Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So what else is new.
Thus the quote "Making a mountain out of a molehill" ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also think there's a distinction to be made about the so-called "99%". My understanding (could be wrong) is that it's not simply the "least wealthy" 99% of the population, but the 99% who are not politically connected because of wealth. Not all of the wealthy are part of what they perceive as the plutocracy -- and I think the "1%" for these purposes references the entities which are part of the plutocracy.

Plus, "we are the 99%" is a simpler catch-phrase than, for example, "we are the 99.62%" (or whatever).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
... the 99% who are not politically connected because of wealth. ...
Or, "the 99% who are not wealthy because they are not politically connected"

There is some substance to some of the complaints, but in my opinion, they ought to be spending at least as much time protesting Capitol Hill.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

Or, "the 99% who are not wealthy because they are not politically connected"

There is some substance to some of the complaints, but in my opinion, they ought to be spending at least as much time protesting Capitol Hill.

-ERD50
I think that's one of the things that makes this protest at least a little different (note that I didn't say correct). They realize that protesting the politicians isn't effective, that the corporations are often running things.

"Separation of corporation and state" is one of their cute catchphrases I believe.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
I think that's one of the things that makes this protest at least a little different (note that I didn't say correct). They realize that protesting the politicians isn't effective, that the corporations are often running things.

"Separation of corporation and state" is one of their cute catchphrases I believe.
Could be, but it still seems mostly misplaced to me.

Corporations cannot affect laws/regulations unless a politician agrees to it, so it should still be the politicians that they should be directing most of that angst at.

If the cops are accepting bribes, should we complain about crooked cops, or bribe offer-ers? Sure, some blame rests on each of them, but it seems to me the bribe takers are the ones with the responsibility to serve the public, and the ones that should be held to a higher standard.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To add some statistics regarding income, take a look at the above link.
Also from the Wikipedia, specifically on income inequality, on who is the most unequal (you'd never guess):
Quote:
A study done by University of Texas economists James K. Galbraith and Travis Hale found that most of the gains enjoyed by the top 1% came from a small number of counties, rather than a national trend. Almost all of the richest 1%'s gains occurred in the economic hotbeds of Silicon Valley and New York City. If the top four counties in those regions are removed, there is almost no trend[quantify] towards income inequality in the US in recent decades. On this basis, the researchers ascribe the recent growth in income inequality to the growth of information technology.[17]
Income inequality in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I hope that when election time comes around, the competiting candidates discuss their concept of "wealth" in some dollars and cents detail that omits the vargaries, emotionalism and subjectivity that's going around today.
I don't think that is how modern campaigns are conducted, much less won. I expect this year's show to be considerably worse than even the hideous earlier ones.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Could be, but it still seems mostly misplaced to me.

Corporations cannot affect laws/regulations unless a politician agrees to it, so it should still be the politicians that they should be directing most of that angst at.

If the cops are accepting bribes, should we complain about crooked cops, or bribe offer-ers? Sure, some blame rests on each of them, but it seems to me the bribe takers are the ones with the responsibility to serve the public, and the ones that should be held to a higher standard.

-ERD50
If there is money available to fund corruption, corruption will rise to absorb that money. Humans taken as a group seem to be almost infinitely corruptable. It's like if candy is available, children will eat it. Best to dry up the source of candy if you want children to eat less of it.

Ha
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #29

From the article: "Most of those in the bottom half of the top 1% lack power and global flexibility and are essentially well-compensated workhorses for the top 0.5%, just like the bottom 99%. "

Just call me Trigger.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #30

The Wall Street Journal has a calculator based on family income to detrmine where you rank.

What Percent Are You? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Do you measure up ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So it only takes $1.2MM of investable assets to make it into the top 1% and only $1.8MM for the top 0.5% ?

As mentioned in the article that sure won't sustain a "wealthy" lifestyle very long.

I wonder about those figures.
I thought those figures thrown out were way too low.

This reference, that quotes 2004 US household net worth shows that (in 2004) to be in the top 1% that you needed $6MM

http://www.mynetworthblog.com/net-wo...-rich-o-meter/
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #32

I've always felt that "household income" is a pretty inexact measure of affluence.

A household income of $200k for a family of four with two income earners is a lot different than a single person making $200k per year, but all of the discussions lump them together.

The family generally has a much lower tax rate than the single person (and higher living expenses).

Note also that they are talking about adjusted gross income, for the most part, so your participation in 401k plans can make a big difference in your ranking.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal has a calculator based on family income to detrmine where you rank.

What Percent Are You? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Do you measure up ?
I'm pretty rank...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #34

With the income requirement I guess I'm closer to the original definition of a 1%er -Outlaw Biker- Than the top affluent category.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #35

I am not sure why people are panning "the 1%."
Isn't it the American Dream to make it there?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought those figures thrown out were way too low.

This reference, that quotes 2004 US household net worth shows that (in 2004) to be in the top 1% that you needed $6MM

http://www.mynetworthblog.com/net-wo...-rich-o-meter/
I was suspicious about these numbers too. I went to the Wealth Calculator that you listed, and ended up in the 84%, which seemed low according to the numbers that have been thrown around. They have a link to another calculator based on wealth instead of income - The Wealth Report - WSJ. I entered my number and came out at 97%, which while nice was certainly not in the 99+% range which is where some of the other comments would have me. These percentiles seem more likely to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I am not sure why people are panning "the 1%."
Isn't it the American Dream to make it there?
I suspect some of the folks not yet in the 1% are getting annoyed with the cleat marks on their shoulders.

Not to worry, though. Someday, everyone will be in the 1%, except for the slackers and the unmotivated. It'll be our Lake Woebegone moment.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I suspect some of the folks not yet in the 1% are getting annoyed with the cleat marks on their shoulders.

Not to worry, though. Someday, everyone will be in the 1%, except for the slackers and the unmotivated. It'll be our Lake Woebegone moment.
Like this guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fat Guy 99 percent.jpg (131.0 KB, 16 views)
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Like this guy
Hopefully that is not you without the hat
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Like this guy
This is why I want to ER!