Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As Will Rogers once said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."
Me too. But near as I can tell looking at both parties - they have one thing in common.

They're politicians.

heh heh heh - this is where someone can post their favorite Mark Twain quote.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
The movie, Stuart Saves His Family, is pretty amusing. Rent it if you get the chance.

I can't listen to him without expecting a joke.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Remember, the foundation for the financial "rescue" was laid by the previous administration. Someone must work the mop.
Yes, but I'm not talking TARP. I'm talking about the stimulus monstrosity, that was the sole responsibility of the Dems (and 3 Repubs), was the first broken promise concerning legislation (the one about posting bills online at least 24 hours before voting), and hasn't really done anything.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Remember, the foundation for the financial "rescue" was laid by the previous administration. Someone must work the mop.
UH..ok...........

Quote:
Cap and trade ... don't know what is/was going on there.
Easy, it will put American business growth back 50 years, other than that, a great idea........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

And his book, "I'm Good Enough" (etc.), on which the movie "Stuart Saves His Family," is based, is a novel in diary/daily affirmation form--one of my favorites and a sadly sweet story.

Not to mention he played baggage handler #1 in "Trading Spaces," which singlehandedly probably brought in five or six votes.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
UH..ok...........
Easy, it will put American business growth back 50 years, other than that, a great idea........
And raise consumers' electric bills 15-20%
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

What do you get when you cross Al Franken and Ben Stein?

Franken-Stein!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

These guys got elected, is Franken any more surprising (blame the electorate)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fred+grandy.jpg (27.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg jesse-ventura1.jpg (23.1 KB, 145 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpac I think you nailed that one on the head. The present mess we are in is the sole responsibility of the voters. The average voter in the US has never even given a cursory glance at the Constitution or our historical heritage of Liberty.

The sole political question today is " How do I and mine use the federal government to take from some body else and then give it to me." except for the Republican Liberty caucus ( and they are a very small group) nobody in the country seems to be asking any of the fundamental questions about how much power the Federal government should have over our lives.

With the present electorate, having a clown as a Senator is a very small problem. The real problem is the number of true Narcissistic and Sociopathic personalities that have been in Washington for many terms. And will do anything in the world to get reelected regardless of the cost to our country or future generations.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

Hang on and hope!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

To me, the fundamental question is what are our values and what do we want our government to do to promote and preserve those values.

But whatever. Maybe the clown cares.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Right on Martha. I don't really think a person’s previous job necessarily dictates his or her common sense and what they are capable of doing. There are brilliant and hard working people in many professions, including show business.

Many very unqualified politicians arrive at the Senator's seat, by starting as a Mayor or other local office of a small town, and work their way up until they reach their level of incompetence
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Personally, any time a high level politician doesn't have a law background, I find it refreshing. Not that there's anything wrong with lawyers in government, but I do think they are severely overrepresented, contrary to the original ideals of "citizen government."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #33
gone traveling

Further proof of why the MN state bird is the Loon.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
There are brilliant and hard working people in many professions, including show business.
Had lunch with some grad school buddies yesterday. They both lean significantly to the left of my mid-steam political outlook. I chuckled to myself when they both heartily supported show biz types as politicians now that Franken is in office. Previously, they had condemned show biz types holding office since the two recent examples from California did not share their political persuasion! Well...... at least they're flexible!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Youbet, you bet inconsistencies abound. I have heard the same. I never cared that Jesse Ventura was in show business, but I did care when he had goofy ideas or had a hard time getting along with either party and the press. I am sure I have my own inconsistencies as well.

More inconsistencies: people in congress saying government should butt out of health care decisions but the same people wanted to butt into medical decisions regarding Terri Shiavo. (I probably spelled her name wrong, too lazy to look up).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Which just shows, of course, that pols on both sides of the aisle have their own best interests (of staying employed and playing to whoever will vote them back in again and again and again) in mind in most everything they do. Citizens support this folly by supporting political parties like their favorite sports team.

That's why ER is so relavent today..... The end is near. Enjoy life now.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
To me, the fundamental question is what are our values and what do we want our government to do to promote and preserve those values.

But whatever. Maybe the clown cares.
In a democracy, I guess that we end up coming to a consensus as to what values we wish to support (in theory at least).

The following is not directed towards you Martha, it is just a general observation:

It also seems to me, that if we say these "values" are what we collectively want to support, then we ought to collectively be willing to pay for them. It seems disingenuous to me to say we value them, but a future generation should pay for them. IMO, that shows a lack of values.

I'm in favor of progressive taxes (within reason), so I don't have a problem saying that the wealthier can/should support a larger burden. But I do think the vast majority should have some "skin in the game". But pushing the payment onto people who have not reached voting age (or may not even be born yet) is just wrong, IMO.

No taxation w/o representation?

Does the clown care? Maybe. Perhaps the clown figured out he can get votes from people who are OK with handing someone else the bill? I don't know.

-ERD50
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
More inconsistencies: people in congress saying government should butt out of health care decisions but the same people wanted to butt into medical decisions regarding Terri Shiavo. (I probably spelled her name wrong, too lazy to look up).
And I'd bet that true Libertarians would butt out of both of those. They may not be popular, but at least they are consistent

-ERD50
Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Does the clown care? Maybe. Perhaps the clown figured out he can get votes from people who are OK with handing someone else the bill? I don't know. -ERD50
ERD50, which Clown are you referring to? There are so many to choose from...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It also seems to me, that if we say these "values" are what we collectively want to support, then we ought to collectively be willing to pay for them. It seems disingenuous to me to say we value them, but a future generation should pay for them. IMO, that shows a lack of values.
Now there's something I can agree with!

With no particular reference to Franken (sorry, I know the thread is about Franken), I just can't get comfortable with living high on the backs of my kids and grandkids. For example, if we want a new healthcare system and it's going to cost more, fine. But let's stop the lies and plan to pay for it NOW, REAL TIME, with current taxes on the current beneficiaries. No more SS or Medicare schemes that simply transfer wealth from future generations to current consumers.

I know it takes courage to tell voters that a govt benefit has to be paid for and that they will be involved in paying for it. But isn't that what we elected this political majority for.......? To have courage and make changes?