Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone watching History Channel's "Alone" this year?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love the show - can't miss it. They usually have 10 contestants, and the one that can stay the longest in a harsh environment wins $500,000. The contestants (a mix of men and women, all with some survival skills) film their daily activities with camera equipment provided by the show, but no other people from the show are with them, unless the contestant call on the radio to be picked up and sent home. They are in the Arctic this year, and as usual, acquiring enough food seems to be the biggest challenge. At the end of the show the other night, though, it was hinted that one of the contestants may have bagged a moose with his archery equipment (if so, that would be a first). Have to tune in next week to find out for sure. That would obviously be a game changer, if true. Anyway, I was just curious whether anyone else watches the show and enjoys it as I do. Very different than virtually everything else on tv these days.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW is huge fan, we've missed an episode, so not current on the show. Thanks for posting because she needs to clean up what's recording at that time.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Yes, I watch it. Looking forward to seeing the first female winner- this year’s ladies look particularly strong, so maybe.....
I agree, if someone bags a moose, they’ll win. Case closed
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Im a lazy boy chair expert survivalist, gotta say they all seemed to be behind on a winter shelter.
Dude that tapped this week, first impressions was he could make it but when he said he was a city boy and had baggage at home i knew he would not make it, the nekid show people make it longer than he did.
The people with out kids will go further, the one girl i think can do it.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yes, I watch it. Looking forward to seeing the first female winner- this year’s ladies look particularly strong, so maybe.....
I agree, if someone bags a moose, they’ll win. Case closed
I agree that one or two of the women seem mentally prepared for the challenge this year, but of course lack of food will get you eventually, even if you are tough as nails mentally. If the guy does bag the moose, he should win (barring some kind of injury/illness), but it will be interesting to see how he stores the meat to make it last for the duration. Weather should be getting cold enough now (for the most part) to keep it from rotting, but keeping the predators and scavengers away from it is another big issue.

I agree with Ransil that some of the shelters don't look very adequate at this point (including the shelter of the guy who may have shot the moose). If he does end up with the moose, his first order of business (after figuring out what to do with the meat) should be to improve that shelter asap.

Every year, it seems like about 3 or so of the 10 contestants are just totally unprepared for the challenge. Either they miss their family after a week and want to go home, or their survival skills are sorely lacking. And then there are the ones that do something dumb right away and injure themselves. I suppose it's easy for me to criticize, though. I would not stand a chance of doing well on the show, as if I don't eat on a regular basis, I lose weight fast. I'd probably be so weak after about 5 days of not eating much, I'd be ready to tap out..........
Old 06-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We cut the cord last year but before we did the his was one of my favorite shows. I have to mention that bagging a moose would come with complications. Think of scavengers like bears or wolves that want at that food source. I will have to look and see if I can find a way to watch and catch up. Maybe someone will update here so I can hear what is going on.
Audie Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
We cut the cord last year but before we did the his was one of my favorite shows. I have to mention that bagging a moose would come with complications. Think of scavengers like bears or wolves that want at that food source. I will have to look and see if I can find a way to watch and catch up. Maybe someone will update here so I can hear what is going on.
Sure, I'd be happy to update if you want me to do that. Yeah, I had the same thought about keeping the moose meat away from predators and scavengers, but I guess it's a nice problem to have. Speaking of the guy who may have shot a moose (Jordan).........I just checked out the list of items he brought along (everyone is allowed 10 items), and he did not bring a knife! He did bring one of those multi-tools, which has a small ( 3 inch?) knife blade on it, but can you imagine cutting up a moose with one of those? That may take a while........
Old 06-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #8

We love it too. My wife is fascinated in the psychology of the people.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
We cut the cord last year but before we did the his was one of my favorite shows.
We cut the cord too, but the $20/mo I pay Philo lets me keep my Alone fix.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m hooked thanks to this site! Never heard of Alone til I stumbled across this thread. Love it!
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycling View Post
I’m hooked thanks to this site! Never heard of Alone til I stumbled across this thread. Love it!

I've been hooked since the first season. I believe you can watch all the episodes from past seasons if you go to the History Channel's website, click Alone, and then log in through your cable provider (if you have one). Or, there are other ways to watch it also, if you don't have a cable provider (Roku, etc).

Just for info., I believe they are skipping this week (the show would normally air on July 4), and delaying the next episode until July 11 instead. So we have to wait a bit longer to find out if the guy (Jordan) actually did kill a moose with his bow, and if so, how he is going to preserve/protect the meat, etc.. No one has ever killed a big game animal in any of the previous seasons of the show, so this will be a first (if he did get a moose).
Old 07-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I saw this thread, never watched before, but I just started with year 1. Very interesting.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We've never missed it. Alone, Survivor, Naked & Afraid....love them all!!
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
We've never missed it. Alone, Survivor, Naked & Afraid....love them all!!

Okay I’ll admit it. I watched Naked and Afraid a few times. I guess it’s like the car wreck you pass in the highway and can’t help looking at. But I really don’t understand that show so I gave up on it.

The episodes I saw follow the same pattern. Two naked people, one man and one woman, live in some remote location getting eating eaten alive by every kind of insect imaginable while looking for water. 21 days later they are picked up.

No thanks...
Old 07-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Okay I’ll admit it. I watched Naked and Afraid a few times. I guess it’s like the car wreck you pass in the highway and can’t help looking at. But I really don’t understand that show so I gave up on it.

The episodes I saw follow the same pattern. Two naked people, one man and one woman, live in some remote location getting eating eaten alive by every kind of insect imaginable while looking for water. 21 days later they are picked up.

No thanks...
its fun to watch cause its them and not me
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No thanks...
But the PSR!!!!!

Sorry, DW is a NAA fan, there always an episode to watch.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #17

I do not understand the N&A show. What is the point? Nobody with any brain would go out naked, it's not reality. Other shows where survival skills are highlighted I can understand.
I guess that's why there is a channel changer, I can watch what I want to.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
But the PSR!!!!!

Sorry, DW is a NAA fan, there always an episode to watch.

I’m apparently acronym challenged... what is PSR?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I’m apparently acronym challenged... what is PSR?
Primitive survival rating. This link apparently offers a test to rate yourself but it doesn't appear properly on my cell phone. If there's naked people don't blame me.[emoji23]

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/psr/
Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We love it. One of the few shows we will take time to watch these days.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote