Treasury Direct

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
I'd really like to hear from anyone who uses Treasury Direct to track their federal accounts. After using the Treasury "Savings Bond Wizard" for many many years, its' discontinuance means going to the new "Savings Bond Calculator.

I found the website to be beyond my comprehension, and despite three hours of trying to use the new system, found myself at square one... unable to even sign on. Three times during the attempt, was stopped by the statement
"Unable to access website... Servicing update."

Here is the Treasury Direct Website.
https://treasurydirect.gov/tdhome.htm

... and here is the seeking alpha review of the new savings bond website, and the "simplified" short cut to help a newcomer to open a new account, and to sign on.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4179171-step-step-guide-using-treasurys-new-savings-bond-calculator

I am just looking to see if anyone here on ER has moved from using the Savings Bond Wizard, to using the new Savings Bond Calculator. Share your experience?

I tried to logon yesterday with no success. Today the same result with the message the system is down for scheduled maintenance. No idea what's going on.

Since all my holdings are now electronic through TD I don't have any need for the wizard or calculator.

I have used the calculator and to me it is real easy...

I followed the instructions to export the bonds from the wizard to a HTML file... click on that file and it opens up a window in your internet that shows your totals.. at the top it says 'Go To Savings Bond Calculator'... click on that and you have your totals...

Under your totals they show one bond, but another click and you can view all your holdings....

I have not tried to save mine in their web site... I do not need to do so...

I use the site regularly, but haven't lately. Maybe it's just undergoing routine maintenance.

I am going to miss the SBW!

Just tried to load my .htm file and the calculator does not work properly. The total includes bonds that were already cashed in and labeled as so on the SBW. Not a huge deal, but just another annoyance.

I am going to miss the SBW!

Just tried to load my .htm file and the calculator does not work properly. The total includes bonds that were already cashed in and labeled as so on the SBW. Not a huge deal, but just another annoyance.

Yes, I noticed that also... so I went in the program and deleted all cashed in bonds and only converted the file with active bonds... works just fine...

No need to keep track of those that have previously been cashed...

The Treasury Direct website represents the efforts of hundreds of people who have infinite job security.

I have about 150 small denomination EE bonds, with maturities each month over the next six years.

I transferred them into Treasury Direct in 2016 and found it ok to use for my basic needs.

System was down on the first, I had a matured bond to direct deposit into my checking and couldn't do it.

The Treasury Direct website represents the efforts of hundreds of people who have infinite job security.
My thoughts exactly. It would be difficult to imagine a more screwed up website. I found an html collection that gives the data one needs to see what the bonds are worth. So perhaps once every 6 months I tally mine. I just refuse to go anywhere near the government site.
I cashed some EE bonds that had gone beyond interest payments. Kind of a nice surprise what they were worth.

Ha

Use it all the time but I only have Ibonds. Other than it's a little quirky compared to other websites, like anything, you just get used to it.

Use it all the time but I only have Ibonds. Other than it's a little quirky compared to other websites, like anything, you just get used to it.

Same here. The web site does the job satisfactorily for I-bonds. One day I went looking to see how I could sell I-bonds bought on specific days, and I found it fairly easily.

I usually check the value on the first of every month, and I don't recall any trouble getting into the system over the last 6-7 years.

Back
Top Bottom