Anybody with giga speed?

I have it simply because the throughput, whatever you start with, degrades as you move it around the house and use WiFi. So I wanted to start with a ridiculous level so that even in dark corners it was fast and reliable. And so it is - I get about 200Mbts in my office and 25 in the bedroom. The result is DW and I can both be on multiple gadgets with no interruption, streaming is smooth and I have to do very little it support!

You are not getting what you are paying for, as ERD50 has pointed out, the problem with your setup is inside your house.

You could have a 300Mbts service and get faster speeds all over the house than you currently get. If you upgraded your cables/switchs and router(s) to handle the fast speed they are being flooded with, and the placement of the wireless router, (or use mesh network or wifi-extenders).

I have what Xfinity is pleased to call "Blast!" Internet (because it's more genteel than "Damn!" Internet). I'm usually at 230 Mbps down, 25 Mbps up. The cost just jumped 6% without so much as a by-your-leave from Xfinity, but it's still worth it to us. We're online people and all of our entertainment is streamed.

That's about as good as we're going to get down here on the sandbar. There's a fiber loop only a mile away, but the cost to bring it to our condo development is prohibitive.

At some point more speed doesn't make much difference. Having a bigger pipe won't help if the well cannot supply it that fast.

I've got giga fiber to the house here. I did see a difference from the 100 Mbps service initially. Problem seems to be how do you tell if you are getting the speed promised. All the speed test websites I tried capped at about 600 Mbps, multiple searches for servers that supported giga speeds turned up a few, more now (I just checked). Speed varied, depending on server from a "low" of 250 Mbps to a high of 460 Mbps. Of course the internet supplier's installer showed near gig speed immediately after install. :cool:
I don't think anyone will actually get gig speeds except in optimum conditions. In any case, DW says we pay $50 for internet so not bad compared the $56 a month 100 Mbps was costing us.:dance:

Last edited:
I am paying $80 for internet and voice with a $20 bundle discount... plus $10 for modem... add taxes etc. and just over $76 per month... so probably paying $50ish just on internet...

I do not see them lowering the cost of giga to below these high rates on such slow speeds...

Back
Top Bottom