The Senate passed a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

bondi688

Full time employment: Posting here.
Senate Democratic budget extends standoff with GOP

"An exhausted Senate gave pre-dawn approval Saturday to a Democratic $3.7 trillion budget for next year that embraces nearly $1 trillion in tax increases over the coming decade but shelters domestic programs targeted for cuts by House Republicans."

The proposed budget passed the senate by a straight partisan vote of 50 to 49. All Republicans and 4 Democrats facing re-election in 2014 voted no. It contains proposal to raise nearly 1 trillion dollars of new taxes over the next decade. The budget, if passed in the present form, may not necessarily impact on many retirees, but it appears the tax increase, the likely introduction of mean testing and other measures will affect the FIREd crowd who had saved for their retirement. The huge policy divide between the two parties will lead to likely protracted and acromonious fights and uncertainties in the next congressional session that could negatively impact on the fragile recovery and the market.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is some point to this post other than to stir up trouble. As I'm sure you know, the House and the Senate must agree on the same bill before it is sent to the President for signature into law. They almost certainly will not agree on this one. In fact, they will probably never agree, which means we'll go along with continuing resolutions. If you just want to use the Senate passing a budget as a vehicle to rant about tax increases that may or may not become law, I'd ask that you spare us.

The point is what I noted, that continuing fighting among parties, given the huge gap between the two parties, will surely happen now. That will create more uncertainty and division in the country, and will negatively impact on a fragile recovery and the stock market. And increased taxation and mean testing, if a budget like what was passed is signed into law, will weigh on people choosing the path of being FIRED .

I am an independent politically, and I am disagree with the Republicans in many of their issues just as much as I have reservations with some policies of the Democrats. It just so happened that we are sticking here more to governmental policy and approach that directly affect our ability to take the path of early retirement.

And I really do not think taking part in discussion of policies that affect our way of living and budget, conducted in a reasonable and courteous tone, is stirring up trouble.

Last edited:
The fact that the two major political parties are sharply divided is not news. They've been fighting in DC for pretty much every minute of the past 2 years. It is likely they will continue fighting until the balance of power shifts in one direction or the other -- possibly after the next election. It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion about the impact of something (a joint appropriation bill that might possibly become law) that does not exist. And as for the effect on the market, I'm sure that the prospect of a continuing impasse in Washington is fully baked in.

So, in my view, the fact that the Senate passed a budget bill is irrelevant; that bill will never become law. Given that fact, it seems pointless to discuss it. If you want to start yet another thread to talk about the evils inherent in means testing Social Security, or what a person should do to accomodate potential means testing, then you should do that. Otherwise, we're just talking politics for sake of talking politics.

Last edited:
Senator to staffer: "Wake me up when it's time to go vote".

Interesting point. I'll bet if they had voted at midnight the count wouldn't have been any different. I wonder if they think pulling an all-nighter would create the perception that they are working hard.

The fact that the two major political parties are sharply divided is not news. They've been fighting in DC for pretty much every minute of the past 2 [-]years[/-] centuries...

FIFY

The House passed a budget the Senate won't pass. The Senate passed a budget the House won't pass. Big shock there... :rolleyes:

When I see a headline that says "Congressional statesmen successfully negotiate a budget that no one likes", then I'll sit up and notice... :cool:

Last edited:
heeyy_joe said:
Senator to staffer: "Wake me up when it's time to go vote".

Remember when Obamacare was passed and the Senators were commenting that they hadn't had time to get their haircuts? Lol

The point is what I noted, that continuing fighting among parties, given the huge gap between the two parties, will surely happen now. That will create more uncertainty and division in the country, and will negatively impact on a fragile recovery and the stock market. And increased taxation and mean testing, if a budget like what was passed is signed into law, will weigh on people choosing the path of being FIRED .

I am an independent politically, and I am disagree with the Republicans in many of their issues just as much as I have reservations with some policies of the Democrats. It just so happened that we are sticking here more to governmental policy and approach that directly affect our ability to take the path of early retirement.

And I really do not think taking part in discussion of policies that affect our way of living and budget, conducted in a reasonable and courteous tone, is stirring up trouble.

I actually think you have it wrong.... now, for the first time in many years there is a starting point for discussions... it is kind of hard to compromise when one side does not put out a starting point and just talks about how horrible the other side's budget is....

The real question is will they meet in the middle or continue with the CRs... my guess is the CR route... waiting for the next election hoping that 'their' side gets more people in on their side.... but likely it will not happen...

The fact that the two major political parties are sharply divided is not news. They've been fighting in DC for pretty much every minute of the past 2 years. It is likely they will continue fighting until the balance of power shifts in one direction or the other -- possibly after the next election. It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion about the impact of something (a joint appropriation bill that might possibly become law) that does not exist. And as for the effect on the market, I'm sure that the prospect of a continuing impasse in Washington is fully baked in.

So, in my view, the fact that the Senate passed a budget bill is irrelevant; that bill will never become law. Given that fact, it seems pointless to discuss it. If you want to start yet another thread to talk about the evils inherent in means testing Social Security, or what a person should do to accomodate potential means testing, then you should do that. Otherwise, we're just talking politics for sake of talking politics.

Why do you try so hard to stop people from posting? Why not just not respond to threads or topics you do not care for?

Keeping the thread away politics in a form named politically related topics? Odd.
No, this isn't the "political topics forum", it is the "FIRE Related Political Topics" forum. Big difference.

Political topics are filled with partisan finger-pointing, mud-slinging and name-calling. Since partisan politics aren't allowed, posters must tread lightly if they wish to participate in discussions on this forum. Discussions of "the Dems this and the Repubs that" are frowned upon because they lead down a path the forum rules don't support and the topic will almost certainly be closed.

I think former mod Martha said it best in the Ground Rules:
Threads belong here if the focus is predominantly opinion based, concerning public policy, prominent political figures, or topics about governmental conduct. Posts must be related to the subject of early retirement in more than a tenuous fashion.

Be courteous and remember to address the issue at hand. Avoid sweeping generalizations and group characterizations (including generalizations regarding ideology and/or political party). Do not put aside collegial posting habits when you enter the newly renovated FIRE Related Political Topics Discussion section. The community rules apply. To that point, excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable and those who do not follow the rules will be moderated.

Keeping the thread away politics in a form named politically related topics? Odd.

This the FIRE-related political topics forum. We realize that some policies have a direct impact on FIRE and we allow discussion of those policies in a very narrow way. Talking about how those policies are going to affect your personal situation is fine. But ranting and raving about those policies just because they rub you the wrong way politically is not. And of course, discussion of policies that are not in any way related to FIRE (guns, abortion, etc...) are most unwelcome here as well. There are better places on the internet where one can discuss politics. We encourage you to explore and find them.

Last edited:
That's all folks, maybe when we have an actual budget to discuss we'll have another attempt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom