Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Start @ 0:27
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Refreshing the family room and this monster will be the centerpiece on the great wall.

It's a 2021 model being discontinued, so the pricing is very good.

Anyone else in the market looking at these 75" and bigger TVs? Technology continues getting better, prices continue coming down.
Whoa that’s big!

I think 77” is the largest we can handle. We are currently at 65” I think.

We often ogle the 77’ OLED at Costco.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Got my C1 delivered yesterday. Best Buy delivers to your room of choice but that's it unless you pay for installation. They barely were able to get it down the stairs with the turn at the landing. After they left I opened the box and plugged it in to make sure it worked. My son came today for the weekend, and we mounted it, grilled some steaks, and sat down to check it out this evening.

Screen tearing, I think the term is. The first description we came up on our own was "Distortion band". It's basically a line across the screen (at times) and just below it the screen is distorted. It may have something to do with motion. Where is the crying emoji?

Tomorrow I will try a different cable (bought a new one from Crutchfield just for this) and a different Firestick (tried a Firecube that worked fine on the previous TV) and check out a Screen Test utility that LG apparently has. One of these will fix the problem, or the TV goes back. NFW I pay $2600 for this. Not mad yet. Just tired.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
The wall's been cleaned up and painted (DW wanted to go bold), and the TV is mounted. Very happy with this LG model for the price.

I mounted it unassisted. Got a little personal satisfaction out of that.

Absolutely applaud the mounting height of the TV. I prefer TV's at eye level when I'm seated and not having to crane my neck to view it when mounted higher, like when mounted over a fireplace. I understand the need to compromise and mount a TV over a fireplace but do not consider it desirable. Good job.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Absolutely applaud the mounting height of the TV. I prefer TV's at eye level when I'm seated and not having to crane my neck to view it when mounted higher, like when mounted over a fireplace. I understand the need to compromise and mount a TV over a fireplace but do not consider it desirable. Good job.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I did do a bit of searching online first, and most recommended eye level when seated...with the center at about 42 inches. As I mentioned in the post afterwards, I did actually go about 6 inches higher than that to leave additional space from the heater. DW is very happy with the height as well.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm feeling so inadequate, mine is only 46".
Ours is a 40" Sony TV (early flat-screen) that is at least 15 years old. The heat that comes off the screen suggests that we could partially pay for its replacement with savings on electricity.

It cost $800 at the time, which seems to be about what a new one will cost. The largest that seems practical in the space is about 60".
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #47

Anybody remember the days with the little B&W TV sets with rabbit ears and if you were rich or well to do, had a motorized adjustable antennae with the control box that set on top of the TV with the directions of the compass N/S/E/W ? And remember the scolding about sitting too close to the set and ruining your eye sight. No wonder we all wear glasses and can't see or hear squat !
Old 07-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Anybody remember the days with the little B&W TV sets with rabbit ears and if you were rich or well to do, had a motorized adjustable antennae with the control box that set on top of the TV with the directions of the compass N/S/E/W ? And remember the scolding about sitting too close to the set and ruining your eye sight. No wonder we all wear glasses and can't see or hear squat !
I remember the first large screen TV we bought - a 32” Sony that weighed close to 100lbs. Our previous TV was a third hand 19”, so the jump to a 32” was amazing, and with the new VHS we also bought it was almost like going to the movies!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In keeping with the spirit of the thread....

Old 07-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Got my C1 delivered yesterday....

Screen tearing, I think the term is. The first description we came up on our own was "Distortion band". It's basically a line across the screen (at times) and just below it the screen is distorted. It may have something to do with motion. Where is the crying emoji?
It looks like the problem is in my receiver. When I plug my Fire cube or fire stick directly into the TV, I'm not seeing the problem. Then I just use the ARC enabled HDMI port to send the audio to the receiver. It means I'll also have to plug my Blu-Ray player into the TV. A little more cable mess. Or I could replace that receiver.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #51

It looks like the looong time it has taken on building my house is working out! The home theater can fit an 83' to 87" screen. I should be ready to hang one in a year or so. Until then all I have is my tablet.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:18 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It looks like the problem is in my receiver. When I plug my Fire cube or fire stick directly into the TV, I'm not seeing the problem. Then I just use the ARC enabled HDMI port to send the audio to the receiver. It means I'll also have to plug my Blu-Ray player into the TV. A little more cable mess. Or I could replace that receiver.
It is annoying when you buy a new component and only later realize you have to replace more than one.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #53

Quote:

Why don’t you ditch the receiver (for sound I presume) and just get a decent sound bar? There are so many at all price points that sound great. I have a Sonos sound bar with my LG OLED TV and it sounds great!
Old 07-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
Why don’t you ditch the receiver (for sound I presume) and just get a decent sound bar? There are so many at all price points that sound great. I have a Sonos sound bar with my LG OLED TV and it sounds great!
Why don't you ditch a receiver with 7 channels (maybe more), 100 watts of power (maybe more) and quit using your speaker system with likely 150 square inches of speaker surface area (or more) for a sound bar with 3 channels, maybe 15 watts of power, and maybe 40 square inches of speaker surface area?

Old 07-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Got my C1 delivered yesterday. Best Buy delivers to your room of choice but that's it unless you pay for installation. They barely were able to get it down the stairs with the turn at the landing. After they left I opened the box and plugged it in to make sure it worked. My son came today for the weekend, and we mounted it, grilled some steaks, and sat down to check it out this evening.

Tomorrow I will try a different cable (bought a new one from Crutchfield just for this) and a different Firestick (tried a Firecube that worked fine on the previous TV) and check out a Screen Test utility that LG apparently has. One of these will fix the problem, or the TV goes back. NFW I pay $2600 for this. Not mad yet. Just tired.
You were correct in trying a new HDMI cable. Get one of the "ultra high speed" HDMI cables which can handle at least 40Gbps. Also, if you haven't done so already update the firmware on both your TV and AVR. The TV probably updates automatically when first plugged in. What AVR are you using? How old is it?

Last week a friend of mine bought a TCL 65S635, which is a 65" Roku TV. He had connectivity problems, as if the TV could not "see" the cable box. Got an error message, "No cable signal, is it on?" He called the cable company and they send out a guy that convinced him the TCL TV was to blame. "TCL TV's have connectivity problems", the guy said. Back it went to the store for a Sony X90K. He got the Sony hooked up, realized it was Google TV, not Roku, an annoyance but not a deal breaker, and didn't like the picture quality.

I was called over to troubleshoot, and yes, no matter how the picture was adjusted, it simply looked washed out and lackluster when viewing streaming channels. Viewing the cable channels it was fine; viewing over-the-air channels with an antenna looked excellent, viewing streaming content, any channel, and it looked washed out. Blacks were not deep black, they were dark gray; picture was not sharp, etc. Then, at one point when watching a baseball game on cable, the audio went out. Unplugged TV for 30 seconds, replugged in and audio was restored. At this point he realized he couldn't live with the Sony. He went on and on about how excellent the picture on the TCL looked compared to the Sony and "if only the TCL would connect properly."

When I was there I noticed he had the cable box connected to the eArc HDMI input. Also, when I hooked up his HDTV antenna I noticed there was a coax cable hooked up to the antenna input of the TV. This was connected to the cable box. So an HDMI cable AND a coax cable was running from the cable box to the TV. I asked him why it was connected in this manner and he said it was because that was the way the cable guy had connected it. <shaking my head> He said the cable guy was adamant the cable box MUST be connected to the eArc input.

We went and bought the same TCL 65" TV at a different store, I hooked it up properly and he's very satisfied. Sony goes back today.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #56

TV Too Much Binging.png

Old 07-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

The receiver is an Onkyo HT-RC560 that I bought in 2013. Other than more cable clutter out the back of the TV (which I can hide), I don't know what I'm missing by connecting my FireCube to the TV and sound back to the receiver with HDMI ARC. Sounds and looks great now.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #58

Had an issue with a line in my family room 4k LG I bought from CostCo. Returned it the same day I bought it and CostCo was really good about it. For some reason I decided to buy this TV at CostCo vs online which saved me a lot of grief being able to return it right to the store the same day I bought it and noticed the defect. They interrogated me about the defect, but told me to just go buy a new one after refunding the full amount. It came with an extended 3 yr warranty for free, so hopefully no issues with the second one, but I'll be covered if so.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #59

Quote:
The receiver is an Onkyo HT-RC560 that I bought in 2013. Other than more cable clutter out the back of the TV (which I can hide), I don't know what I'm missing by connecting my FireCube to the TV and sound back to the receiver with HDMI ARC. Sounds and looks great now.
Only thing I can think of that you are missing while watching the Fire Cube is if your Onkyo sends information about the video feed, sound format, and volume setting to the TV and you see it as an on-screen display. Example: You are watching a show and your Onkyo would briefly send a message saying "5.1 Dolby Surround" to your TV, if that was the sound format of the programming. It's also possible that changing volume with your Onkyo remote will no longer show on the screen, however, it's likely you use your TV remote now anyways.

Basically, if the device hooked up to your TV does not go through your AVR first, you will miss any features the AVR "added" to the device on-screen information.

75 vs 82"
Old 07-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

75 vs 82"

We have been using a 65" Vizio for some time now. The wife wants me to get what she thinks I really want, which is the 82" Samsung sold at Sam's and often at Costco. I am torn between that and the 75" models from LG and others. The 75 would still be a good upgrade and the cost is less. But like many electronics purchases that are not absolutely necessary, I continue to check pricing and debate internally when I will pull the trigger.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote