Subsidies - What Do You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huston55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There are many threads, or portions of them, here which discuss (support or deride) subsidies, often with accompanying arguments for one side or the other, and also frequently with very informative links where many of us learn something new. I’d like to see if we can have a thread discussing “Subsidies” that we see/experience without getting into politics or vitriol....or Porky. I think it would be informative and (at least for me) educational.

Let’s start with a definition: A subsidy is a form of financial aid or support extended to an economic sector (or institution, business, or individual) generally with the aim of promoting economic and social policy. (Wikipedia)

How we view ‘subsidies’ of one kind or another seems to usually depend on whether we’re on the paying or receiving end or, although less frequently, whether we think the subsidy is fair and/or provides more good than harm. After all, we’re not all completely selfish. ;-)

So, what subsidies are significant in your view, and what do you think we should do about them? When describing particular subsidy(s), please try to include the following information so we can understand your position, learn something and, maybe even be swayed toward your line of thinking: (1) Description, (2) Whether you agree/or not with the subsidy & why, (3) What you would do instead (modify, eliminate, etc.) and, (4) References and/or links to more in depth material.

I’ll start with a few on my list:

* We all subsidize middle class suburbia:
1. Largely through tax and insurance incentives via the FHA, FNMA & FHLMC
2. I agree with the overarching policy to incentivize home ownership because I believe it benefits communities and families, which support a stable society.
3. What I’d change: I would continue the policy of tax and insurance incentives but, would ensure that urban & suburban areas are treated equitably. I would also incorporate incentives for sustainable, environmentally friendly development into future policies.
4. https://www.theamericanconservative.com/urbs/we-have-always-subsidized-suburbia/

* Childless couples subsidize couples with children, and singles subsidize them both; largely through SS, Income tax, property tax but, also in commerce & employment.
1. The tax code is the primary vehicle which financially subsidizes/encourages marriage but, companies & employers also discriminate against singles. The income tax burden for married couples is significantly lower than for singles; married couples also receive substantial Social Security (OASDI) benefits that are not available to singles (spousal benefits, survivor benefits & divorcee benefits); One of the largest consumers of property taxes is public schools which benefit families with children but, those without children pay the same property tax.
2. I agree with the concept of encouraging & subsidizing the development and education of children because they’re essential to our future; I agree that marriage (including same sex couples) should be encouraged because I think it is beneficial to a society (call me old fashioned). But, I think there’s currently an imbalance to the detriment of single people (especially) & childless couples, which needs to be fixed
3. What I’d change: Spousal SS benefits for non-working spouses (50% of PIA) are overly generous & should be reduced; divorcee SS benefits should be limited to one ex-spouse; there should be more equity in the ‘total benefits’ packages of employees, regardless of marriage or parental status; single/married tax brackets should be adjusted to narrow the gap/benefit to married couples.
4. https://money.usnews.com/money/blog...ed-couples-need-to-know-about-social-security.
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a666b0d00d0ef29038b490f-960-662.jpg
https://www.thedailybeast.com/singled-out-are-unmarried-people-discriminated-against

* The non-religious subsidize the religious & everyone subsidizes religious organizations to which they do not belong.
1. Religious organizations enjoy tremendous financial benefit through their treatment as non-profit organizations and via the tax code.
2. I disagree with this and believe that it is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution. (Note that this is my personal opinion and, while I might currently be in the minority, I have good company from some of the most respected Supreme Court Justices in history.) Subsidies to religion in the US total >$80 Billion in lost tax revenue annually, which the rest of us have to make up.
3. What I’d change: I would revoke the tax-exempt status of all religious organizations, and force them to establish clearly separate entities to perform their charitable work, for which they would be treated the same as all other charitable organizations.
4. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-82-5-billion-a-year/?utm_term=.8281c6f50347
https://churchesandtaxes.procon.org

Looking forward to reading & learning about various views on this frequently discussed topic and, remember, “you can keep your polite hat on.”

Last edited:
Interesting topic - I don't have time for a full reply now, but to kick things off, I agree with you on revoking (gradually over time, to allow them to adjust) the tax exempt status of religious organizations. Even though I am non-religious myself, I say this because I think it would benefit those religious organizations.

I think we all agree that religion and state should be separate, and to do that, you, ummm... need to do that! As long as they have tax exempt status, the waters are muddied, and the state is involved. Cut the cord.

Thanks for the links, will check them out later.

-ERD50

I want to keep all the good subsidies I currently receive. Because I helped pay for them gosh darn it!

All those other subsidies that I don't currently get only go to lazy good-for-nothings and should be eliminated immediately. Until I qualify for those same benefits, at which point they should be immediately reinstated. Because I helped pay for them gosh darn it!

<this seems to summarize the mentality of most people>

Everyone is likely to dislike some form of income redistribitution. The question is whether we can accept the forms we might dislike in order to have those we desire.

Consider benefits for uniformed personnel and a broad safety net for the poor. As these two subsidies are strongly identified with opposite sides of the red/blue divide I suspect there are many who fully support one, but would be happy to see the other largely eradicated. The question is whether we as a society can accept that both have sufficient benefit to pay for them willingly. Or will we make it our long term project to eliminate the one we dislike and demonize those who support it.

It all comes down to the classic question "Whose ox is being gored?"
Isn't that something basic taught in law schools?

I don't see any way to respond in a neutral manner to the question here -- any example will have some on one side and some on the other.

On your reference to SS subsidization, once the numbers flow through the formula, the tax for singles starts at 25k, while for married it is at 34k (not at 50k).
I think the offshoring of income should be looked at more closely.

By definition a subsidy is aid, or a sum paid to an individual or organization. It is not a tax deduction for expenses to run a business.
As far as religious organizations, the state must keep their tax laws from interfering with them or they will be able to influence them through tax laws, violating the freedom we have to worship as we wish. There is no establishment of religion with the state forcing people to worship in a particular faith just because religious organizations don’t pay taxes.

3. What I’d change: Spousal SS benefits for non-working spouses (50% of PIA) are overly generous & should be reduced;
I don't consider that a subsidy at all. It's an earned benefit by the PIA and was part of the original payout formula. Now if they want to increase the PIA's payment by 50% and eliminate the non contributing spousal benefit, then that would be okay.

The list is too long to go thru everything in detail but here are a few: I believe that a church(religious entity) is a business and should be taxed like a business. They currently receive a massive subsidy and should not. I think the tax breaks that people receive solely because they have kids should go away. If the population was low and theywanted to encourage people having more kids then maybe it would make sense but there is no lack of population in the US. Any and all tax breaks(subsidies) to large corporations should go away. Companies that profit billions don't need a tax break. That should be obvious. Those are just a few of many examples.

I believe that a church(religious entity) is a business and should be taxed like a business. They currently receive a massive subsidy and should not.

+1

I think the tax breaks that people receive solely because they have kids should go away. If the population was low and theywanted to encourage people having more kids then maybe it would make sense but there is no lack of population in the US.

+1 or 2

Any and all tax breaks(subsidies) to large corporations should go away. Companies that profit billions don't need a tax break.

Maybe, but sometimes the business segment/area for the government subsidy is not where they are making the big money.

I believe if you want to get mad about subsidies, do some investigation into Corporate ones, and then you'll have something to really get PO'd about.

Subsidies that help people with basic needs, housing, families, food, health, support the elderly, armed forces? That's a good society in my book, and I'm not going to quibble with line items in those.

I believe if you want to get mad about subsidies, do some investigation into Corporate ones, and then you'll have something to really get PO'd about.

Subsidies that help people with basic needs, housing, families, food, health, support the elderly, armed forces? That's a good society in my book, and I'm not going to quibble with line items in those.

Agreed. Tax breaks (AKA subsidies) on corporations are crazy. Amazon profits billions and pays nothing or near nothing in taxes. Something is very wrong with that. Many of it's employees make poverty wages and still pay some federal tax. Some employees get paid so little they have to go on food stamps and other subsidies. Basically Amazon is getting subsidies to supplement their employees wages all while th company is worth hundreds of billions and makes billions in profit every year. Not ok.

I always felt like I subsidized the city we had our vacation home in.Pay full taxes, go over once a month. No kids in school, less driving on the roads, no police services.

+1

As far as religious organizations, the state must keep their tax laws from interfering with them or they will be able to influence them through tax laws, violating the freedom we have to worship as we wish. There is no establishment of religion with the state forcing people to worship in a particular faith just because religious organizations don’t pay taxes.

Then it seems reasonable to me that if religious organizations want the state to stay out of their business while at the same time receiving incredibly generous tax exemptions, then the price they must pay for that exemption should be a prohibition from involving themselves in and attempting to influence public policy.

There are many threads, or portions of them, here which discuss (support or deride) subsidies, often with accompanying arguments for one side or the other, and also frequently with very informative links where many of us learn something new. I’d like to see if we can have a thread discussing “Subsidies” that we see/experience without getting into politics or vitriol....or Porky. I think it would be informative and (at least for me) educational.

Let’s start with a definition: A subsidy is a form of financial aid or support extended to an economic sector (or institution, business, or individual) generally with the aim of promoting economic and social policy. (Wikipedia)

How we view ‘subsidies’ of one kind or another seems to usually depend on whether we’re on the paying or receiving end or, although less frequently, whether we think the subsidy is fair and/or provides more good than harm. After all, we’re not all completely selfish. ;-)

So, what subsidies are significant in your view, and what do you think we should do about them? When describing particular subsidy(s), please try to include the following information so we can understand your position, learn something and, maybe even be swayed toward your line of thinking: (1) Description, (2) Whether you agree/or not with the subsidy & why, (3) What you would do instead (modify, eliminate, etc.) and, (4) References and/or links to more in depth material.

I’ll start with a few on my list:

* We all subsidize middle class suburbia:
1. Largely through tax and insurance incentives via the FHA, FNMA & FHLMC
2. I agree with the overarching policy to incentivize home ownership because I believe it benefits communities and families, which support a stable society.
3. What I’d change: I would continue the policy of tax and insurance incentives but, would ensure that urban & suburban areas are treated equitably. I would also incorporate incentives for sustainable, environmentally friendly development into future policies.
4. https://www.theamericanconservative.com/urbs/we-have-always-subsidized-suburbia/

* Childless couples subsidize couples with children, and singles subsidize them both; largely through SS, Income tax, property tax but, also in commerce & employment.
1. The tax code is the primary vehicle which financially subsidizes/encourages marriage but, companies & employers also discriminate against singles. The income tax burden for married couples is significantly lower than for singles; married couples also receive substantial Social Security (OASDI) benefits that are not available to singles (spousal benefits, survivor benefits & divorcee benefits); One of the largest consumers of property taxes is public schools which benefit families with children but, those without children pay the same property tax.
2. I agree with the concept of encouraging & subsidizing the development and education of children because they’re essential to our future; I agree that marriage (including same sex couples) should be encouraged because I think it is beneficial to a society (call me old fashioned). But, I think there’s currently an imbalance to the detriment of single people (especially) & childless couples, which needs to be fixed
3. What I’d change: Spousal SS benefits for non-working spouses (50% of PIA) are overly generous & should be reduced; divorcee SS benefits should be limited to one ex-spouse; there should be more equity in the ‘total benefits’ packages of employees, regardless of marriage or parental status; single/married tax brackets should be adjusted to narrow the gap/benefit to married couples.
4. https://money.usnews.com/money/blog...ed-couples-need-to-know-about-social-security.
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a666b0d00d0ef29038b490f-960-662.jpg
https://www.thedailybeast.com/singled-out-are-unmarried-people-discriminated-against

* The non-religious subsidize the religious & everyone subsidizes religious organizations to which they do not belong.
1. Religious organizations enjoy tremendous financial benefit through their treatment as non-profit organizations and via the tax code.
2. I disagree with this and believe that it is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution. (Note that this is my personal opinion and, while I might currently be in the minority, I have good company from some of the most respected Supreme Court Justices in history.) Subsidies to religion in the US total >$80 Billion in lost tax revenue annually, which the rest of us have to make up.
3. What I’d change: I would revoke the tax-exempt status of all religious organizations, and force them to establish clearly separate entities to perform their charitable work, for which they would be treated the same as all other charitable organizations.
4. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-82-5-billion-a-year/?utm_term=.8281c6f50347
https://churchesandtaxes.procon.org

Looking forward to reading & learning about various views on this frequently discussed topic and, remember, “you can keep your polite hat on.”

I'd be interested in you telling me anything the government doesn't subsidize...let me know when you think of something....

Does the government subsidy Robbie's Wagyu beef?

If they do, they do not do a good job because it still costs a lot.

They don't subsidy my French imported XO Cognac either. In fact, I think they tax it too much. :)

Last edited:
They don't subsidy my French imported XO Cognac either. In fact, I think they tax it too much. :)

US Navy and coast guard = subsidies. It's cheaper to ship a bottle from France to the US because the risk of loss of the cargo due to piracy and privateers is pretty low thanks to our military patrolling the high seas and coastal waters.

On behalf of my fellow American taxpayer, cheers!

I see no reason to pit one against the other. They can/should each be evaluated on their own merits. I think safety nets are good, obviously the devil is in the details.

Agreed. Tax breaks (AKA subsidies) on corporations are crazy. Amazon profits billions and pays nothing or near nothing in taxes. ...
I googled a bit, and I will just say the the case with Amazon is complicated (*which is another reason I think corps should not be taxed on income - more below). But in general, much of the outrage over xyz corp not paying taxes, is due to previous years carryover losses. And if we are going to tax income, you really do need to allow for loss carryover.

* Yes, just eliminate Corp income tax - that tax is just bundled into the price of products, and is a flat tax on rich/poor alike. It strikes me as so odd that many of the same people who promote a 'progressive' (mathematically) income tax also want to see increased taxes on corps, which is a flat tax on the very people they want to have progressive taxes on!

-ERD50

I couldn't care less who gets subs. Not something I think or worry about.

List of Subsidies

I thought it would be good to list & quantify some of the major subsidies discussed. Feel free to ‘copy & paste’ (or edit) additional info onto this list.

List & cost of Subsidies: Note that I’ve provided a link for each figure (hopefully somewhat accurate), and have tried to quantify ‘direct’ subsidies because, doing otherwise makes it less meaningful and less accurate IMO.

1. Agriculture: $20B/yr. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_subsidy
2. Corporate: $110B/yr https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/high-on-the-hog-the-top-8-corporate-welfare-recipients.html/
3. Religious: $80B/yr. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-82-5-billion-a-year/?utm_term=.8cdaa03e9d19
4. Energy: $20B/yr. https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/10/6/16428458/us-energy-coal-oil-subsidies
5. Transportation: I have no idea & it seems very difficult to quantify.
6. Housing: ~$240B/yr. https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015...es-than-it-does-on-affordable-housing/390666/

I couldn't care less who gets subs. Not something I think or worry about.

Does the government subsidy Robbie's Wagyu beef?

If they do, they do not do a good job because it still costs a lot.

Except for the Wagyu Beef. :cool:

ETA: BTW Robbie, we’re close enough that we could meet in The City & you could ‘treat’ me to some of that great Wagyu beef. I know a great place: Taste on Ellis. Just let me know when you’re ready.

Last edited:
3. What I’d change: Spousal SS benefits for non-working spouses (50% of PIA) are overly generous & should be reduced

I would completely disagree with this one, but that is my bias :). I many cases the non-working spouse contributes indirectly by enabling the working spouse to maintain or advance their career, particularly when there are kids involved. They do work for which they are not paid for. There have been studies done on this that one can search for. I think that is one reason for the benefit.

In addition, since in many cases the non-working spouse will outlive the working spouse, I see it as one way can help keep (not guarantee) the non-working spouse from abject poverty. I am curious as to what happens in countries that do not provide such benefits to older, non-working spouses when the working spouse dies.

US Navy and coast guard = subsidies. It's cheaper to ship a bottle from France to the US because the risk of loss of the cargo due to piracy and privateers is pretty low thanks to our military patrolling the high seas and coastal waters.

On behalf of my fellow American taxpayer, cheers!

No, that's not a subsidy because the security provided by the US Armed Forces is broadbased and benefits more than just Cognac importers. It's the same way when I enjoy the services provided by the local police, who is paid from the taxes that the public including myself pays.

A subsidy would have its beneficiaries more narrowly targeted. For example, if a law were passed to mandate free shipment of Cognac through the US Postal Office, that would be a subsidy. Or Wagyu beef from Japan.

The reverse of a subsidy is a special tariff to target and penalize specific products or services. And we have them too. :)

I always felt like I subsidized the city we had our vacation home in. Pay full taxes, go over once a month. No kids in school, less driving on the roads, no police services.

The RE tax I pay for my high-country 2nd home is a lot higher than what the locals pay, because it is based on value of the home. There are no high paying jobs for the local and permanent residents, and so most larger homes in this boondocks area are 2nd homes, for weekenders who live and work down in the metro area.

I pay about the same for that 2nd home as for my main home in the metro area. And the road grader and snowplow turn back right at my lot corner. People who live just down the road from me have to fend for themselves. The full-timers live in town closer to the highway, and they have paved roads. Weekenders want their homes a bit more remotely situated to be closer to the national forest.

But that's just the way it is. The people with money always pay more to support the people with less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom