parts of Asia and the middle east are getting a free ride on defense costs for the last 50 years. Why should we shoulder all of that burden? The combined EU and Japanese Economies are little bigger than the US. Why should we continue to pay all of that cost and provide them with an economic advantage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom