Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Use 4GCommunity for cheap internet?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone Use 4GCommunity for cheap internet?

I just heard about them. It's run as a nonprofit and they give you a mobile hotspot for internet. No throttling and no limits. $250 the first year and 168 the second year since you don't need the hotspot again. It runs off the sprint network.

4gcommunity
found out about them in the comments on this post
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This almost seems to fall under the category of "If it's too good to be true, it most likely isn't" I searched for reviews and didn't really come up with anything negative. However, they have not been around long. Here is a discussion board:

https://www.reddit.com/r/yourKarma/c...af&sh=85de4e20

I checked and I am not in Sprints network area. I might have taken a flyer on this.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #3

Interesting post. Thanks.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting this - never knew it existed.

After doing some online research last night and again this morning, I'm giving 4gCommunity a try. There is a 7 day full refund trial period which should allow me to check out how well it works before committing. I have clear line of sight to a Sprint tower 1.6 miles away, so I should get a good signal.

Living out in the sticks makes for limited options when it comes to internet providers. Satellite, over-the-air (WISP) and cell phone data are the only way we can get service and all are either slow, expensive, and/or have low data caps. This plan ($265 the first year, including $15 membership fee) works out to $22/mo, substantially less than I'm paying for a slow (less than 3mbps down and 0.35 up ) WISP service that also has reliability issues and severe slowdowns during high use periods - streaming isn't possible.

I'll report back on my experience after I have it up and running.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm interested how to make this work at home with my airport. It seems that everyone who uses it on the slickdeals thread is using pc's. I'm hoping this is as simple as using my iphone as a hotspot.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks for posting this - never knew it existed.

After doing some online research last night and again this morning, I'm giving 4gCommunity a try. There is a 7 day full refund trial period which should allow me to check out how well it works before committing. I have clear line of sight to a Sprint tower 1.6 miles away, so I should get a good signal.

Living out in the sticks makes for limited options when it comes to internet providers. Satellite, over-the-air (WISP) and cell phone data are the only way we can get service and all are either slow, expensive, and/or have low data caps. This plan ($265 the first year, including $15 membership fee) works out to $22/mo, substantially less than I'm paying for a slow (less than 3mbps down and 0.35 up ) WISP service that also has reliability issues and severe slowdowns during high use periods - streaming isn't possible.

Great! I look forward to reading your review of this service. Here in New Orleans we have a few more options than you do, but I am still interested in learning about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting. I recently threatened Charter Spectrum with leaving if they didn't lower my bill for internet only service, got them to drop it almost 20.00/month. This would drop it around another 15.00. Looking forward to the review from REWahoo.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have a good coverage with Sprint at my home. Only getting 3G speed.
Anything Sprint is no good for me.

I have the free 200 MB/month data from T-mobile, and I am getting 4G LTE speed.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Initial impressions after getting the 4gCommunity basic plan device and having it up and running for about 30 minutes:

Holy Moly! I haven't seen speeds anywhere near this fast in the almost 20 years I've lived out here in the puckerbush!

My first speed test was 27.2 down, 8.3 up (ping 70) - and that was the slowest speed I've seen!

As expected, the hotspot device isn't the strongest wi-fi router around, but I'm hoping I can locate it centrally so it will work for us.

I have a week to evaluate it and make a keep/return for refund decision but so far I really like what I see.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #10

Congrats! Wish I got Sprint! I'm paying $72 a month for 12mps!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

No cell service at all where I live. Its satellite or nothing at all here.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Initial impressions after getting the 4gCommunity basic plan device and having it up and running for about 30 minutes:

Holy Moly! I haven't seen speeds anywhere near this fast in the almost 20 years I've lived out here in the puckerbush!

My first speed test was 27.2 down, 8.3 up (ping 70) - and that was the slowest speed I've seen!

As expected, the hotspot device isn't the strongest wi-fi router around, but I'm hoping I can locate it centrally so it will work for us.

I have a week to evaluate it and make a keep/return for refund decision but so far I really like what I see.
That's awesome! Thanks for the update
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Should be able to install an extender or two in the house to get better coverage.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Following.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That sounds very hopeful REWahoo!

I'm using ATT DSL and refuse to pay for anything beyond the slowest speed they offer. That's $38/month. It's OK for email, visiting the brokerage site and this forum and similar but bogs down when I try steaming anything. If I get desperate, I use my Verizon 4G phone as a hot spot and get speeds similar to what you're getting with Sprint (which is available with strong signals here). But I don't have an unlimited plan with Verizon, so it's not really a solution.

Will you be able to take the device with you when you're away in the RV? Or is it somehow tied to only your home locality (no roaming)?

Can you leave it up and running 24 X 7?

It sounds like a great deal. Keep us posted.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Will you be able to take the device with you when you're away in the RV? Or is it somehow tied to only your home locality (no roaming)?
No roaming but it should work wherever Sprint has an LTE network - shown here. We will definitely take it on the road when we travel. It certainly doesn't cover all the places we travel in the RV, but it does cover a number of them.

Note that I have the basic plan/hotspot which works only the Sprint LTE Network. You can purchase a premium plan that has LTE, LTE+ and 3G network coverage. I didn't think it was worth the additional $150 since I'll be on the LTE network here at the house 80% of the time.

Quote:
Can you leave it up and running 24 X 7?
Yes, you can even remove the battery and run it directly from the charger to prevent battery damage. FWIW, the premium plan device won't work without the battery, which is another reason I chose the basic plan.

A side note - a couple of hours after I began using it, the thing suddenly went offline. My first thought was "I knew it was too good to be true!" - then I saw the device was updating new software. It came back on line a few minutes later and has worked flawlessly since.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No roaming but it should work wherever Sprint has an LTE network - shown here. We will definitely take it on the road when we travel. It certainly doesn't cover all the places we travel in the RV, but it does cover a number of them.
I visited the web site and checked the coverage map. I'm golden here at home. They allow in network roaming (use of their own network away from home) but not out of network roaming. But Sprint has built their network out along many of the Interstates so you'd likely have coverage during much of your travels. Their rural coverage is a bit lacking. I checked the area in far NW Minn where we go fishing twice a year and nothing there. But I'm mostly looking for an alternate to ATT DSL for here at home that doesn't cost an arm and leg like Comcast. Any away from home use while we're camping/traveling would just be a bonus.
Quote:

Note that I have the basic plan/hotspot which works only the Sprint LTE Network. You can purchase a premium plan that has LTE, LTE+ and 3G network coverage. I didn't think it was worth the additional $150 since I'll be on the LTE network here at the house 80% of the time.
Does the basic hotspot provide for plugging in a computer directly? My desktop has no wifi capability and currently plugs directly into the ATT wireless router.
Quote:

A side note - a couple of hours after I began using it, the thing suddenly went offline. My first thought was "I knew it was too good to be true!" - then I saw the device was updating new software. It came back on line a few minutes later and has worked flawlessly since.
My ATT and Verizon bills are full of added fees and taxes. How about this bill? What did they add to the $250 for the first year in terms of fees and taxes?

I'm optimistic about this. As Rustic23 said, it almost seems too good to be true, at least where folks live with good Sprint 4G coverage.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Does the basic hotspot provide for plugging in a computer directly? My desktop has no wifi capability and currently plugs directly into the ATT wireless router.
The basic service hotspot (Franklin R850) is wireless only. The website says the device that comes with the premium service (ZTE Pocket WiFi Mobile Hotspot) does allow you to plug directly into your computer.

Quote:
My ATT and Verizon bills are full of added fees and taxes. How about this bill? What did they add to the $250 for the first year in terms of fees and taxes?
No added fees or taxes. You pay up front for whatever flavor of service/device you select plus a one-time $15 membership/shipping fee. Then they email you an invoice when your initial service term is up. I paid $265 ($250 + $15) for a one-year basic package. A year from now I should be billed $168 for the next year of service. At least that's what they claim will happen...

On a cautionary note, I left the device running overnight and when I got up this AM I had no internet. My computer and phone had wifi connections to the device and it appeared to be working as advertised, but there was no connection to the internet. Rebooting the device didn't fix the problem - at least not initially. Then after waiting a few minutes, the internet was back.

I'm beginning to suspect there are some quirks and stability issues here...
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Should be able to install an extender or two in the house to get better coverage.
Yes, that is an option but I understand those repeaters cut the speed by half so I'd like to avoid having to use one if possible.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

According to Sprint's map, I'm in a 'fair' coverage zone. Probably a no go for me. I use Verizon's nw for cell and it is good here. Perhaps others will offer plans like this in the future. Would be nice to have options.......