Join Early Retirement Today

A 'fix' for those STUPID YouTube 'Shorts'
Old 01-18-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A 'fix' for those STUPID YouTube 'Shorts'

I posted some of this in another thread where a YouTube 'short' was posted. I decided it was worth its own thread.

I do not watch YouTube 'shorts'. They are an ill-conceived idea with absolutely zero redeeming qualities. They never should have seen the light of day. The 'short' format basically removes all control from the viewer, and adds nothing in return. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

But there is a solution. In the url, replace 'shorts' with 'watch', and it is back to 'normal' format, with a scrub/progress bar, screen controls, FW/REV, etc. Here you go (I added "ZZZ" to youtube in the url so the forum SW doesn't automatically replace it with the thumbnail, even though I deselected the option to parse links, so you can see the url itself. Remove the ZZZ to actually view these):

www.youtubeZZZ.com/shorts/sefXjZB9dBQ

www.youtubeZZZ.com/watch?v=sefXjZB9dBQ

If anyone can come up with a supporting argument for 'shorts', I'd like to hear it. Worse yet, I've read that Google automatically converted any video less than 60 seconds to this format, without the consent of the content creator. I'd be PO'd if they did that to me.

I guess it looks a little simpler on a phone/small screen - fewer controls? I feel there is a big difference between 'simplify' and 'dumb-down'. And a right and a wrong way to do it. This is just wrong. Or as one of my favorite 2 lines from "The Glass Onion":

Birdie: "It's so dumb it's brilliant!"
Blanc: "No, it's just DUMB!".

More options here:

https://piunikaweb.com/2022/03/15/ho...top-to-normal/

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it just replacing "shorts" with "watch"? In your example, it looks like you replaced "shorts/" with "watch?v="
qwerty3656 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is addicted to those shorts. Like you, I dislike them. My guess is that they are a response to competitors like Instagram, which I don’t use at all.

I just scroll past the row of shorts whenever I’m on YouTube, so they don’t bother me. I rarely use a browser for YouTube, as I usually use the app on my iPad or phone, as well as on Roku, so there’s no editing of a URL in those scenarios.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #4

They're probably trying to compete with TikTok. I've never watched even one second on TikTok, but heard it discussed on a podcast.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How does one happen to land on YouTube shorts? I've never had it happen. I mostly view YouTube on my PC or TV.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my favorite YouTubers experimented with a lot of shorts in November. He said it was his worst month ever for metrics so I have a feeling the market with correct itself. I don't use TikTok but I understand that Shorts are Google's response to that platform's success, much like Facebook Reels are Meta's.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
Is it just replacing "shorts" with "watch"? In your example, it looks like you replaced "shorts/" with "watch?v="
Good catch.

Yes, just change 'shorts' to 'watch'. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out, but there is some redirect or something that goes on, and it automatically changes to go from the entered:

https://www.youtubeZZZ.com/watch/sefXjZB9dBQ

to

https://www.youtubeZZZ.com/watch?v=sefXjZB9dBQ

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
How does one happen to land on YouTube shorts? I've never had it happen. I mostly view YouTube on my PC or TV.
Mostly when someone links to one! But I think if I go to my YouTube home page, a bunch show up.

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2023, 08:50 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like watching a trailer instead of the movie. Terrible
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent!! We hate youtube "shorts", but this fix worked on the first try. Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I see a few of mine got converted to shorts.

Thanks for reminding me that I have to delete my Youtube channel. Anyone do this lately? Is it easy?

I lost interest in "helping" the world and Google to my pitiful little content.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:16 AM   #12

I see that most of you dislike them, but I watch them all the time. Daily.

Solely for amusing entertainment for about 10-20 seconds each.

There's shorts with 5 or 10 million views so I'm not the only one.

If it's a worthless video I click off it.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t watch shorts either. But they’re good for Youtubers because the short videos can be posted on instagram also. I think the instagram limit is 1 minute.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you don’t like them, don’t watch them - seems easy. Those who like them couldn’t care less what you think. I’m sure they’re YouTube combating Instagram and TikTok.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you don’t like them, don’t watch them - seems easy. Those who like them couldn’t care less what you think. I’m sure they’re YouTube combating Instagram and TikTok.
You are missing the point. There are some that I want to watch, but google "stole" the user interface from me, making it more difficult for me to watch them.

If they think there is some advantage to 'shorts', they ought to at least give the option to show the regular desktop interface, for those who want it.

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2023, 10:07 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post

I guess it's no big deal for a very short 'fun' video (though I still don't see any advantage), but even a 60 second video can have some content that I want to do a pause and frame-by-frame (using the "<" and ">" keys), and/or a short/long RW/FF (L/R arrow keys, or "J"/"L" for a longer jump).

I mean, if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be complaining, and other's wouldn't be agreeing, right?

Taking away features/functionality for no reason/advantage is just wrong.As I said before, "It's just DUMB!".

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You are missing the point. There are some that I want to watch, but google "stole" the user interface from me, making it more difficult for me to watch them.

If they think there is some advantage to 'shorts', they ought to at least give the option to show the regular desktop interface, for those who want it.

-ERD50
OK Boomer LOL

I have to admit clicking a few, but pretty soon you realize that 90% of them are setups, staged in order to get clicks/views. Generally avoid when possible. Thanks for the tips!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
OK Boomer LOL

I have to admit clicking a few, but pretty soon you realize that 90% of them are setups, staged in order to get clicks/views. Generally avoid when possible. Thanks for the tips!
But don't forget, some content creators are also complaining about this.

I've seen short, informative videos that packed a LOT of info into 60 seconds. One way they do that is they include several pages of fairly detailed text, and rather than leaving it up for X seconds (some people read faster than others), they leave it up for maybe just one second, and tell you to pause to read it at your leisure. Then you can use the frame-by frame or FW/RW jump keys to get to the next page of text, and read that at your leisure. It's really a very convenient and practical way to do it. It puts the viewer in control. I like that.

The content creator does this purposefully, then YouTube bastardizes it. Stupid.

I guess the 'OK, boomer' meme means "someone with enough life experience to know right from wrong and what to do about it", then OK, thanks!

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2023, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post

I also enjoy them, but there are times I wish to see the rest of the video, I thought this was the solution. After check 6 shorts, none of them go back to the original video. all it does is change the format. I would like to get to the original video.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

A coupple of times I clicked on shorts, found them useless. Not going to do that again.