Join Early Retirement Today

AC powered bluetooth speakers
Old 07-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

AC powered bluetooth speakers

I've completed the construction of my 1920 sqft workshop but now realize that I didn't make any accomodation for a sound system.

I'm in the market for bluetooth speaker(s). I still have easy access to the attic and AC power. The ceiling and walls are rocked and the floor is concrete, so yeah, a lot of hard surfaces.

Any suggestions for placement and number of speakers? Specific products, etc?
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'd suggest wifi speakers, so you are not limited to distance and a transmitting device.

What are you going to use to source the music ?
Old 07-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'd suggest wifi speakers, so you are not limited to distance and a transmitting device.

What are you going to use to source the music ?

I'll definitely look into wifi speakers. Initially the music source will be an otherwise abandoned android smart phone. Have plans for partitioning a "clean room" in that larger space and will resurrect from mothballs my old amp and CD player -- yeah, hopelessly old school.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WE have a Bose Soundbar we use with our TV. It has a Bluetooth option, and we have played music from our Kindles through it.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

zedd,
I went with a portable JBL Charge 4 bluetooth speaker for about $150. There are others:
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...er-104124.html

Lots of opinions there to add to this discussion.

I decided that I wanted to move the speaker inside/outside, so just went Bluetooth. My source is Spotify on the phone.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #6

I spent a small fraction of what I would have spent on Bluetooth or Wifi speakers by re-purposing a set of powered PC speakers from decades ago. These speakers were not the wimpy powered speakers that came with lots of PC's, which is why I hadn't thrown them out. I put in a switched outlet and plugged in the powered speakers and a $23 thing that has Bluetooth and NFC. So I flip the switch, my phone connects, and it plays wonderfully.

Esinkin Bluetooth Receiver Wireless, NFC-Enabled Audio Adapter 4.0 for HD Home Stereo Music Streaming Sound System for 3.5mm (AUX and RCA)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used Google chromecast audio , it makes any speaker with an input into a wifi speaker.
A great product, that Google stopped making.
I'm glad I bought 2, for about $20 each a couple of years ago.

Here is old info on them:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/1...continued-sale
Old 07-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HR7PRV5 to drive the Design Acoustics sat/sub system that I use for my computer speakers. I am quite impressed with the quality and value. I see that the same company has a little more powerful amplifier with a BT receiver: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRRQDDW and also a couple more similar options. Of course the claimed 100W output is bogus, but the amp still might be enough.

For speakers I would go in-wall from a quality brand like Klipsch because I am a bit of an audiophile and I have Klipsch everywhere else. But you might be very satisfied with something less expensive. In my experience, MCM Electronics has been a good source if inexpensive audio. They were a sister company with Newark, which has now absorbed them. I went there to check less expensive options and found something that might suit you just fine: https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-au...30w/dp/83X8333 ;in-wall, powered with BT @ $45/pair! If you poke around there you will probably find other options too.

You can probably build or buy some kind of box enclosures that will improve the sound from even cheap speakers that are ceiling mounted. A first project for the new shop!
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #9

That's one hell of a workshop (1900sq-ft), definitely envious. Would think you would need about 4 speakers spaced out so that the sound volume is somewhat level throughout the shop. Many of the powered bluetooth speakers are standalone and doubt a single speaker would be sufficient for your shop. Another thing to consider is how far the bluetooth signal can travel, could be an issue in that size shop. I think I would look at wired speakers with maybe a small bluetooth receiver.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #10

We like Sonos, which sounds fantastic. Whatever you choose, it’s simplest to have one system that can grow with you, all controlled by one app. Enjoy.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #11

I appreciate the feedback.

Decided to go with four, wired (non-bluetooth), 6.5", in-ceiling, 250w, 8ohm, 2-way, low-end speakers. The ceiling is rocked but I still have open access to the shop attic. I'll build enclosures to cover the speaker backs protruding in the attic and run 14g wire back to my amp. I'll layout the whole thing on the shop floor first and play around with wiring each channel (left and right respectively) in series or parallel to see if it makes any difference sound-wise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a two channel, Bluetooth 5.0, 100w (more like 90w), 4-8ohm, powered amp. I'll mount it on the wall above a 120v outlet, inside a weatherproof box (think cable box.) This will deliver approximately 22.5w to each of the four speakers.

I'll run Pandora and Spotify on a repurposed cellphone and Bluetooth-connect to the amp. The cellphone and charger will fit nicely in the same weatherproof box.

I boosted my home internet signal to extend out to the shop's repurposed cellphone. I built an RV pad with full utilities midway between the house and shop this summer. The internet extender is plugged into the RV power pedestal.

All of the above set me back about $200 bucks (RV pad extra.) It's all proof-of-concept. I'll have fun playing around with it.

Thanks again gang.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #12

Will be curious to see your report on how well that amp works. Seems a little small and is only 2 channels but you're probably not looking to blow the walls down with it anyway. Will probably need to connect the speaker pairs in parallel to match the amp impedance.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
... a little small ...
You don't say? To claim a useful 100watts from that tiny box is simply consumer fraud.

But lying about output power is a tradition in audio amplifier marketing, so why should this one be any different? The question is whether the little box will drive the OP's speakers to volume levels that make him happy. The only way to know is to try it, but my guess is that it might work out just fine. The same vendor has a similar box that claims 100 watts. That would be the next thing to try if this one at least gets close.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #14

Here is a test of an amp that has a similar class D chip as zedd's amp, although there are no tone controls on the tested amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10506/

It can't reach 100W since the included power supply can't deliver 100W. I think they just pulled that number from the Texas Instruments data sheet for the chip driving the amp. It puts out 100W with a 1kHz test tone at 10% THD. Not exactly a usable situation.

I have the same amp as zedd's (with different labels) driving a pair of Polk Atrium 55 speakers on my deck, and it works fine. I drive it with my phone via bluetooth.

Zedd, you probably want to connect the speakers in parallel, since the amp is specced for 4-8 ohm speaker loads.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Here is a test of an amp that has a similar class D chip as zedd's amp ...
Interesting. Thanks. Kind of confirms my guess that the gadget will meet the OP's needs as long as he does not want to run at very high sound levels. Some of the stuff, like 3db rolloff frequencies are far outside what most speakers will reproduce anyway and I doubt that many of us old farts can still hear 20khz (if we ever could).
Old 08-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #16

Posting an update. Installation was delayed because I underestimated the amount of speaker wire needed.

Installed and sounds great. That little 100-ish watt Bluetooth amp puts out more than enough power for my needs. I just leave the amp turned on. So nice to step into the shop, launch Pandora/Spotify/IHeart on my phone, pick the bluetooth amp as output and I'm ready to go. Bluetooth range seems to be in excess of 100 feet. If I do step out of range then come back the connection is reestablished automatically as long as I haven't dismissed P/S/I. Additional benefit of this setup is that I'm less likely to miss texts and/or phone calls when I'm working in the shop. Definitely would recommend this setup for a garage or workshop.