Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #201
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The scenery would do it for me if it’s set in the Wind Rever range Wyoming. We’ve driven through a few times.
Turns out much of it wasn't filmed in Wyoming at all. Most of it was filmed in Utah. I checked the credits, and am very familiar with the range- hiked, climbed and fished there for 30+ years. I too was looking forward to seeing the area filmed, and was disappointed that it was shot elsewhere. But to the unfamiliar, you would never know. The 'Winds' (as we affectionately call it) is one of my favorite places. Really enjoyed the movie regardless.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #202

+1

I too enjoyed the movie.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
but, the story line is a bit thin.
Yeah, I should have provided a little background when recommending this movie (although it did warn at the beginning of the movie that it was based on true events). For instance:

Quote:
During the course of the shoot, writer-director Taylor Sheridan was visited on set by some Shoshone tribal leaders who astonished him with the revelation that, at that very time, there were 12 unsolved murders of young women on a reservation of about 6,000 people.

Due to a 1978 landmark government ruling (Oliphant v. Suquamish), the Supreme Court stripped tribes of the right to arrest and prosecute non-natives who commit crimes on native land. If neither victim nor perpetrator are native, a county or state officer must make the arrest. If the perpetrator is non-native and the victim an enrolled member, only a federally-certified agent has that right. If the opposite is true, a tribal officer can make the arrest, but the case must still go to federal court. This quagmire creates a jurisdictional nightmare by choking up the legal process on reservations to such a degree, many criminals go unpunished indefinitely for serious crimes.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988...ef_=tt_trv_trv
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

I really liked Greenfingers. If you enjoy gardening or visiting botanical gardens you may want to check it out.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

New season of Bosch now streaming.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
New season of Bosch now streaming.
Thanks for the news. DW and I enjoyed Bosch a lot. I hope the writers will just keep it coming as it has been: a good cop show with just enough off-duty storyline to give the characters some depth and make them interesting. Unfortunately, history indicates these shows often morph into soap operas. Go Harry Bosch!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Thanks for the news. DW and I enjoyed Bosch a lot. I hope the writers will just keep it coming as it has been: a good cop show with just enough off-duty storyline to give the characters some depth and make them interesting. Unfortunately, history indicates these shows often morph into soap operas. Go Harry Bosch!
I watched the 1st episode tonight and it's pretty much more of the same. Like you....don't mess with the formula.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #208

I really liked "Megan Leavey". It is the story of an aimless 20-something who enlists in the marines because she can't think of anything better to do, and her family is dysfunctional. She evolves into the best bomb-sniffing dog trainer they have. She bonds deeper than family to her dog. There are some very harrowing scenes in combat. It was engrossing for me.

Based on a true story. In an interview the real ML said that she was happy with it but that some of it was overdramatic.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

I seldom watch any TV. Except Bosch. Binge watched six episodes of season 4 until 0330 and couldn't stay awake.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #210
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think we watched 2 seasons. It was fun for awhile. I enjoyed seeing the female star in her various cloned roles.
I got season one of Orphan Black and lasted through about 20 minutes. It seemed like so many other shows, nothing really interesting to draw me in. And the characters not only were cliches, but I found the main character female to be downright irritating in her smugness. I guess she was doing a good acting job at being smug and entitled, lol.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I got season one of Orphan Black and lasted through about 20 minutes. It seemed like so many other shows, nothing really interesting to draw me in. And the characters not only were cliches, but I found the main character female to be downright irritating in her smugness. I guess she was doing a good acting job at being smug and entitled, lol.
You should have stuck around. You would have found that the actress, Tatiana Maslany, plays the part of many characters in the film... each with different looks and personalities. I was quite impressed with her (acting) abilities.

See, for instance: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...n-black-clones

Quote:
When makeup artist Stephen Lynch heard that Tatiana Maslany had been hired to star in the Canadian sci-fi series Orphan Black, which centers on a single mother who discovers she is one of a dozen (and counting!) clones, he was dubious. Not because of Maslany’s acting ability—Lynch had worked with the talented actress before and was confident in her skills. But because he would have to cosmetically transform Maslany into a dozen different characters with distinct looks. And since the actress has dark hair, dark eyebrows, and an olive complexion, the makeup artist simply did not think that she would be that “changeable”—especially given that the show’s budget prohibits prosthetics.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You should have stuck around. You would have found that the actress, Tatiana Maslany, plays the part of many characters in the film... each with different looks and personalities. I was quite impressed with her (acting) abilities.

See, for instance: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...n-black-clones
Hmmm. OK, maybe I'll give it another chance.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #213

Just finished 6 seasons of Justified, an FX series. It was excellant. And unlike a lot of longer term series it just didn't implode or fizzle at the end. The writers brought the series to a conclusion that let you know what happened to the main characters.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

I haven't watched too much of Amazon Prime Video but now they're raising the price of Amazon Prime by 20%.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Highly recommend Newsroom for binge watching... and Nikita if you like action.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I haven't watched too much of Amazon Prime Video but now they're raising the price of Amazon Prime by 20%.
Yes they are.
So at 119 a year that works out to $9.91 per month, or about what you'd pay for a Netflix or Hulu subscription, but, you also get, free 2 day shipping if you shop a little, a free library of ebooks if you can read on a Kindle or Kindle App, free downloads of magazines if you read on an Kindle, same for some videos.

You only need to use Amazon for a little of all of those services to make it worthwhile.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

I find my problem with Amazon Prime video is not the content but the interface. Not nearly as good as the Netflix interface. Unless you are extremely careful it's easy to start looking for shows and suddenly end up selecting one that isn't included with Prime..Easy enough not to pay for it but that's time wasted looking.

I keep hoping they will improve the interface but nothing has happened yet.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I find my problem with Amazon Prime video is not the content but the interface. Not nearly as good as the Netflix interface. Unless you are extremely careful it's easy to start looking for shows and suddenly end up selecting one that isn't included with Prime..Easy enough not to pay for it but that's time wasted looking.

I keep hoping they will improve the interface but nothing has happened yet.
I don't understand. When I open the Prime Video app (either directly with TV or through ROKU), I have listings by category stating "Included with Prime:..." And, in addition, every video that is included in your subscription has a "Prime" banner across the upper left corner of each icon. (I am unsure what using the "Search" function does by entering a specific title.) What could be more straight forward?

This, btw, is the same screen I get by using Internet Explorer to access Amazon/Your Prime Video. I quite often use that method to quickly add videos to my "Watch" list.

On the other hand, I find the Netflix interface to be quite complicated... not necessarily worse but complicated nonetheless. For instance, all the secret (well, hard to find) search categories. See for example: https://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-styl...tml/?a=viewall
Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I don't understand. When I open the Prime Video app (either directly with TV or through ROKU), I have listings by category stating "Included with Prime:..." And, in addition, every video that is included in your subscription has a "Prime" banner across the upper left corner of each icon. (I am unsure what using the "Search" function does by entering a specific title.) What could be more straight forward?

This, btw, is the same screen I get by using Internet Explorer to access Amazon/Your Prime Video. I quite often use that method to quickly add videos to my "Watch" list.

On the other hand, I find the Netflix interface to be quite complicated... not necessarily worse but complicated nonetheless. For instance, all the secret (well, hard to find) search categories. See for example: https://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-styl...tml/?a=viewall
the problem is I do sort by prime, you can click on a show, read the brief description and see a list of "Similar Shows" and start scrolling though that list. You'll find the shows listed are not all prime shows and you must keep an eye out for the prime banner. Or you'll find a series you like on prime suddenly get a season or two into it and suddenly its a pay for season. They shouldn't mix Prime and no Prime when you have already clicked the "included with Prime" option...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
the problem is I do sort by prime, you can click on a show, read the brief description and see a list of "Similar Shows" and start scrolling though that list. You'll find the shows listed are not all prime shows and you must keep an eye out for the prime banner. Or you'll find a series you like on prime suddenly get a season or two into it and suddenly its a pay for season. They shouldn't mix Prime and no Prime when you have already clicked the "included with Prime" option...
Got it.