Another bad Apple tactic

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
First, I have made a lot of money on Apple stock, but I do not like their products.... my DW and DD just wasted a bunch of money going from Iphone 10 to 12... my sister just bought a new Ipad pro... we also bought a new Ipad for DW....

However, my sister's Ipad (which is less than 6 months old) stopped charging... she took it into Best Buy and they got it charging with a new plug... but 3 weeks later it stops again and this time nothing will fix it..

SOOO, she takes it into the Apple store to get a new one under warranty and guess what:confused: They say if she wants to exchange it she has to pay half the cost of full price!!! The only option is to buy Apple care and they could replace it.... so she pays the $70 to get a new one...

I asked what their reason was not to get her a new one under warranty? She said she did not know but they told her these were the only options she had...

REALLY:confused::confused: You have a one year warranty but you do not honor it?

Way to cheat the customer Apple

I agree. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Apple.

Here’s one: DS walked into the ocean with his iPhone in his pocket. Completely his fault and the phone was dead. We went to the Apple store and they gave him a new one for $250.

Sounds very similar to my experience back in the winter. I bought an iPad Pro. Just past the return window at Costco it quit charging. I ended up at the Apple Store. They determined that it was the charging cable. However, no charging cable in stock that day. They would sell me a new charging cable, but a replacement cable would have to be ordered.

I bought the new cable and had them order a replacement cable. Now this was before widespread vaccinations and many COVID cases circulating. They insisted that the only way I could get the replacement cable was to make a second trip to the Apple Store. When I asked to have the replacement sent to me I was told no that I needed to bring the defective cable back to the store. I pointed out that I had the defective cable with me and could give it to them then. No go.

When I went back to the store and picked up the replacement cable, it was in a little envelope that had been mailed to the store. In other words, it could have been mailed to me. I was disappointed that I was expected to venture out a second time during COVID.

This was extremely poor customer service. Especially considering that I had purchased an expensive item, IPad Pro, and the replacement part was just a cord.

We really don’t know why Apple did not replace or repair the IPad under warranty because OP’s sister apparently did not insist they do so and then get a definitive reason why it can’t be done. You have to know what the warranty is on your products before you approach the manufacturer. They don’t always have the most experienced customer service reps on the front lines and sometimes they just give random answers.

We don’t have enough information here to really know if Apple would have replaced the IPad under warranty if OP’s sister pushed for it. I would think just basic curiosity would be enough to ask why before paying for Applecare to get a replacement.

The Apple warranty is below. They warranty that they will fix it or replace it with a refurbished machine. If you want a brand new unit, you need Apple Care. The offer to replace it for half the cost is consistent with their warranty even though it’s not specifically stated, they infer that they will consider the existing unit and basically prorate the warranty.

I think allowing to buy Apple Care after the fact and get a new unit was a pretty good outcome.

If during the Warranty Period you submit a valid claim to Apple or an AASP, Apple will, at its option, (i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (ii) replace the Apple Product with a device that is at least functionally equivalent to the Apple Product and is formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

So the warranty requires they offer a solution that gives you a working unit at no additional cost. They may reserve the right to use refurbished parts if they have them available but more than likely they will just replace the unit with a new unit.

I had an iPad keyboard fail after 11 months. I did not have Apple Care but I called Apple and they sent me a brand new keyboard under the warranty.

I have my first iMac on order. Partly because we've had 5 iPads and 4 iPhones without a single hardware issue, and we don't upgrade often (e.g. from iPhone 6+ to iPhone 12), and they work together so well it's incredible. We're happy to enter the Apple ecosystem based on previous experiences. Although there will always be legitimate exceptions, it seems most Apple customers are pleased based on their market cap and other metrics.

Well, that's the question.
You're recounting a story you heard from someone else, and it's pretty clear there are facts missing from it.
That's not the way Apple does business.

It seems the missing facts are that the sister was insisting on a new (vs. refurbished) iPad.

The ironic thing is that I've bought "refurbished" iPads from Apple and they are like new (and sometimes ARE brand new as Apple has sold as refurbished stock they didn't want to discount through other retailers).

It’s common practice that exchanges are refurbished versions of the product. That’s not new or unique.

Like what?

You said she didn’t know why they only offered certain options to resolve the problem. Is it possible she could’ve had her iPad repaired under warranty vs. an exchange? Most warranties stipulate repair or replace at mfr’s option.

Back
Top Bottom