Apple Vision Pro

tulak

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Vision Pro is Apple's first mixed-reality device, showing passthrough video of a wearer's eyes. The device features an all-new operating system that features a three dimensional interface. Experiences in Vision Pro aren't constrained to the boundaries of a display, users can make apps any scale, and place apps wherever they wish. Environments extend beyond your physical space, and control how immersed you are by turning the digital crown. Apple says that it marks the beginning of "spatial computing."

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/05/apple-reveals-vision-pro-headset/

The approach is interesting, where it's a combo of AR and VR. It could be cool experience, especially if it's not (too) pixelated.

It'll be interesting to read the reviews. I suspect it won't be cheap.

It’s just for developers now. I’m sure this will be a long road.

Edited to add: apparently not just for developers. But regardless just the start of a long product cycle.

Last edited:
I'd be down for trying this out but I hope that there's a lighter AR heavier model in the future that I could wear outside. It would be really cool when traveling: feeding me extra info about things I look at (in museums for examples or architectural landmarks), pulling up maps and transit info, taking pictures or videos etc.

I'm less interested in immersing myself into Matrix like virtual worlds but I probably would enjoy watching an occasional 3D movie on this thing.

Yep, available early next year starting at $3,499.

Feels like they rushed announcing it. Usually Apple doesn't make you wait more than a few months for a new product.

Yep, available early next year starting at $3,499.

Feels like they rushed announcing it. Usually Apple doesn't make you wait more than a few months for a new product.
Well they need the time to get developers on board.

My understanding is that this first expensive model is to work the kinks out of it, and then there will be a more affordable version (although without all the features the expensive one has).

My understanding is that this first expensive model is to work the kinks out of it, and then there will be a more affordable version (although without all the features the expensive one has).

I’m skeptical they’ll reduce hardware/features for the pro model.

I suspect they’ll have a non-pro version at some point that’ll be cheaper and have less features.

I’m skeptical they’ll reduce hardware/features for the pro model.

I suspect they’ll have a non-pro version at some point that’ll be cheaper and have less features.

Yes, that's what I meant.

It’s definitely going to be interesting to see how this evolves in the coming years and if consumers embrace it. The keynote presentation sure makes it all seem wonderful. If 3rd party developers embrace it and prices fall, it might become pretty relevant. Time will tell.

I was just looking for the "blow that dough" thread to mention this when I saw this thread. I would not even think about buying this but for those who have more money than they know what to do with this is a good way to "blow that dough". Crazy expensive for something that is in no way needed IMO but spend it if you have it, I guess.

Cost aside, I cannot imagine talking to someone wearing this, regardless how nice they make your eyes look. 50/50 chance this is the new google glass.

Wasn't something similar tried, ala Google Glass?

_B

Cost aside, I cannot imagine talking to someone wearing this, regardless how nice they make your eyes look. 50/50 chance this is the new google glass.

Apple fans are like a cult. If certain people endorse it it could sell millions. If it becomes trendy then it will sell to almost everyone who currently has a late model iPhone even if they can't reasonably afford it.

Wasn't something similar tried, ala Google Glass?

_B

Some of these things are done before but Apple often figures out how to do them right and well integrated. We’ll be waiting for a few generations I expect.

As a rule of thumb, I don’t buy version 1 of any device.

I did on the Apple Watch (version 0) and the iPad (although I waited for the version with cell data but it still had the same version 0). Those both worked out very well but I don’t usually buy the first release.

Not sure how two 4K displays would ever appear pixelated.....?

I’d agree, but I’d want to see it in person.

Theoretically, you could replace a monitor with the headset, but would it work as well?

I suspect for entertainment, it’ll work well, but how comfortable is the headset? Is this something that we’ll forget we’re wearing or will we be happy to take it off after watching?

It’ll be interesting to see how well this plays out.

It was smart for them to focus on augmenting reality and the presentation they put together is impressive. Switching between augmented and virtual with the digital crown is sleek, not to mention controlling with eye and hand gestures.

And this is a v1 product. Look back at the original iPhone and you’ll see we’ve come a long way. Hopefully it does well enough that we’ll get future versions.

I bought the Facebook version of this, the Oculus 2. After the novelty wore off, it's just sat on the shelf.

I did on the Apple Watch (version 0) and the iPad (although I waited for the version with cell data but it still had the same version 0). Those both worked out very well but I don’t usually buy the first release.

I broke down and bought version eight of the Apple Sauce Watch. Only because of the fall notification built into it and a good deal from Costco.

Maybe, but one thing I've learned since the first Apple share I bought in 1987 or 88 is that every time the analysts start to gang up on Apple, predicting its imminent demise, and its share price falls precipitously, that's when you want to back up the truck and buy it.

My personal experience as a former consultant is that they employ the smartest people around, and have a good culture of protecting their secrets. Don't ever underestimate them.

There are reviews coming out from reporters/reviewers that had a chance to try the Apple Vision Pro. No videos of using the device, so all of them are descriptions based on their experiences.

One of my favorite tech youtubers is MKBHD who recorded his impressions with the device: https://youtu.be/OFvXuyITwBI.

There are reviews coming out from reporters/reviewers that had a chance to try the Apple Vision Pro. No videos of using the device, so all of them are descriptions based on their experiences.

One of my favorite tech youtubers is MKBHD who recorded his impressions with the device: https://youtu.be/OFvXuyITwBI.

I just watched it. And I'm glad I have all that Apple stock that I do. As he said in the review: "it's not the product for the masses" but judging from just his description of it - never mind impressions - it seems like the future of computing.

I think that down the road people will opt for integrating computer chips with their brains but that's a few years ahead of us. This will do as the first step.

A lot of tech journalists seem to be making a basic mistake, trying to compare it to Oculus and other VR headsets. That's not what it's for. I mean, Apple actually spelled it out:

Spatial Computing.

Yes, like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. It is an OS just like iPadOS and WatchOS - it will have the full suite of Apple apps, as well as (eventually) any other app that can be ported to or created for it. Its primary function is doing things with apps. Office apps, creative apps, entertainment apps, communication apps. Yes, someone will probably make an app where you can be in a shared virtual space with others, one of the standard goals of VR. But that's just a sideshow for VisionPro.

All those things can be done on other devices, but now you can do them without being tied down to a desk and without having your hands full of something, and without being limited to a measly 60" screen on your wall.

Back
Top Bottom