Yes the media is super bias 54 62.79%
Yes the media is moderately bias 25 29.07%
Yes the media is just a little bias 3 3.49%
No the media is not bias at all 4 4.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes the media is biased and it has always been biased. Today I took a tour of Boston and saw the site of the Boston Massacre. It was interesting to see how that event was reported in the papers of the day compared to what actually took place.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I think the media is super bias and I get really sick of it.

I feel they sort of have a responsibility to tell you what is going on without distorting everything.

I would like to know what is going on without all the BS!

I just wanted to see if I'm alone on feeling this way about the news.

Jim
I agree 100%! It's not only the national media either! Here in our podunk small town (pop. ~20k), the local newspaper is extremely biased, leaning very far toward only one political perspective....in fact if they leaned any farther, they'd be laying on their side! They will report positively on ANY story or subject matter that is in line with THEIR social or political ideologies...and they will either totally ignore or report quite negatively on those stories or subject matters that are not in line with THEIR ideologies. Likewise, our local radio station is cut from the same cloth.

Needless to say, I don't have much use for either one!!! I normally read the paper from the next town over, which is highly unbiased! They report both sides in their stories, and don't take 'sides'. And their local radio stations do the same! It's very refreshing!!!

Actually, I'm personally quite biased myself, but I'm more than willing to hear both sides...THEN choose my position on any given matter. However, I really don't want or need the media (or anyone else for that matter) to tell me what I'm supposed to think or believe. I would just like the news media to report the news....all the news...and nothing but the news.....WITHOUT any bias....of course that would most likely cost them a pretty big chunk of income from some of their corporate and political sponsors.

Being retired, I need unbiased info on subject matters that either personally affect me now, or that inevitably will affect me in the future. Whether it be taxes, health care, zoning, SS, insurance, medical advances, or whatever. Just gimme da facts...an' lemme cypher 'em out for myself!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I find CNBC is incredibly biassed and cheerleaders. I watch it to help understand the irrational nature of markets. I also enjoy Jon Stewart when he provides his humorous insights.

I watch Fox so I get the thinking of a large part of our society. I seldom watch CNN, prefering to get news from the mainstream media. CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes are never missed in our house. I get an O'Reilly fix about once a week.

I like Joe Scarborough. He seems to be a voice of reason amid the clutter.

(where are the 5%ers who believe in no bias at all?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think cnn and fox news are both biased some from past viewing. Fox seems to be more overtly intentionally biased. cnn.com, on the other hand, seems to be fair and balanced for the most part, unlike foxnews.com which seems to have more of a political slant to their stories and to the types of stories covered. I skim some of the news sites, but never watch cnn/fox news any more (no cable).

BBC and economist seem to be a good mix of news without the political slant, and it is actually news instead of infotainment. Or google news if I'm looking for something in particular. The local CBS affiliate has decent local news on their website too. But it is frequently very superficial.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Media bias ranges from moderate and unavoidable to ridiculous and intentional.

For all the complaints against the "mainstream" media (The New York Times, ABC, NBC, etc) they seem to actually try to report the news objectively. Whereas other "news" outlets, like Fox and MSNBC, seem to have adopted a deliberately biased format.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Al-Jeezera for the straight skinny - mixed in with a little Fred on Everything when he sets forth to pontificate.

heh heh heh - I'm waiting for the female reporters to pole dance while doing interviews - to juice up the ratings vs other networks. .
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
gone traveling

Is the media biased?

is this a trick question?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Is the media biased?

It's like asking "Is the Pope catholic "
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Is the media biased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
From some of the responses, I'd say we may be learning/confirming more about bias in the poster than about bias in the media.

Kinda like that old phrase that the definition of someone with "good taste" is a person who likes the same things you do?

-ERD50
Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
...a blinding flash of the obvious?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
From some of the responses, I'd say we may be learning/confirming more about bias in the poster than about bias in the media.

Kinda like that old phrase that the definition of someone with "good taste" is a person who likes the same things you do?
Not sure I agree.

When I was trained on how to deal with the media (yeah, we had a school for it, why not? we had one for everything else), The Big Rule was "never lie". Or more accurately, never get caught lying to the media. Apparently their pet peeve is to find out that a source has given them false info. Violators were subject to unmerciful public floggings, with video, live at 6 and 10.

So, you told the truth or dodged the question, but never told a lie.

For all that honesty, there was never one story that they got right. Not even the ones where all the reporting they did was come by and pick up a copy of the press release - which just amazed me. They would get the date and the location right, some of the basic facts, and then they would ad lib something that made you wonder what they were smoking.

The last couple of years of my career I had an open door to the media, most particularly the local "investigative" reporters. My boss told me "we play ball with these guys, give them access, or they'll still figure it out and broadcast their own version, which will not be complimentary."

My experience was that the more open you were the better they treated you, but they always slanted the story. Even when the reporter would admit we had done something perfect, his story would make it sound as if we had barely managed to pull victor from the jaws of incompetence. No outright lies were told, it was just the way they told the truth (and what they chose to include or cut from the story).

And the advertising frenzy leading up to some stories (Tonight at ten, Local 10 Investigates reporter Roger X reports on a crime problem out of control and XPD's response - you'll be shocked!) was ridiculously slanted. The story would be the usual, but it bore no resemblance to what a viewer would expect from the hype.

I called and complained the first time that ever happened to me and was told to wait and watch the story. The story was okay, but God knows how many millions saw the advertisements, never saw the story, and came up with an opinion based on pure BS. Their answer to that was that the marketing department made up the ads and the reporters had no control over what they put out. Yeah, right.

All the general assignment reporters, radio talk show hosts, newspaper reporters, etc., ALL had their story written before they ever approached me. I was just the 30 seconds of film they needed, or the guy who gave the quotes that they would take out of context in their stories.

Color me biased, I figure I earned it.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Very long ago, I was installing a seismometer in Vermont near Bennington. Since the media paid $50.- for leads, at least five people called in my presence.

A reporter duly showed up with cameraman in tow. Interviewed me for about 10 minutes. My face was presented on the evening news, then again "live at ten", breaking news.

The only thing the reporter got right is the fact that it had something to do with earthquakes.

All the other facts were wrong. Even though he took notes in addition to my words. My sound bite was "I'll be here about 4 more hours setting up telemetry". I guess he was impressed with the word telemetry, after trying five times still could not pronounce it.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #33

I might dig out some stuff out of one of my boxes of old work stuff and try to find the tally sheet I had for the most times I was misquoted on one story. It was over a high profile moment of a scandalous and titillating publicity stunt seen by a large television audience, setting records for TIVO replays and tongues wagging. One of the secretaries started a count on how many times the same misquote was picked up by different media sources as fact. It was a couple of hundred or so if I remember correctly.
Quote:
So, what you're saying is 'X'? "No, not at all"

So, are you saying 'X'? "No, that's not what I said"
An hour later I looked at the newspaper's website and saw myself quoted as saying "X".

I guess once it is in print all they have to do is attribute the original source and they're done "fact checking".
Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
For all that honesty, there was never one story that they got right. Not even the ones where all the reporting they did was come by and pick up a copy of the press release - which just amazed me. They would get the date and the location right, some of the basic facts, and then they would ad lib something that made you wonder what they were smoking.
That seems to be the universal experience. I've been the investigator on several events and then wondered where the reporter got their story from.

I suppose it all depends on one's perspective, and what one believes to be important.

Reminds me of DW the day before our wedding, and she was very concerned about the weather. Channel 9 said the next day would be "partly cloudy" and channel 7 said "mostly sunny".

So she only watched channel 7. We still laugh about that one.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #35

As an aside to Leonidas' story I had one in particular. I arrested a prominent black civil rights leader in the community, for simply not signing a traffic ticket. According to him he was stopped because he was black and given the citation because he was black, and arrested because he was black. The truth of the matter is he was driving a nondescript SUV, when driving an SUV was the thing to do. The SUV had dark tinted window as was the norm in the state I worked. The traffic stop occurred at 1200 AM so as far as I knew there wasn't a driver in the vehicle, because I couldn't see in the SUV. The local rag got word of the incident and ran with it. They published his side of the story that I was rude, discourteous, racist etc. When the case went to court the person tried to argue that I was rude, discourteous, racist, etc. It would have worked, except I had the whole traffic stop on video tape. The person, who was a lawyer, was told by the judge if he continued to lie in the court room he would be held in contempt of court and spend some time in jail. As soon as the guy found out the whole thing had been videoed he changed his plea. The local rag never printed "the rest of the story." So life went on the DW continued to be harassed at her work, and I finally grew tired of the issue and moved on to greener pastures.

Oh yeah, the arrest and conviction were later expunged, and the person is now a representative in the state's legislature.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

In my first encounter with newspaper reporting, I was misquoted a number of times and selectively excerpted for an important front page issue. Very slanted reporting (they should have stuck it in the editorial section!). I also learned that off the record doesn't mean off the record. I soon got into a bitter email exchange with the reporter, and then eventually she explained how things worked in the media biz.

Moral of the story - be very guarded in what you say, and don't take offense when you are misquoted or your opinion is mischaracterized. That has worked pretty well with ensuing encounters with the media. Say a bunch of nothing and don't lie. When you have a printed press release or fact sheet available, shove that in their face and don't go into specifics, especially if you are being recorded. And remember that the reporters are putting together 10 stories at a time and probably understand your area of expertise about half as well as the average Joe Blow out there. Facts aren't nearly as important as spicing things up to sell advertising.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems to me that often the bias becomes apparent not in how an outlet covers stories, but in what stories they do not/will not cover. Or, when they give certain politicians a free pass by not digging deeper at news conferences when the politician (of any party) glosses over something or outright lies.

Its not just in this country either. My uncle from Australia thinks most everyone in the USA loves the current administration (and the health care plan) and hated Bush. Told me those are common beliefs where he lives. He also thinks Americans are racist... but justifies how (white) Australians feel towards the Aborigines.

I watch and listen to a variety of news sources: CNN, Fox, BBC networks, and many online newspapers.

I know a former reporter for CNN, and she had some great inside view of a big part of the problem: 24 hour news and so many outlets competing for market share. Editorial is far cheaper to produce than news and none of the major outlets has the resources to produce true 24 hour news... far easier to pay a few talking heads to talk for hours with a handful of reporters than to have reporters devoting resources to digging into stories, going on scene, investigating and actually reporting. A 15 minute news story is far more profitable when you have a talking head stretch it out into an hour long editorial/discussion.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the Van Jones controversy that led up to his resignation this weekend shows just how biased the media is. It is notable that prior to his resignation, much had been made on certain media channels of some controversial statements he had recently made, and his name being on a petition to investigate a government conspiracy concerning 9-11. Yet, not ONE word was mentioned about this "Green" czar by the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, ABC, NBC or CBS. Just do a nexis search.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Just one data point, but our local newspaper in our small (pop 30K) came to the manufacturing plant about 15 years ago because we called the Fire Dept as a precaution from a welding fire. He arrived within minutes after the FD, pen/pad and recorder at the ready, and wanted to speak to our Plant Manager (me).

First question: How many fatalities (I kid you not)?
Me: None

Second Q: Any serious injuries.
Me: No injuries of any kind.

Third Q: Was there an explosion?
Me: No, it was small fire on an empty storage tank (outside) we were repairing/welding on. We called the Fire Dept as a precaution in case the fire got away from us. We had fire extinguishers and a water cannon standing by before we started welding (SOP) in case of a fire. [In 36 years, we have never had a significant fire, but the Fire Dept has always told us to call them as a precaution - better safe than sorry.]

Fourth Q: Any signficant damage?
Me: No, we were able to put out the first quickly. All that burned was some residue on a carbon steel storage tank outdoors.

Turned off the recorder, back in his car, and away he went...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I agree. Fox news is the only media outlet that i've noticed that is overtly biased. I'm sure others are in their own way but Fox News makes no effort to hide it.
I guess you may have not seen MSNBC then....Seriously!
Closed Thread