Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone use a VPN service?
Old 08-25-2022, 12:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone use a VPN service?

Almost 2 years ago I was involved with a group online doing research and information gathering for a court case. One of the involved parties was a retired government cyber security researcher, think national labs here. He convinced me of the importance of using a VPN for our work.

Anyway, I signed up for Proton VPN and have generally been happy with it. But in the last few months my financial institutions seem to be locking me out if I try to connect through the VPN. I can understand why Netflix would have a problem with it, though it does not usually lock me out but rather sometimes tells me it knows I am using a VPN.

Has anyone else run into this where your financial institutions (mostly brokerages and mutual fund companies rather than banks) lock you out without explanation from a VPN?

My renewal date is in October and I am questioning whether I should renew. I'm not really paranoid about privacy. Google already knows all my secrets. And I'm not trying to evade regional restrictions on streaming content or anything. It adds a layer of obscurity but I'm not sure I need it. For the court case the argument for it was that we did not want some major tech companies to know what we were researching.

It's not expensive. I would likely renew if not for all the annoying lockouts.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 04:08 AM   #2

I always use a VPN when traveling. I have 3 or 4 different ones installed, so if one isn't working properly I just use a different one. Most of the time whichever one I have turned on is fine.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:49 AM   #3

We use a VPN through our router. I’ve never had a problem accessing our financial institutions. I avoid financial transactions on my phone except for credit cards.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:22 AM   #4

I have used PIA* for several years, I have a buddy that has had it much longer.
I cannot access my bank when it is on.

*Private Internet Access.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:43 AM   #5

I recently installed Malwarebytes Privacy vpn. It has worked well so far and I've run into only a couple of instances where I was prevented from accessing a site. Interestingly, one was the local funeral home so I assume they had an interest in knowing who was looking at their obits.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:03 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Express VPN. This is my first year and have had no issues with is so far.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:13 AM   #7

I use a Cisco VPN from my laptop when travelling or working from home because that's the only way into "the collective".

Don't really see a need for VPN at home, but I use NordVPN when traveling with my personal laptop. I will use my phone for financial transactions when traveling but only when connected to the cellular network.

Cheers
Big-Papa
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:15 AM   #8

I have had the above mentioned problem
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #9

A VPN is only as secure as the host. If you have confidence in your home network, then you probably only need one while traveling, as others have said. I also just run one off my home router, and log into that with a 40-50 character randomized password. I have heard good things about TunnelBear and NordVPN from others whose opinions I respect, if you want/need an outside service. But I wouldn't expect financial institutions to become more lax about allowing access to your accounts from IP addresses outside the country; in fact I would probably switch banks if they did.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my case SSL/TLS is good enough for my needs/concerns.

I might re-consider if I regularly used my PC's from hotels or public hot spots, etc. But SSL/TLS still covers most of my concerns in such an environment.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Good article on why you (probably) don't need a VPN

https://blog.james.cridland.net/why-...n-e7bb35e7d744
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #12

I use SurfShark. It has an app for my phone as well. Both have worked great for me. The only thing that has been glitchy through the Surfshark VPN is using my Amazon Seller account. By "glitchy" I mean it's noticeably slower.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcreek9 View Post
Good article on why you (probably) don't need a VPN

https://blog.james.cridland.net/why-...n-e7bb35e7d744
The article makes some good points, especially about the VPN company having a lot of info on you that random, remote networks (at coffeeshops, airport, hotel room) can't connect up and attribute to a particular user.

However, this paragraph could be rewritten. Here's the original paragraph:

But they’d better be fine, right? When you log into any VPN, you’re using a username/password, and then they could know exactly which websites you’re visiting and who you are. They know your originating IP address and therefore your location. And if you always use them, you’re handing an awful lot of information and trust to the VPN company. Whoever they are.

Now rewrite it but put "your ISP" in place of "VPN", like this:

But they’d better be fine, right? When you log into your ISP you’re using a username/password, and then they could know exactly which websites you’re visiting and who you are. They know your originating IP address and therefore your location. And if you always use them, you’re handing an awful lot of information and trust to your ISP.

There is another entity that can connect your name, password, location, IP address, browsing history and that's your ISP.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #14

I have been playing around with this again recently. Currently I am using the VPN server on my router to allow me into my home network (ie access windows file shares) when I am out and about.

I also explored using the commercial offering of OpenVPN for the server (can't remember if it was Access Server or OpenVPN Cloud), but I think both might allow up to 2 or 3 simultaneous connections without incurring a charge. This may be recognized as a more legitimate service than your current provider (and cheaper), if they meet your needs, in that they are marketed to businesses/enterprises.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #15

I've been a NordVPN user for several years, and I'm pretty happy with it. Not very expensive ($3/month for 24 months, after various discounts and promos), highly rated by independent review sites, and generally works well for all my use cases. Coupled with a good DNS provider (like Cloudflare or OpenDNS), it gives me all the peace of mind I'm looking for when it comes to keeping my web browsing private and secure. I use it anytime I don't want my ISP or WiFi provider (when I'm traveling) to have any visibility into my online activities.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:28 AM   #16

ExpressVPN. Used it when I was overseas and needed a US IP address as well whenever traveling.

Works well though Google is sometimes finnicky. If you do a Google search with the VPN turned on, it sometimes pops up thing saying theyve detected odd usage from this IP address and asks that you an "I'm not a robot" thing.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use PIA every day.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
The article makes some good points, especially about the VPN company having a lot of info on you that random, remote networks (at coffeeshops, airport, hotel room) can't connect up and attribute to a particular user.
All of this is true, but not necessarily accurate. You can check with the VPN about their privacy policy, what they record, and their obligation to share with government agencies. That becomes one of your criteria for selecting the service. Here is Private Internet Access' (PIA) statement from their website:
"We all need privacy, especially online. Your IP address and your browsing should be hidden from unnecessary surveillance. Rest assured that PIA’s virtual private network never keeps any usage logs — ever."

This VPN allows you to select the server to use. So if you have to do financial transactions when travelling you can establish a connection to one of their US-based servers. That said, the bank may reject your login because it is not coming from your usual IP Address.

- Rita
Old 08-26-2022, 12:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
All of this is true, but not necessarily accurate. You can check with the VPN about their privacy policy, what they record, and their obligation to share with government agencies. That becomes one of your criteria for selecting the service. Here is Private Internet Access' (PIA) statement from their website:
"We all need privacy, especially online. Your IP address and your browsing should be hidden from unnecessary surveillance. Rest assured that PIA’s virtual private network never keeps any usage logs — ever."

This VPN allows you to select the server to use. So if you have to do financial transactions when travelling you can establish a connection to one of their US-based servers. That said, the bank may reject your login because it is not coming from your usual IP Address.

- Rita
Proton VPN is based in Switzerland and benefits from strong Swiss privacy laws. They don't keep any kind of logs. But...I mostly use it through US servers that presumably are required to keep logs. Honestly, I'm not hiding from the US Government so I don't really care about that.

And that is just it. I am using US servers in California and Vanguard, TIAA, and others still block me.

I remember a documentary years ago about US surveillance. The CIA/NSA/whatever-three-letter-agency put a "pin register" on the incoming ATT transpacific cables. This allowed them to know who was calling whom from overseas without violating wiretapping laws. This information helped identify the 9/11 terrorists.

Even if a VPN does not keep logs, that does not mean the NSA is not able to trace connections through the telecoms. This is not a concern of mine. I just want to take reasonable precautions against hackers. I don't have anything to fear from the US Government except raising my taxes!

I only access from my laptop but I do it from many networks, some public, so I think VPN is a good idea. But these companie are making it very annoying!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

- Rita
Yep. Good advice. If you are going to get a VPN be sure to check their policies about keeping user logs. You want a VPN that doesn't keep user logs and is based out of a country that has user friendly data protection laws.

My point was that if you're not using a VPN your ISP does know your location and browsing history and likely records it and will give it up or could potentially be hacked for that information. The writer of the article should have mentioned this.