Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

They're millionaires, and they get Obamacare subsidies
Old 01-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Not much new here... but applies to many of us

I have yet to abandon my grandfathered plan, but I am making plans for that day.

This one weird trick can help even rich people buy Obamacare at sharply reduced prices. Really.

A number of wealthy individuals, some of whom were "disgusted" with Obamacare when it first went into effect, nonetheless are now taking advantage of federal financial aid available under that health-care law to help significantly reduce their monthly insurance premiums.

UtahSkier is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Administrator

This has been discussed many times here, many members receive premium assistance.
MichaelB is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She seems like a smart FA and I don't say that often

means testing subsidies wouldn't be practical
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my GF and I retire this year, she has ~.6M in assets. She will get nearly free health insurance, compliments of the State of MN. $20 a month, $0 deductible for medical, vision, dental, pharmacy and even rides to and from the appointments.

I am a multi-millionaire, I get free health insurance from the VA.

It's not uncommon. Do not blame the people for taking advantage of a program, blame the program if you do not like it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Do not blame the people for taking advantage of a program, blame the program if you do not like it.
big time - the best deal for seniors is the 3/1 ratio rule
Old 01-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

I am simply shocked, just shocked, that people would structure their income to reduce expenses.

Lessee, where else have I heard of people doing that?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

This could throw a wrench in a lot of ER/Obamacare plans...

First article out in the mainstream press that I can remember where the anomaly of "millionaires" getting subsidy from Obamacare. Interesting to see if this becomes more prevalent and Congress decides to do something about the "loophole"...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

This article was pretty silly for anyone actually paying attention.

Next they'll be complaining that some folks with $1M in assets actually are getting health care from medicare?

Or complaining that people with kids get child tax credits. Or that folks who pay mortgage interest can deduct it.

It's all part of the tax code. Smart people claim the credits and deductions that are applicable.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

a "millionaire" infers "wealth", when in fact, a retired person with 1M invested, using a conservative 4% WR (which many including me don't feel is all that conservative considering how much risk one must take on to attempt to generate a 4% return) is living on 40K + SS if they get it.

40K + SS is not "rich"...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
a "millionaire" infers "wealth", when in fact, a retired person with 1M invested, using a conservative 4% WR (which many including me don't feel is all that conservative considering how much risk one must take on to attempt to generate a 4% return) is living on 40K + SS if they get it.

40K + SS is not "rich"...
Good Point!
I will be doing taxes for seniors and low income people with the AARP-IRS program starting Monday. In my classes we had a long discussion about the impacts of Shared Responsibility Payments and premium assistance. This year if you are uninsured, the SRP (penalty) is $975. Next year it goes up to over $2000.
Souschef is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how much money you would need to be indifferent to health care costs. Certainly you'd need more then one million dollars. Without health insurance, a million in health care costs could be a drop in the bucket.

I suspect eventually there could be some means testing applied,at 62 and on private insurance it won't have an impact on me, but some of our early ER's with families could be very impacted. I suspect 5 years from now Obamacare will look very different.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I wonder how much money you would need to be indifferent to health care costs. Certainly you'd need more then one million dollars. Without health insurance, a million in health care costs could be a drop in the bucket.

I suspect eventually there could be some means testing applied,at 62 and on private insurance it won't have an impact on me, but some of our early ER's with families could be very impacted. I suspect 5 years from now Obamacare will look very different.
they might even stop calling it "Obamacare".
HadEnuff is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
they might even stop calling it "Obamacare".
ivinsfan is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
a "millionaire" infers "wealth"

That's so often true. And in this instance the author made sure to reinforce that perception by using "millionaire", "wealth" and "rich" nearly interchangeably within the first two paragraphs. But then we knew that going in based on the title. As usual, the best part is the comment section though even that wore thin before long. I guess I'm less easily entertained than in the past.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
It's all part of the tax code. Smart people claim the credits and deductions that are applicable.
+1

I'm not even sure why anybody would be upset up about this. The average ACA subsidy is something like $3-4k. That's peanuts when talking about tax breaks.
photoguy is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #16

I wonder if you folks are underestimating the PR affect of this to members of Congress. To me it falls into a similar category of recent changes Congress made to Social Security by eliminating file and suspend. Didn't impact a lot of people but Congress went after it anyway.

LARS is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
I wonder if you folks are underestimating the PR affect of this to members of Congress. To me it falls into a similar category of recent changes Congress made to Social Security by eliminating file and suspend. Didn't impact a lot of people but Congress went after it anyway.

Good point. As MichaelB pointed out, we have been discussing that around here for years. This was the first main stream article I've come across discussing these "gaming" strategies...
UtahSkier is offline   Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #18

Obamacare subsidy does not consider wealth, only income. No questions about net worth, assets, etc., only current income, which can be reduced by business expenses (for the self employed), IRA and HSA contributions. I guess the pointy heads in Washington consider only people making large incomes to be in the evil 1%, whatever.

A couple with $75k in income each year could reduce it to $60k or less, with IRA and HSA contributions and business deductions. That would qualify for some subsidy (62K or less for couples).

If said couple were "paper millionaires", and they can live on $62k or less (net income), they would qualify.

Crazy!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Precisely. This is how we got the Alternative Minimum Tax -- because 155 people with adjusted gross income of greater than $200,000 paid no income tax in 1969.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm not even sure why anybody would be upset up about this. The average ACA subsidy is something like $3-4k. That's peanuts when talking about tax breaks.
Exactly. In fact, it keeps people working. You can work, continue to pay some taxes, and get a subsidy. Even contribute to a retirement account.

The other option is people do not work to accumulate anything, and get a lot more than an ACA subsidy. People would retire before they ever started working when you create a high work penalty.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply
Closed Thread