Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

The Moment of Truth
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Moment of Truth

The moment of Truth defined as:
A critical or decisive time on which much depends; a crucial moment.

No, not talking about who stays or gets booted on "American Idol", but about Supreme Court debates the week of the 26th.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It should be a most interesting week and could affect us all in many ways. Apparently there are three days of hearings, with the third afternoon involving Medicaid expansion.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Let's start a pool.

I say Porky will show up on post 23.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let's start a pool.

Is this some kind of advanced mod technique that works by reverse psychology in order to actually try and prevent it from happening?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Is this some kind of advanced mod technique that works by reverse psychology in order to actually try and prevent it from happening?
Only if I lose the pool.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Only if I lose the pool.
And that doesn't happen often..
Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We've already set aside a reserve to cover the risks of recission, and the risk of losing coverage for our over-18 college student daughter. Losing ACA at this point shouldn't add more than 200K or so as a worst case to the medical budget we've calculated.

As always, your mileage may vary, so do your own due diligence in budgeting.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Let's start a pool.

Okay. What's the prize? And who is Porky again?

heh heh heh - I'm just glad I got old enough in ER to know I'm supposed to care.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't want to rely on constitutionality questions for health care. I don't expect it to survive this test, but what I know about the "Supremes" could be put in a flea's navel, with room to spare. I see many other countries get much better health care for a fraction of what we pay and figure that what we have is clearly dysfunctional. Sooner or later, it will change, but I keep it in mind as one of the few sectors I may invest in.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here are the estimates from five different sources about the impact of losing the mandate:

Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The collective wisdom at the decision market site intrade is anticipating that the ACA won't be thrown out, either by the supreme court or (by the implication that the next occupant of the WH will veto a repeal) by legislative action.

Intrade - The US Supreme Court to rule individual mandate unconstitutional before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012 is 34.0% probable

[mod edit]

I think many who normally abhor unbridled expansion of government power are going to acquiesce to a decision that does a great deal to separate employment from health insurance. By the way, doing so directly addresses one of the primary obstacles to ER.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Here are the estimates from five different sources about the impact of losing the mandate:
Thanls for the chart. In the spirit of full disclosure, the source of this compilation, AHIP ("America's Health Insurance Plans") is a trade group of insurers who lobbied very hard for passage of the law and whose members obviously have much to gain from a law that forces Americans to buy products from their member companies. Obviously, they aren't a disinterested party. That's not to say that the information is incorrect.

An interesting metric that the above graphic missed: How does the mandate affect the federal budget deficit? Well, the CBO estimated that eliminating the mandate but keeping the rest of the ACA (subsidies, Medicaid expansion--everything) will reduce the federal budget deficit by $252 billion from 2011 to 2020.

If the ACA is retained without the mandate, CBO estimates that by 2019 39 million people won't buy health insurance. Today, approximately 50 million people don't have health insurance, so the number of uninsured is substantially reduced compared to the present situation. Moreover, every one of those people who chooses not to have insurance will have had the opportunity to buy a policy offered without need for underwriting, etc. The poor and not-so-poor will have Medicaid and generous subsidies available to help them buy policies. Every one of those uninsured will have chosen to "roll the dice" despite plenty of available options, unlike the situation today.

The SCOTUS begins their hearings Monday, but it will be months before they rule on the issue. Plenty of time to ruminate between now and then. All the guesses in the press about how the judges will see this (based on sketchy comments they have made, opinions they wrote sometimes many years ago, etc) harkens back to the days of the Kremlinologists who used to try to discern how the Soviet Politburo would rule and which party members would get promoted using similar small scraps of information.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If you want to follow the audio, here you go:

Supreme Court Hearings on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act | C-SPAN

Set the the popcorn by the computer monitor
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Live coverage on CSPAN- though I think audio only
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am waiting for this thread to be closed. My bet is at post #30.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

After reading the news recaps of day two of the hearings, I think it's time to make my monthly contribution to my HSA.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am waiting for this thread to be closed. My bet is at post #30.
Posts are pretty civil, so far!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Administrator

It's like watching paint dry.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #19

Bacon!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Posts are pretty civil, so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Bacon!
I don't know what numbers you're holding, but no fair driving up the post count!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Closed Thread