Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 112 74.17%
No 26 17.22%
Other/Not Sure 13 8.61%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just to clarify my remark above, there would be one significant difference to how we should treat MJ compared to alcohol -- an absolute 100% ban on its usage in ALL public venues. It would only be allowed in private locations which are not "open to the public."
What, no contact high? Too bad.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Current poll results have 73% in favor of legalization. That's dramatically different from the US population opinion. What's going on with an "Early Retirement" forum that makes us so different?
I agree with the posters who attribute this to the generally brighter nature of folks here. I also think a lot of the people here who sound the most conservative lean libertarian.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #63

Thanks for the replies on "what's different about this group?"

I was vaguely thinking along the same lines - people here are typically self-directed investors, LBYM'ers, uncomfortable with the structures of many j*bs. All those things reflect an independent (maybe even thoughtful) mindset.

In addition, donheff's comment on "conservatives" vs. "libertarians" hadn't occurred to me, but I think he is on to something when I think about the posts I've read here.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Thanks for the replies on "what's different about this group?"

I was vaguely thinking along the same lines - people here are typically self-directed investors, LBYM'ers, uncomfortable with the structures of many j*bs. All those things reflect an independent (maybe even thoughtful) mindset.

In addition, donheff's comment on "conservatives" vs. "libertarians" hadn't occurred to me, but I think he is on to something when I think about the posts I've read here.
Probably are a lot more ERs "lighting up to relax" than would admit it too.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Current poll results have 73% in favor of legalization. That's dramatically different from the US population opinion. What's going on with an "Early Retirement" forum that makes us so different?
Have you noticed in the "chicken" thread how strange our eating habits are? People who eat their meat raw are surely not going to balk at a little grass burning. Maybe that is how we got into raw meat eating in the first place, just couldn't wait until the damn stuff cooked.

This board clearly draws from one strange sample space.

Ha
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Probably are a lot more ERs "lighting up to relax" than would probably admit it too.
Except that those with crappy j*bs they want to leave may need the relaxation more. Then again, FIREd folks don't have to worry about peeing into a cup and losing their jobs by testing positive...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Have you noticed in the "chicken" thread how strange our eating habits are? People who eat their meat raw are surely not going to balk at a little grass burning. Maybe that is how we got into raw meat eating in the first place, just couldn't wait until the damn stuff cooked.

This board clearly draws from one strange sample space.

Ha
Hadn't thought of it that way before.

This is a self-selected sample.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
You would have a divided market after legalization. The growers would keep growing, albeit without so much looking over their shoulder, depending on the details of the laws, and their good customers would happily continue to buy, although I expect the price would adjust downward somewhat as the risk reduces, so would the perceived value. Meanwhile there would be a group that would appreciate the convenience of being able to buy legal taxed tobacco style packaged dope in the easy carry 20 pack and be more than willing the pay a reasonable tax. The danger would be the BigCig companies seeing the writing on the wall and spending the billions to get in big time, lobbying big time to get the monopoly as quick as possible to have a future after people finally realize what a literal dead end tobacco really is. Weed is after all a weed. It is not expensive to produce exceptionally high quality dope, there is room for all kinds of tax in it that really could make a difference in this country. Currently all that money is being spent, but in the underground non-taxible economy. It gets turned over, but not in the most tax-effiecient way for the Feds.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've never touched the stuff in my life -- not even a single puff -- not even in high school and college, and I have no desire to do so. The closest I've ever come to "using" was getting a few whiffs of the smoke at concerts in my younger days.
....thus the name Ziggy instead of Zig-Zag.....
Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
....thus the name Ziggy instead of Zig-Zag.....

I'm guessing Ziggy doesn't have many works by Cheech and Chong in his collection.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
The danger would be the BigCig companies seeing the writing on the wall and spending the billions to get in big time
Why a danger? That is precisely what the hope would be. If not cigarette companies, the current bad guys could go legit - not much difference. This is America - somebody needs to make a profit. We could tax it either way.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Why a danger? That is precisely what the hope would be. If not cigarette companies, the current bad guys could go legit - not much difference. This is America - somebody needs to make a profit. We could tax it either way.
I agree with your take 100%. Those BigCig guys are already situated and ready to market the hell out of pot. Seems like an ideal marketing situation for them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

According to Gallup, legalizing is more popular with people who are: young, male, college educated, "liberal", non-religious, democrats, and westerners. I don't think that we have an unusual number of any of those groups on this forum. (Maybe more college grads, but an older average age.)

Any theories?

Who Supports Marijuana Legalization?
I think it would be more helpful to look at recent polls - Support for Marijuana Legalization is Growing in America | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet), Zogby Poll: Nearly Half Of Americans Believe Pot Should Be Regulated Like Alcohol -- Majorities In The East And West Coasts Back Legalization - NORML. I've noticed that as the topic is discussed more in the MSM, the numbers favoring legalization or decrim are growing. I personally think many people respond to "scientific" polls with what they tink they are supposd to say, as opposed to what they really think. If they do. I know these numbers are still lower than our poll, but I guess we're just ahead of the curve.

Seriously, as far as this forum goes, I think we're a group of more personal rights types, else we would all be planning on working until we die for patriotic reasons. Thus we vote "don't tread on me", and "why shouldn't the tokers be taxed just like everyone else".
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think it would be more helpful to look at recent polls - Support for Marijuana Legalization is Growing in America | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet), Zogby Poll: Nearly Half Of Americans Believe Pot Should Be Regulated Like Alcohol -- Majorities In The East And West Coasts Back Legalization - NORML. I've noticed that as the topic is discussed more in the MSM, the numbers favoring legalization or decrim are growing. I personally think many people respond to "scientific" polls with what they tink they are supposd to say, as opposed to what they really think. If they do. I know these numbers are still lower than our poll, but I guess we're just ahead of the curve.

Seriously, as far as this forum goes, I think we're a group of more personal rights types, else we would all be planning on working until we die for patriotic reasons. Thus we vote "don't tread on me", and "why shouldn't the tokers be taxed just like everyone else".
I wanted a source that provided some demographic breakdowns. I couldn't find the Zogby poll at all. (Do you have a link for it?) I found a press release for the CBS poll but in had just a sentence or two on age. I was more concerned about the differences between groups than the absolute numbers.

Regarding absolute numbers, I think the exact wording of the question matters. "Should we legalize marijuana and regulate and tax it just like alcohol?" will get more "yes" answers than "Should we legalize marijuana?". I like to believe that the first is closer to the real policy decision.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I see us ERers as a group just like America, only better.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been legal here in MI for medical use since spring. Prop 1 (MJ) passed with 63% of the vote higher than that for Obama. Only adverse affect I've seen so far is police raids on legal folks, then later have to eat crow because they did not check to see if the folks were legal or the police just not knowing the law. No excuse.... I know. But the police around here are slow learners going by the rate people sue them. I did read where one fellow was kicked out of a hud subsidized house because of his legal MJ use in MI, and that is now in court, so he may be able to live there yet. Back in April I seen a notice in the local rag for a compassion club meeting. For the heck of it I went. Much to my surprise the place was full of old timers, most of who were crippled or disabled. I expected a bunch of youngins looking to get high, but did not see any of that. It really swayed my opinion seeing that crowd, it would hard to say no now, they really did not seem like a threat to me or mine.......shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Much to my surprise the place was full of old timers, most of who were crippled or disabled.
Seems like an interesting Medicare issue to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The country has been going downhill ever since that dang trouble maker George Washington mobilized the militia and put down the whiskey rebellion. They moved to Kentucky and started NASCAR.

We needed hemp for cloth, rope, and sails back then. Till cotton replaced homespun.

heh heh heh - Old George's plantation was making 1/4 of the colony's rye whiskey back then - was that a noble gesture or a way of limiting competition? Speaking tin foil hat wise. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Ingesting Marijuana Versus Smoking Marijuana - Associated Content
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
"Obama has already called the drug war an "utter failure."

How often have we heard someone say this? And yet I don't remember anyone saying why it is an "utter failure"

I have said on numerous occasions that Obama is "an utter failure" too.

LOL