Tomorrow should be fun... the trade war is escalating

I don't worry about day to day. We will see.

-ERD50

Same set up as today! I sold 100k $DJI when it crossed 25k last week. I will probably buy a bit tomorrow at the open and see how the week goes.

Just another buying opportunity from my POV as this gets sorted out.

Can you get DJT to hold off one more day. That is the day my auto deposit goes in to Vangaurd. I would appreciate it
Not to worry, I suspect he's not done shaking things up yet!

If we can keep out of the political trenches, we enhance the chance for thread longevity and useful discussion.

Last edited:
You think that there could be useful discussion here? Market goes up, market goes down, market goes up.... ;)

You think that there could be useful discussion here? Market goes up, market goes down, market goes up.... ;)

Right. And monthly dividends payout next Friday at the usual amount.
I'm going out on my boat.

Last edited:
Lots of folks look like this is a "good" opportunity. Granted, I don't have crystal ball, but I don't see this as a great buying time. My gut sure tells me that this is just the beginning of a correction. I know, I know...trying to time the market is a fool's game. It just seems like the storm clouds are on the horizon and although we may not have to deal with a hurricane, I do think that something with gale force winds is a distinct possibility.

Lots of folks look like this is a "good" opportunity. Granted, I don't have crystal ball, but I don't see this as a great buying time. My gut sure tells me that this is just the beginning of a correction. I know, I know...trying to time the market is a fool's game. It just seems like the storm clouds are on the horizon and although we may not have to deal with a hurricane, I do think that something with gale force winds is a distinct possibility.

True.
But I think most folks here view this as just another downturn with an upturn somewhere in the wings.

I've mentioned here a few times lately that 2008 taught me that "the worst downturn since the Great Depression" wasn't the end of the world and if anything it has made me less concerned about these things.

What goes down must go up. Eventually.

Meanwhile, my dividends/interest keep coming in at their regular amounts and intervals; my NW may vary but my "paycheck" keeps coming in every month.

I've had some very time consuming personal issues come up in the last week. As a result, I have not been sitting around checking news and social media feeds, and have been almost completely out of the loop on the day to day news. While the events that caused this change of habits isn't good, the part that involves not being aware of the news is proving to be very, very enjoyable.

I had thought that continuing to check E-R.org occasionally would keep me "safe" from the news, but apparently not :LOL:

But I think most folks here view this as just another downturn with an upturn somewhere in the wings.

Bingo!

True.

I've mentioned here a few times lately that 2008 taught me that "the worst downturn since the Great Depression" wasn't the end of the world and if anything it has made me less concerned about these things....

(Not really a response to you personally but in general :greetings10:)?While this is true, it was still a very difficult time for a lot of people—DD’s hubs was out of work for an incredibly stressful two years, a contractor we engaged in 2009 actually started crying when we signed a contract, people lost their houses, I think the city of Chicago had zero building permit applications for a couple of years. So many lives put on hold. There are some threads here during that downturn that are so sobering. We are lucky that we probably can cut back on expenses as need be and muddle through if necessary, but I’m as concerned as I was in spring 2008 if not more so.

True.
But I think most folks here view this as just another downturn with an upturn somewhere in the wings. ...
Downturn:confused:

The broad market (SPY) is up 26% in the past 18 months, 16 % the past year, and 4.5% YTD.

What "downturn"? Even if you cherry pick and measure form the market peak ( ~ 26JAN2018), we are down just 5% as of yesterday. But all those other numbers would look better if I cherry picked dates too.

Back to my couches and potatoes. Yawn.

-ERD50

I actually kinda want the market to tank big time.

Thanks for bringing this up. I had a small amount of cash sitting in a Fido taxable account, accumulated from the cash back from the credit card. I just logged in and ordered some total market fund shares with that cash. Now I think I will finish the laundry...

Back
Top Bottom