Poll: legalizing marijuana

Should possession and use of Marijuana be legal for adults?

• Yes, it should be legal

Votes: 229 68.0%
  • Sort of, only for medicinal use as prescribed by a physician

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • No, but the penalty for possession of small amounts should be minor and not involve jail time

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • No, throw the book at 'em.

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Yes, but only for small amounts.

Votes: 32 9.5%

• Total voters
... Here in AZ, a proposition to allow the use of marijuana for medical purposes (we are behind CA by a few years) also failed, but with a very narrow margin...

Just found out that I was wrong. Proposition 203 allowing medical use of MJ in AZ passed with a margin of 4300 votes out of 1.67 million. Because of this narrow margin, election officials were not sure until several days after the election, and I did not care enough to follow it. AZ is now the 15th state to allow medical use.

Will see what happens.

All I know is if they legalize it I am buying stock in Blue Bell Ice Cream and any company who makes Brownie Mix...

: )

Front hugging is also a gateway drug. Stop it now before you too succumb to more risque activities (including but not limited to pre-marital sex and smoking grass and, eventually, angel dust)!

YouTube - Christian Side Hug

I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Somebody, please - give me a sign!

yA0Us.jpg

every time CNBC plays that piece with Trish Reagan my wife and I always debate the issue. Given how fast my osteoarthritis is progressing, forget racing - training is now almost impossible, I'm tempted to take a trip to Colorado and give it a try.....just as long as there is an effective, non-smoking, delivery mechanism. and DW comes to believe that it wouldn't be a sin... :(

Well...time to fess up. I use the stuff, primarily for medical reasons. I've suffered from migraines for 35+ years, and have tried every drug in the book - both preventative, and for pain relief. I've seen many doctors, including a neurologist whose life work is migraine. Nothing worked. Best I could do, was dose up on Vicodin, suffer from the nausea it induced, and go to bed for 12+ hours. Even then, it didn't eliminate the pain - just masked it enough to keep me from feeling like jumping off a bridge. And, the Vicodin hangover kept me in a semi-daze for 24 hours after the pain was finally gone.

I'd heard anecdotal evidence of pot's pain relief, but truthfully - I never thought in a million years, it would benefit migraine. Rather, I assumed the opposite...being quite familiar with the drug and how it affected me, I was sure it would make it worse.

One day while suffering from an 9/10 monster and being out of Vicodin, I picked up the phone and called an old friend from high school that I knew still used regularly. He came over, and I gave it a try. The result simply blew me away...the pain was 90% gone within 2 minutes, and completely gone shortly thereafter. The only down side I encountered, if one wants to view it as such - the relief only lasts a couple hours, after which more was required. Still - I can function when high. Obviously, I don't leave the house - but I'm not confined to bed, nor suffering from Vicodin induced dry heaves for hours on end.

Now...the above being said, I'm not one of those "medical only" proponents. I'd be lying if I said I didn't also use it recreationally, although nothing like I did in my youth. Perhaps once a month, at most. I'm not going to apologize for my personal choice of occasional relaxation, and the fact that it's now downgraded to a simple infraction in CA and I keep a tiny amount on hand, allows me to speak about it more openly without concern of legal retribution.

Anyway, at the risk of being labeled the resident stoner, here's something I know a bit about:

.....just as long as there is an effective, non-smoking, delivery mechanism.

There is. Edibles are mentioned frequently, but they are complete PITA in my opinion. Effects are slow, often more intense, it's expensive, requires tons of prep if doing yourself, and is tough to dose accurately.

I use a small vaporizer - no smoke, no stink, no coughing/gagging, near instant results, and no cleanup. It's extremely discreet. And, regardless of how one feels about the issue itself...using a vaporizer addresses something that's quite relevant to this place. It's by far and away, the most economical means of delivery. It uses 50-75% less material than any other method. This alone, makes the vaporizer pay for itself in very short order - good pot is not cheap, even in CA where it is abundant.

There is. Edibles are mentioned frequently, but they are complete PITA in my opinion. Effects are slow, often more intense, it's expensive, requires tons of prep if doing yourself, and is tough to dose accurately.

I use a small vaporizer - no smoke, no stink, no coughing/gagging, near instant results, and no cleanup. It's extremely discreet. And, regardless of how one feels about the issue itself...using a vaporizer addresses something that's quite relevant to this place. It's by far and away, the most economical means of delivery. It uses 50-75% less material than any other method. This alone, makes the vaporizer pay for itself in very short order - good pot is not cheap, even in CA where it is abundant.

Thanks so much for the reply, I'm going to look into it. Bible thumping DW isn't very hot on the idea but that's a whole different story....:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the vapes suggestion. But get one soon. The feds are trying to outlaw them, since the concept of having fun without damaging your health is unacceptable.

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

:cool:

Hmm, indeed. I believe this is an example of "jury nullification" and it gives one hope for this police state that our country has become. This (below) video of an amazing speech by David Simon (best known for "The Wire") talks about it, if you fast forward to 53:00 or so. He urges jurors in non-violent drug trials to say "I will not be a party to this". For a longer anecdote about the drug war, back up to 48:00 or so. For a ramble about a lot that's wrong with America today, back up to 0:00.

https://vimeo.com/album/1666538/video/29805278

Last edited:
Hmm, indeed. I believe this is an example of "jury nullification" and it gives one hope for this police state that our country has become.
not quite. They couldn't even seat a jury. Sorta like threatened nullification. I was on a civil jury once that came to a mistrial. In questioning by defense lawyers after the trial I mentioned that I was so outraged at the idiot plaintiff for abusing the system that I gladly would have voted to throw her in jail and that if the case had gone to the jury i would have refused to award one thin dime if i had to sit there until hell froze over. The woman refused to walk 50 feet around to the door of her apartment. Instead she ignored orange cones and stepped over a barrier rope to ascend a busted up stairway that was being replaced. She tripped and aggravated an existing bunion. Some of the other jurors were like, "well, she did hurt herself, shouldn't we at least cover her medical expenses?" Insane. At least they may be getting it right on pot.

The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters. What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.

Just reminding folks this is an old thread.

Today was the first time I've seen this thread.

So I voted on the poll.

The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters.
Yes, and it's been my impression (perhaps mistakenly) that we're more conservative than the entire population because of a lot of retired police and military (since they can mostly retire with a full ride after 20 years service, if I understand correctly).
What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.
Yep, I think that's what bad gov't looks like, and it's tiresome. I think it's a lack pf political courage. If a Democrat proposes legalization, he can be attacked from the Right for being "soft on crime" or the like. That's why it's always been my belief that legalization will come from the Right - sort of like Nixon being the one to normalize relations with "Red" China.

The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters. What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.

Guess what many of the people on this board were smoking from the late sixties to maybe even today ??:LOL:

Well we should move this over to the travel section now... Just read today Colorado is ramping up for "Weed Tourism". You will be able to buy it and smoke it legally for recreational use. Just make sure you finish the bag before your departure, as they will not let you take it out of state.

I suspect a great many jobs depend on it being illegal. Just watch a few episodes of 'Cops' to see the wasted manpower. Most offenders never see any prison time but they still must be processed through the legal system (more jobs).

When will it be taxed?

For years I have heard that MJ tax would be a boon to the states. Will current MJ smokers in CO, WA, AZ, CA etc be prepared to fork over an additional $50/oz tax?

Will Med/MJ be taxed the same as Rec/MJ?

mickeyd said:
When will it be taxed?

For years I have heard that MJ tax would be a boon to the states. Will current MJ smokers in CO, WA, AZ, CA etc be prepared to fork over an additional $50/oz tax?

Will Med/MJ be taxed the same as Rec/MJ?

If I wanted to go back to consuming a whole package of Oreos in one sitting thanks to smoking weed, I would prefer to pay the tax and be legal. But my guess is what income that is gained by the tax will be lost in bureaucracy additions and quality control supervisors.

Back
Top Bottom