Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just did the 1 year for $60 with a free Echo dot, was surprised they included Howard Stern with this offer, the discounts I've been offered in the past were just for the music channels.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #42

Isn't the $5 per month more like $15, once taxes and fees are added in?

I canceled mine this spring since I'm not driving 1/10th as much as I did in the "before times." Boy, that took some doing to get them to finally cancel! At one point the liar customer service rep even told me the $5 was all-in; I knew better. He also told me it was canceled when the follow-up email said it was only suspended with an automatic re-activation after X number of months. They convinced me never to do business with them again.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
For us in Texas, which also adds sales tax, it comes out to about $6.50/mo total cost for a base contract of $5/mo.

The Royalty Fees last summer were a touch over 21%. So, $5/mo would have a ~$1.05/mo Royalty Fee.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
With taxes and royalties, mine is $84.86 for 12 months. I use the app far more than my in-car radio.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
With taxes and royalties, mine is $84.86 for 12 months. I use the app far more than my in-car radio.
Yep, mine is 83 and change for the year.
One can always negotiate for this rate every single year.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #46

Quote:
With taxes and royalties, mine is $84.86 for 12 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yep, mine is 83 and change for the year.
If those amounts are for a $5/mo contact, I wonder why so high. The Royalty Fee is 21.4%, and sales tax can't be 14-16%.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
If those amounts are for a $5/mo contact, I wonder why so high. The Royalty Fee is 21.4%, and sales tax can't be 14-16%.
$60
+ Royalty 12.84 (21.4%)
+ Tax 10.02 <-- that is higher than my normal sales tax, which would be $5.09, but I perhaps there are some state taxes wrapped in there special like hotels do?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

We have a friend who claims he was able to get them to give him a $5 a month rate (single vehicle) FOR LIFE so he doesn't have to go through this yearly exercise. Rick wasn't able to secure that for me, but I'm gathering ammo so I can try again next year. Anyone tried this? It's kind of entertaining talking to them, but that's 30 minutes of my life I won't get back. But hey, I'm retired - what else do I have to do?
I haven't finished reading the thread, but will be very interested if anyone else got this deal.

I used to have the $5/mo rate. I didn't listen very often, but was willing to pay $5/mo just to have satellite radio for a change of pace. However, Sirius would only agree to a 5 month term and so I was doing the dance at least twice a year and it got really old.

The last time I called to cancel, I said I would only renew if they agreed to extend my term for a year. To my surprise, they said no and processed the cancellation.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I haven't finished reading the thread, but will be very interested if anyone else got this deal.

I used to have the $5/mo rate. I didn't listen very often, but was willing to pay $5/mo just to have satellite radio for a change of pace. However, Sirius would only agree to a 5 month term and so I was doing the dance at least twice a year and it got really old.

The last time I called to cancel, I said I would only renew if they agreed to extend my term for a year. To my surprise, they said no and processed the cancellation.
The main reason Sirius XM has been offering sweet deals these days is because most users of the service have it in their cars. With Covid, almost no one is driving a regular commute, so folks didn't renew their subscriptions. I used to do the every 5-6 month dance, and it got very old. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of a choice, since terrestrial radio sucks and I needed channels for everyone to listen.

I thought seriously about buying Pandora or Spotify and streaming from my phone. However, I would have needed an unlimited data plan, in turm doubling my cell phone bill. No bueno.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post

I thought seriously about buying Pandora or Spotify and streaming from my phone. However, I would have needed an unlimited data plan, in turm doubling my cell phone bill. No bueno.
I have Spotify Premium. If you have enough space on your phone, download some/all of your Spotify playlists to your phone. I do this and it does not use data.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I just did this on the 24th. It was a Sunday so no phone that day but I did it via online chat. I was getting $5 a month and so they continued it. Didn't know to ask for the Dot and they didn't mention it. With fees and taxes it is $77.93

FYI you can also use it for streaming, on computer or phone app. Not just in car. So there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Man, I am getting screwed big time. I'm paying $26/mo and my renewal is due soon. I hardly do any driving anymore but I justify it since it is accessible on my phone and laptop. I don't plan to go without XM but I might drop it for a few months until they offer me a better price.
Just contact them now and say you are cancelling unless you get the $5 a month rate. Ask them for the Dot. I didn't know about it so didn't but you could try. You can always cancel
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #52

Thanks for posting your actual totals with taxes and fees. Either I did my math wrong or the guy I talked to didn’t know what he was talking about. Probably both.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:37 AM   #53

We had it from 2003-2014 & found value at the time. When they merged, the prices started to climb.

It was nice while living in Mexico as it reached most of the country. After returning, Amazon Prime gave me the music I wanted. Podcasts are also free.

I seem to remember paying $8-9/mo for the online & 1 car.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can someone tell me if the $5 plans include the Major League Baseball channels or not please? I would consider signing back up if I could use it to listen to baseball games streaming to my phone while I'm out for a walk. I pay for my data usage on Google Fi, but Sirius XM compresses the crap out of their "talk" channels, so I'm not worried about the hit to my data plan. Like most of you, I'm hardly in the car these days, so even though $5 is a good price, I don't think I'll sign back up just for in car audio options. And yes, one reason I didn't renew once the $5 offer showed up in my In box (after I cancelled) was the short duration of it and the hassle of "doing the dance" again in just a few months.

Edit to add: Prior to cancelling more than a year ago, I was paying ~$120/year all-in, but my package did not include the sports channels. They would not lower my price at that time to what I knew was their "return to us" offer, so you had to cancel to get the best price. What a stupid business model. IMHO SiriusXM should NEVER let a subscriber go because we're highly likely to never return.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
$60
+ Royalty 12.84 (21.4%)
+ Tax 10.02 <-- that is higher than my normal sales tax, which would be $5.09, but I perhaps there are some state taxes wrapped in there special like hotels do?
Royalty, yes it's a radio station. I wonder who the genius was that decided they should charge extra for playing music..I think car rental companies should start charging extra for tires on the car.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I was delighted when we got a USB connection for our car stereo. No more satellite radio -yeah! I much preferred to plug in an iPod or our phones.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Hmmm, I just did this on the 24th. It was a Sunday so no phone that day but I did it via online chat. I was getting $5 a month and so they continued it. Didn't know to ask for the Dot and they didn't mention it. With fees and taxes it is $77.93

FYI you can also use it for streaming, on computer or phone app. Not just in car. So there's that.

Just contact them now and say you are cancelling unless you get the $5 a month rate. Ask them for the Dot. I didn't know about it so didn't but you could try. You can always cancel

Just finished doing this a few minutes ago thru online chat which I would rather do than waiting on the phone. back to $5/month plus fees of another $1.07. I wasn't paying attention for the last 3 months and was paying $20.83/month instead of my initial $6.07. I like it enough @$6/month. I don't like it enough to pay $21/month.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Can someone tell me if the $5 plans include the Major League Baseball channels or not please? I would consider signing back up if I could use it to listen to baseball games streaming to my phone while I'm out for a walk.

It's not in mine (I have the $5 a month select plan that I think most of us do) - just tried in the app and got "Sorry, this channel is not part of your subscription package."
Old 02-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Can someone tell me if the $5 plans include the Major League Baseball channels or not please? I would consider signing back up if I could use it to listen to baseball games streaming to my phone while I'm out for a walk.
Mine does. I'm pretty sure they all do.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:09 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I appreciate all the encouragement to lobby for a discount, but I feel a bit like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that is being tee'd up by Lucy. I cancelled a 2nd subscription awhile back and waited (and waited) for a promo but it never came. Have a feeling I don't fit the demo to get these deals but what the hey!