Join Early Retirement Today

Another Amazon Prime Video Gripe
Old 12-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Amazon Prime Video Gripe

Saw the thread about commercials invading "Corner Gas" an offering to Prime members on Amazon Prime. I have a beef about Amazon Prime, and I'd like to ask the group if they've experienced anything similar.

About 2 years ago, I saw that Amazon Prime had the The X-Files Seasons 1 through 9 available on Prime Video. Since it had been 10-12 years since I last saw any X-Files episodes I decided to start at the beginning. (If you were a fan years ago, another run through is most satisfying--you pick up on things you missed and the show does not seem dated, except for the gradual use of cell phones in the stories.)

So I watched almost all of the first season's episodes, I think I had two left to go, when I noticed it was no longer available on Prime Video. If I wanted, I could purchase each individual episode for $1.99 (or somesuch.) What??!!

It was not the end of the month when they typically change programming. A couple of days later I asked my son, who was attending college (they get free Amazon Prime accounts) if he had The X-Files available on Prime Video. He said he did.

That got me to thinking--do they have some artificial intelligence monitor what I'm watching, wait for me to get hooked on something and then yank it from Prime hoping I will pay to watch further? It sure seemed like it to me.

Since then it has happened a couple of other times. I will put Prime eligible movies on my Watch List and a couple of days later--not at the end of the month--they will be back to pay per view on demand.

Anybody else experience this abrupt change of programming from Prime to pay in the middle of a series you were watching? Or with things on your Watch List?

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting post. I was watching Midsommer Murders from start to finish three months ago (or at least was trying to do so) and suddenly all the seasons that were once prime and available were no longer prime - and I don’t think it was the end of the month or a logical cut off point wither. As info, I just checked on X-Files and for me at least it looks like seasons 1-9 are prime.
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

I can't swear to it, but I thought that all 5 seasons of Corner Gas were part of Prime. Now that I've started season 2 - with commercials - I see that season 4 & 5 are still part of prime, but season 3 isn't!

This, if true, is a very sleazy tactic.

The nature of Amazon, and by extension Jeff Bezos, is to be greedy. We have to either accept that or not do business with them. For now, I accept.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm, I have experienced putting movies on my watch list and have them become Pay for view before I got around to watching them.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I can't swear to it, but I thought that all 5 seasons of Corner Gas were part of Prime. Now that I've started season 2 - with commercials - I see that season 4 & 5 are still part of prime, but season 3 isn't!
We streamed all 5 seasons of Corner Gas on Amazon Prime earlier this year. Not one commercial.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

This, if true, is a very sleazy tactic.

The nature of Amazon, and by extension Jeff Bezos, is to be greedy. We have to either accept that or not do business with them. For now, I accept.
Season 1,2, 4 and 5 are part of prime.
It says Season 3 is included as a part of your IMDB TV (but not Prime), but I can still watch all of episodes of Season 3 without paying anything extra.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots of streaming services are competing for content. I would not be surprised if some other service (like Acorn) got Midsomer Murders.

Perhaps there is a website that watches the comings and goings of Amazon video like this one for Netflix

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ew-on-netflix/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Lots of streaming services are competing for content. I would not be surprised if some other service (like Acorn) got Midsomer Murders.
Midsomer Murders is on Pluto TV, channel 375. You can't watch on demand, but you can watch whatever they are showing live at that time of day.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Happens all the time with Amazon Prime. I almost sold a DVD collection thinking the show is on Amazon Prime videos only to find the show was on, then not. Good thing I wasn't greedy and didn't sell.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hula has X-files btw. You can have it for $1.99 per month with some ads. Deal expires tomorrow I think.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
Season 1,2, 4 and 5 are part of prime.
It says Season 3 is included as a part of your IMDB TV (but not Prime), but I can still watch all of episodes of Season 3 without paying anything extra.

Interesting. I get ads for season 2 which is being streamed as IMDB TV.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Midsomer Murders is on Pluto TV, channel 375. You can't watch on demand, but you can watch whatever they are showing live at that time of day.
WOW, that sounds so 1980's.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps, but they do have a lot of content and it's free (but not AD free).
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
They do have some on demand movies.

They also have ads, mostly for their own service.

You can see it online at plutotv.com.

Any streaming service that has classic Doctor Who, James Bond movies, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Rifftrax, and IT Crowd is a winner in my book.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Perhaps, but they do have a lot of content and it's free (but not AD free).
Free is an excellent price.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to use a site called Instantwatcher (https://instantwatcher.com/) to track what was arriving/departing on both Amazon Prime and Netflix. There are literally several shows that appear and disappear every day. It’s an incredibly fluid situation and, if what you say is true, that would be very slimy on Amazon’s behalf to give you season 1,2, 4 and 5 for free, but charge you for season 3 of a series. There is a way for you to slime back though. Amazon offers several add-on subscriptions that you can preview for a period. Recently, DW and I used two previews to binge through all the content we were interested in on both Acorn and Britbox, then cancelled their various trials. We also have one year free trials for both Disney+ and AppleTV, so we’re cancelling Netflix for a year. And then there’s OTA content and stuff like PlutoTV. Just as long as you don’t care about live sports, you can find something interesting to watch...

BTW - Amazon Prime has all 5 seasons (60 episodes) of The Wire. It’s outstanding and well worth the time.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote