Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 112 74.17%
No 26 17.22%
Other/Not Sure 13 8.61%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Never smoked it. Wouldn't smoke if it were legal. But I still support legalization. Sell it and tax it like alcohol.
Heh, but if we legalized it we wouldn't be able to terrorize people with "random" urine tests.

Personally, I am wondering how long it will take for states or the feddle gummint to criminalize Magic Mint (aka salvia divinorum).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Personally, I am wondering how long it will take for states or the feddle gummint to criminalize Magic Mint (aka salvia divinorum).
There's currently a bill in the Texas statehouse that would do that. I don't know the details; at the minimum I know it would prohibit sale to minors.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, but if we legalized it we wouldn't be able to terrorize people with "random" urine tests.

OK brewer, I'm feelin' like an old fogie here. What's "magic mint"? Yeah, I know I can google it but would rather hear your description.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
What's "magic mint"?
  1. Erowid Salvia divinorum Vault : Timeline
  2. Erowid Salvia Divinorum (Ska Pastora) Vault
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the "tax the hell out of it" is going to work. Much too easy to grow at home. Booze, especially hard liquor, presents some challenges to home brew requiring stills and a bunch of know-how. Even then, the feds have to roam the hills to keep homebrewers out of business. Grass only requires a grow lamp and a little space indoors or a small plot if you're a home owner. No one would buy commercial grass if it was made expensive by taxes.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sure most kids if asked why they smoke pot would answer by saying its easier to get than alcohol..I wonder how much per year its costing us taxpayers to fight this supposed war on drugs,whatever the cost the 40yr crusade isnt working if its still possible for my kids to get pot in their highschool easier than cigarettes or booze.Lets try legalizing the stuff and put a lot of saved money into something usefull.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I don't think the "tax the hell out of it" is going to work. Much too easy to grow at home. Booze, especially hard liquor, presents some challenges to home brew requiring stills and a bunch of know-how. Even then, the feds have to roam the hills to keep homebrewers out of business. Grass only requires a grow lamp and a little space indoors or a small plot if you're a home owner. No one would buy commercial grass if it was made expensive by taxes.
It is legal to home brew beer and wine but not many people do it. It is "legal" to grow marijuana in California with a prescription but users still flock to the "medical" stores. We tax cigarettes and there is a black market (mentioned in a previous post) but that traffic doesn't dominate the market. A legal marijuana market would probably deliver a decent tax revenue stream but not enough to solve many of our problems. The only thing it would help is law enforcement and prisons - and of course the people caught up in the enforcement effort.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Here is an interesting article about Portugal's decriminalization by Glenn Greenwald (yes, yes, whacky lefty, but he cites good sources including Scientific American). In a nutshell - Portugal was suffering a drug crisis in the 90s, decriminalized all recreational drugs in 2001, use in every drug catagory has declined while use has gone up elsewhere in the EU. Even opponents of decriminalization acknowledge the success of Portugal's program.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think the "tax the hell out of it" is going to work. Much too easy to grow at home.
It works for tobacco...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

hmmm... let me think about what my position on this should be.

It's so easy to get now that legalizing wouldn't make it that much more available. Currently millions of people use it regularly without any problems. It would be nice if the imbibers didn't have to be afraid of prison, job loss, and asset confiscation just because they wanted to mellow out at a blues festival or movie. Obviously responsibility for your actions would be required whether high, drunk, sober, or stupid. The actions are what matter, not the excuse.

My main reason for legalizing would be to decrease the crime and violence aspect of it all. I think legalizing would work better than decriminalizing for that. I know Dex thinks the other drugs would keep the crime high, but there's a much smaller market for them, and I think there would be a significant decrease in crime just due to the market share.

As for the tax basis. Decrim would allow the sellers to pay taxes on their profits, but would still keep it a "grey market". Legal would be better.

Just an aside on the Salvia issue. It's a mediocre drug, short lived buzz, not much fun. The states getting involved in outlawing it are creating a situation where the kids are going to try it. "If it's illegal, it must be fun!" I can flat out guarantee that if pot was legal or decriminalized NOBODY would be smoking Salvia. It's just not that good. It's like bathtub gin. Nobody kept drinking it once prohibition was over.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Legalize it, tax it, sell it it in the supermarkets. Treat it in DUI and workplace same as booze.

Never used the stuff, though in Alaska once was paid for some marine radio and radar repairs with a shopping bag full of sensamille (spelling?). Which I then traded traded for stuff I needed.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It works for tobacco...
There's really no comparison there Zig. Growing and processing a year's supply of tobacco for a smoker would be a big job to take on. Impossible inside your home. A lot of space necessary if done outdoors. A year's supply of grass for a casual user....... no problem indoors or out.

Sure, the gov't could add a tax to packs of joints sold across the counter. I'm just saying that if they made the tax too high (I think "tax the hell out of it" was mentioned), it would be easy for folks to grow their own. Much, much easier than growing tobacco or distilling hard liquor.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
A legal marijuana market would probably deliver a decent tax revenue stream but not enough to solve many of our problems.
It might. I'm just suggesting that growing marijuana is so easy, indoors or out, that if the gov't tried to levy a high tax on it, many would grow their own. The more ambitious would probably pop an extra plant or eight in the garden to be sure friends and relatives had plenty if their crop should have some issue.

Replacing drug enforcement police arresting users with revenue agents arresting growers would simply be jumping out of the skillet into the fire.

I say legalize it, but don't count on being able to levy a high tax rate unless you're willing to enact a bunch of laws to regulate home growers and hire zillions of gov't thugs to enforce them.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Age Limits?

So, for you folks advocating legalization, would you advocate no age limits, same age limits as tobacco or same age limits as booze? Should the age limits be state or fed?

Tobacco age limits are age requirements for purchasing tobacco. Is that how it should work for grass? Home grown stuff could be smoked by folks of any age since they don't have to buy it? But to buy it across the counter, you'd have to be 18.

Again, I'm for legalization. But I think there is going to be a whole lot less control, regarding either taxation or usage, than there is for booze. I think taxation will be there but harder to enforce than for tobacco. I think usage control will be similar to tobacco. You'll get carded if you go to buy marijuana cigs retail but no one will be checking on usage.

EDIT: Also makes me wonder about smoking laws. I can sit at my table in a fine restaurant and get tanked on $50/bottle wine. But pull out a reefer (the marijuana for which I grew myself at home) and light up and I'm asked to step outdoors to puff?

Lotsa interesting questions, huh?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #35
Administrator

I vote yea to decriminalize the use and license the production. Additional tax revenues may help more or less but probably will be just enough to pay the cost of the new federal department needed to oversee. Man, would that be a popular place to work...

Even if the revenue doesn't meet expectations, once marijuana is generally available and frequently used, I bet lots of folks won't care so much.

To all those good folks that think further testing is called for, I volunteer.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I vote yea to decriminalize the use and license the production. Additional tax revenues may help more or less but probably will be just enough to pay the cost of the new federal department needed to oversee.
You can't tax it if it's decriminalized, just if it's legalized.

What tax are you going to be able to levee if you still aren't allowed to buy it?
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Lets not forget the huge demand for instant gratification in our society. Hmmm, I can either drop $10 on a pack of wacky tabacky cigs including $5 of tax, or I can get some seeds, sow them, wait for them to grow, harvest, dry them and then smoke up in, oh, 6 months. Which option do you think 99% of the population would choose if they wanted to toke up?

As for smoking laws, smoke is smoke. If you want to get high at a restaurant, order the pot brownie a la mode for dessert.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Lets not forget the huge demand for instant gratification in our society. Hmmm, I can either drop $10 on a pack of wacky tabacky cigs including $5 of tax, or I can get some seeds, sow them, wait for them to grow, harvest, dry them and then smoke up in, oh, 6 months. Which option do you think 99% of the population would choose if they wanted to toke up?

As for smoking laws, smoke is smoke. If you want to get high at a restaurant, order the pot brownie a la mode for dessert.
Create and satisfy the munchies at the same time.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A year's supply of grass for a casual user....... no problem indoors or out.
Go read one of Ed Rosenthal's books and tell me that again with a straight face.

P.S., legality aside, home growers can't grow in dense urban environments without seriously bothering their neighbors - the stuff smells - try to imagine just 1 little plant yielding 3 pounds of the stuff.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
P.S., legality aside, home growers can't grow in dense urban environments without seriously bothering their neighbors - the stuff smells - try to imagine just 1 little plant yielding 3 pounds of the stuff.
I had a friend in the 70s who had a foil lined closet with grow lights and a half dozen sensimilla plants and I don't remember any problem with smell. Or maybe that's the answer - I don't remember Today, police would be spending our taxpayer dollars to track him down with infrared sensors and sophisticated analysis of power usage. What a waste of effort.