Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I would buy a Euro Ford Fiesta today. . . .
If Ford brings that model to the US and doesn't rename it, they are dumber than I thought. Plenty of folks here remember the old Fiesta. Why would they want to remind folks of that previous ill-fated Ford "world car?" Just because it happens to start with an "F" so it fits with their theme? Dumb.

For what it is worth, I like the styling of many of the new Fords. The Fusion and Taurus look "solid" without any garish touches. Although the Focus isn't great looking, at least it looks like they got rid of those funky chrome wing things behind the front wheels. Even the Flex, as big as it is, is a good looking vehicle IMO.
The Chryslers and the Nissans are the worst looking car lines. Some nice individual models, but the chunky/gangsta look of the Chryslers is not appealing.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The Chryslers and the Nissans are the worst looking car lines. Some nice individual models, but the chunky/gangsta look of the Chryslers is not appealing.
+1 on the Chryslers and the mobster look. I can picture the Ant Hill Mob from "Wacky Races" piling into a PT Cruiser:

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Financedude bought from essentially the same manufacturer and seems to have condemned the whole US car market. That's fine also. I only wished I had spoken to him before I bought my Pontiac Grand Prix, mine was a piece of crap also. But the rest of the cars he listed were from Chrysler. I give the manufacturers several chances. GM had five and I did not see any improvement, so I don't and will not buy from GM. I've only purchased one Chrysler product and it has been trouble free since I bought it, but that does not mean I will automatically go out and replace the Dodge with another Dodge. My several Fords have all been trouble free, but again that does not give them a pass when it comes time for a replacement, but since I have not had any trouble out of any of those cars a few problems with a car or two will not chase me away. My next car will be from either Ford or Chrysler (if they are still around). The cars I purchased from them have been good and trouble free, so they get my money. I'm not taking anything away form the Japanese manufacturers, but call me old fashioned, I look at the domestically produced items first, then if there is nothing that fits my needs I go to the foreign companies.
DW also owned a Grand Am (V-6) that was fairly ok except when the accelerator stuck to the floor, and then the brake pedal did too.......

When I worked in the auto business, I had a Sunbird as a demo. With 500 miles on it, the ABS system failed.......

In deference to GM, the last car DW and I bought was a 2003 Buick Rendevous. We leased it for 3 years because they were almost giving them away. We really didn't have any problems but we are not SUV people, and when Katrina hit and gas hit the roof, we decided having two vechicles that got 19 mpg was not that smart........

I am NOT a Ford person, their cars have always been ugly until quite recetntly........the Milan and Fusion are good looking, maybe that's the Mazda effect.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
You are part of the reason the D3 are losing money. Americans not buying cars from the D3 is why they are not making money, it doesn't matter your reasons as to why you aren't buying their cars, only that you aren't. You haven't purchased any of their products since 1978, but are now concerned with their survival? That makes no sense.

I'm not taking anything away form the Japanese manufacturers, but call me old fashioned, I look at the domestically produced items first, then if there is nothing that fits my needs I go to the foreign companies.
Your first point/paragraph is self-evident. But we all work hard for our money and have a right to spend it in whatever manner provides us with the best quality of life. I don't think I have an obligation to sustain the quality of life of D3 employees/suppliers/dealers (at all levels) at my own expense. They simply have to provide cars that are remotely equal to earn my $, they don't have to be superior.

GM has gone from 50% market share to less than 20%, but it has taken 40 years! You would have thought they might have done something to turn that around in 40 years no? You did not say it, but many people seem to assume Americans who buy foreign cars do so to spite America - IMO that's nonsense, most would prefer to buy American. I haven't bought a new car for several decades without looking to the D3 offerings, each time hoping they would have something just equal in terms of reliability, resale, performance, etc. They are getting closer to be sure, but I had not seen it yet, and I am not going to just give them my money to be patriotic.

What I will concede, I never dreamed they would continue to go downhill for 40 years before they turned things around. Evidently, I was wrong about that, and I do feel bad about it, but I don't regret my buying decisions. I hope they will finally provide a product that is equal to or better than the Japanese, and I can't for the life of me understand why they can't. It looks clear some painful sacrifices that they've known about for a long time are going to have to take place. FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I will have to say that back in the '80s, the creature comforts etc. were better in the domestics than foreign... I thought it was a hoot to see all the accords and camrys with their sun visor all faded and wrinkled in the Texas sun... and Honda did not have power seats back then... I was told by a salesman something like 'they are in the correct place, no need to move them'...

As an example, I can still move my visor in my 95 Chevy and it goes right into the clip without any fuss... most of the car interior is good (the back seat does have some threads that have broken at the top from to much sun, so that looks bad)...

But still, it is not worth the gamble IMO to 'trust' them with my next purchase... I do not want to get burned again...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe that the time is finally right in the US for a fourth automaker to emerge. Maybe out of all of this chaos a new player might emerge that will "get it right". At least that is the way a "free market" is supposed to work. I would love to see that happen.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
I believe that the time is finally right in the US for a fourth automaker to emerge. Maybe out of all of this chaos a new player might emerge that will "get it right". At least that is the way a "free market" is supposed to work. I would love to see that happen.
It will never happen. The venture capital guys that own Chrysler prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.......

Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
I agree with FD above, and we're going to have 1 to 3 "new" domestic automakers before this is over anyway. There is simply no way they can go on as they have in the past despite what management, UAW, suppliers, dealers, politicians may want to believe...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I agree with FD above, and we're going to have 1 to 3 "new" domestic automakers before this is over anyway. There is simply no way they can go on as they have in the past despite what management, UAW, suppliers, dealers, politicians may want to believe...
1)Ford will survive

2)Chrysler is dead, they might be able to sell Jeep to somebody..

3)GM will be a LOT smaller, but has a 50% chance of survival. If the GOVT mandates they have to make a ton of small cars they will lose money on, they are toast also.

Look for the Asian and Korean manufacturers to gain market share........