Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister View Post
Everyone can go round and round on this but in essance it all comes down to everyone's desire to do what they believe is in their own best interest.

I have the solution, DO BOTH.

Those that want something like the current healthcare system get to keep it and those that want nationalized/socialized/whatever heathcare go for it. Just dont expect the folks outside of your system of choice to subsidize it, after all it is YOUR CHOICE. Give both some time and we shall see which remains viable, affordable, and provides the optimum service. That will be the one that remains.
***And the crowd applauds loudly **** VERY well said Lister.... And that is exactly right.... set up whatever system you like for your self. But fund it yourself... and do not take of my money to do it.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lister--That would be good, except when the government controls things it has a tendency to not let it fail. So if the socialized/govt'/whatever you want to call it starts to fail they will change the rules and require those not participating to subsidize it.

To borrow a saying from the abortion rights people, "Government get out of my womb!"

Martha--You are correct all the insurance companies can do is deny payment, but they haven't done that on any of my claims either.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everyone can go round and round on this but in essance it all comes down to everyone's desire to do what they believe is in their own best interest.

Those that want something like the current healthcare system get to keep it and those that want nationalized/socialized/whatever heathcare go for it. Just dont expect the folks outside of your system of choice to subsidize it, after all it is YOUR CHOICE. Give both some time and we shall see which remains viable, affordable, and provides the optimum service. That will be the one that remains.
So then we create two health care bureaucracies as overhead and make it more costly for both groups? Well, I guess that creates jobs, if you're in health care administration...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #64

Lister, this may work for a time. However, over time, the better doctors will gravitate to the private sector and stop taking patients from the Socialized sector. i.e. threads about doctors currently not taking new Medicare patients. Before long we have a system where those with money get good health care and those without get poor health care. Kind of like we have now?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Two-tiered medicine like it was in its waning phase when I trained: 16-bed wards, several acutely withdrawing alcoholics, no privacy, weeping families with dying loved ones just a few feet away without privacy; intern-run care, loss of all dignity. No thanks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Two-tiered medicine like it was in its waning phase when I trained: 16-bed wards, several acutely withdrawing alcoholics, no privacy, weeping families with dying loved ones just a few feet away without privacy; intern-run care, loss of all dignity. No thanks.
Well, I agree in the extreme, but multi-tiered levels of care are inevitable if the government foots the bill AND "boutique" medicine paid for out of pocket isn't banned.

I think the best we can do is hold the "public tier" to at least some minimum reasonable standard. Unless you ban fee-for-service medicine for people opting out of the public health care system, it's inevitable to some degree that a few of the best doctors and facilities will opt out. One of the scarier aspects of some proposals to me is the thought of making it illegal to go outside the system and pay for your own care. IMO, this is the "land of the free" and such a ban goes against that founding principle.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
So then we create two health care bureaucracies as overhead and make it more costly for both groups? Well, I guess that creates jobs, if you're in health care administration...
Yep, and presumably the two coexisting systems would eventually stratify on adverse selection, since those who could pass underwriting would gravitate toward the private system.

When I lived in NY state, they had only guaranteed-issue, community rated individual policies for those who didn't get insurance from their employers, or were on Medicare or Medicaid. People would buy the cheaper high deductible policies if they were healthy, then switch to low-deductible HMO's if they became chronically ill. I believe this would probably happen in Lister's system, as well.

IMO, we need to have everyone in the same risk pool for any type of "universal" system to work.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #68

I thought that was the intent (to ban any other method) of the last attempt at this a few years ago? Seems many of the same people are behind this one too.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
IMO, we need to have everyone in the same risk pool for any type of "universal" system to work.
Unless someone has invented a magic bullet I'm not aware of, I think the only way to make coverage for people with preexisting conditions affordable is to make coverage mandatory *and* to put all the people into the same risk pool. We can debate whether or not that's a good thing, but I don't see much alternative to this IF we're going to cover everyone. Insurers have repeatedly said that they are ready to cover everyone under group rates with no exclusions if everyone, including the young and healthy, were required to be in the pool and having coverage was a mandate like having auto insurance is a mandate for anyone who drives.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Free market solutions to problems are almsot always better. Why? Because an individual business is far more agile and nimble that the lumbering slow federal govt. I hear this complaint all the time. What about people that are born into a higher risk pool, and no one wants to insure them? Usually the claim is that govt healthcare would be better.... because it would guarantee their coverage will not be dropped.

How about this for a free market solution? Let's say you have a son/daughter that has a much higher risk for a certain type of cancer. Your family history says so. You natuarally fear for your child in the future and work out this deal with an insurance company. You pay that insurance company every year since your child in born, and once your child turns 21 they will not cancel their coverage, or raise their rates for 20 years. So basically the insurance company gets your money free and clear for 21 years, but in return, you never have to worry about cancelled coverage, or rased rates again. Or at least not for a good long time. Is this solution perfect... certainly not! But it demostrates what a free market solution can do. It also shows how this sort of arangement is voluntary, vs, govt forced. Like I have said many times before I really do not like the idea of govt coercion at all. And I think most problems can be solved privately in a volutary manner...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think the best we can do is hold the "public tier" to at least some minimum reasonable standard.
That's right. We need to provide a safe, sufficient and reasonably dignified chassis for everyone. If you want buy up to a private room, broader elective care coverage, etc, fine, but the default coverage has to be substantial and comparable across the board, IMHO.

That can be accomplished in a private practice model to a great extent. Probably have to be supplemented with some kind of community health center program for the underprivileged, etc. so that you avoid the shortage of primary care offices in neighborhoods considered less desirable or less financially viable by some.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

You already have socialized medicine, the minute you enter into an HMO plan. They are the gate keepers to keep costs down. They know exactly at what point to bury you when you get too "costly" As for regular insurance, they too are a form of socialized medicine. Do you think private insurers want to pay through the nose for your sickness, hell no. So what is the difference whether the government is the gate keeper or the insurer, same employees just collecting a pay check of a different color.

Probably our biggest problem is lawyers, thus causing providers to order more expensive tests instead of practicing practical medicine. How many useless expensive tests are ordered to cover one's ass? Sometimes you have to wonder if that test is medicine or fear of lawsuit. This is the real sticking point.

Also, one can complain as much as they want about socialized medicine, usually found in "liberal" European countries. But take a good look at thier lifespans, a bit higher than ours. Guess the proof is in the pudding, or we are just a bit more rambunctuous in our lifestyle than the laid back French.

jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Lister--That would be good, except when the government controls things it has a tendency to not let it fail. So if the socialized/govt'/whatever you want to call it starts to fail they will change the rules and require those not participating to subsidize it.

To borrow a saying from the abortion rights people, "Government get out of my womb!"

Martha--You are correct all the insurance companies can do is deny payment, but they haven't done that on any of my claims either.
Agree that it would be very difficult if not impossible to keep the government system in check with no free market pressure. But "if" we could (and thats a big "if") then at least it would be our own choice.
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Also, one can complain as much as they want about socialized medicine, usually found in "liberal" European countries. But take a good look at thier lifespans, a bit higher than ours. Guess the proof is in the pudding, or we are just a bit more rambunctuous in our lifestyle than the laid back French.
Let's be careful with using political labels such as "liberal." This is a good, relevant thread and I'd hate to see it turn into a partisan snipe-fest.

Anyway, it's important to realize that correlation does not equal causation. And just because we can say:

* Europe has "socialized medicine";
* Many European countries have higher life expectancies

doesn't mean we can conclude, "therefore socialized medicine leads to higher life expectancy." There can very well be other social and cultural factors at work here.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Who said anything about creating 2 bureaucracies? Today we have free market heath care. Yes this has the insurance companies creating some overhead but like all free market things, over time the company that provides the best service for the $ will prevail. As for more goverment overhead being created for that new system, well that's the problem for those folks to worry about because they will have to fund it. no free rides here...
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Lister, this may work for a time. However, over time, the better doctors will gravitate to the private sector and stop taking patients from the Socialized sector. i.e. threads about doctors currently not taking new Medicare patients. Before long we have a system where those with money get good health care and those without get poor health care. Kind of like we have now?
Yep that's what I was implying, the better system will win out over time. Whichever system fails first will put the arguement to rest hopefully forever.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
So what is the difference whether the government is the gate keeper or the insurer...
It's the same difference as the government controlling all aspects of production over the private industry controlling those aspects. Name three things the government does outstandingly well. I can name protecting the citizens and that is about it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #78

Lister, So it would appear that you are for no change? Because is the status quo, those that can afford the best get the best.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #79

Interesting you chose 'protecting the citizens'. If we were to add up all the money government spends on this, and we spent the same on health care, we might not be having this discussion.

You would have to start with The Dept. of Defense, FBI, Drug Enforcement, Marshal Service, Secret Service, NSA, Customs, and some more at the federal level I am sure I forgot about. A group of us tried to name all the agencies that carry a gun. We have not even touched the list. State, City, County? Try this sometime. It is a very large list.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Those that want something like the current healthcare system get to keep it and those that want nationalized/socialized/whatever heathcare go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
***And the crowd applauds loudly **** VERY well said Lister.... And that is exactly right.... set up whatever system you like for your self. But fund it yourself... and do not take of my money to do it.
armor99 - sounds good, but I have to agree with FIRE'd@51 and ziggy29 on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
People would buy the cheaper high deductible policies if they were healthy, then switch to low-deductible HMO's if they became chronically ill. I believe this would probably happen in Lister's system, as well.

Quote:
... I think the only way to make coverage for people with preexisting conditions affordable is to make coverage mandatory *and* to put all the people into the same risk pool. ... Insurers have repeatedly said that they are ready to cover everyone under group rates with no exclusions if everyone, including the young and healthy, were required to be in the pool and having coverage was a mandate ...
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote