Apple's New Product announcements 9-14-21

Cars I’ll drive forever

Cars yes... Must have the latest, greatest and quickest... Just bought a new 90k+ pickup.. I like the new technology in the cars but I'm really after the most power...

Does everyone else (anyone else) want to run out and buy the newest version of iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and iPhone like I do?
Computers and smartphones - No....

I love being the contrarian around here... I guess maybe I had my fill of the latest and greatest high tech toys when I worked in IT back in the day...

6 to 8 year old smartphone models are okay with me... My last iphone lasted 6+ years... The battery wasn't holding a charge like it should and I couldn't run one or two apps due to end of life IOS... So I upgraded to a refurbished gen 1 iPhone SE (5 year old model) Does everything I want...

Last edited:
Is anyone with T-Mobile looking to upgrade their IPhone? I can’t make any sense of the promotions they are offering. It looks like they are offering a substantial incentive to buy an Iphone 13 and switch to their Magenta Max plan, which I don’t need. But it looks like there may be some promotion even if I stay on their 55+ plan. But I can’t figure out if they want me to buy the phone through Apple or through T-Mobile, and I don’t understand how to obtain the credits.

I can call them but if anyone else has figured it out that would save me a lot of time. I imagine they are quite busy right now.

I have an older iPad Pro that is still working very well. Especially since I just use it to surf and play some basic games like video poker. I have the iPhone 12mini and I’m very happy with that so no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I do have my eye on the new iMac with the M1 chip but I’m holding out for a bit to see if the come out with a bigger screen.

I'll be getting a 13 mini to replace my 4-year-old 8. I like the smaller form factor and rumor has it that they won't be making a 14 mini because the demand isn't there, so no reason to wait. What pushed my "probably" to "definite" is the standard 128gb - I'm lazy about deleting photos and videos so I'm frequently bumping up against the 64gb in my current phone. As I have a trip planned at the end of the month, I think I'll wait until I get home to buy the new one.

We don't need any new devices this year but iOS 15 looks like a winner.

Just checked out the list of new features in iOS 15, and it's finally getting the ability to selectively allow notifications from apps and people when "Do Not Disturb" mode is active. Awesome! I have been wanting this feature for years. Can't believe it took this long, but better late than never. I think Android has had this ability for a long time.

The most interesting announcement was ios 15, looking forward to several of the new features in the new system upgrade, and the best of all it is free.
+2, me too!

Thanks a lot, you all! I wasn't even paying attention to any of the new products and, after reading through all of this, I am going to order an iPhone 13 pro. My iPhone 7 is slowing down and all the new camera features look like a lot of fun. It will still fit in my hip pocket.

I have a part time gig doing cat sitting and I am enjoying trying to get really good pictures for the absent cat owners. Lighting can be an issue if the cat is hiding under the bed and my current phone is not great at catching action shots.

I have 2 years' worth of budgeted travel money unspent and it looks like it will be another year before I am willing to take a trip that costs a significant amount. So BTD!

If they ever get an Apple Watch that can track BP, then I’ll upgrade immediately. As for the phone, I always appreciate a better camera. Saves me lots of money and hassle over getting a separate camera.

I have not worn a watch since I retired. No need for one. I do not even have a clock by the bed ..... anymore.

I have not worn a watch since I retired. No need for one. I do not even have a clock by the bed ..... anymore.

I never wore a watch until an Apple Watch. I don’t particular care for watches, but the tech benefits with the Apple Watch make it worth it.

Like the iPhone, it’s kinda misnamed. I don’t have a Watch for telling time, much like I don’t have an iPhone for phone calls.

I never wore a watch until an Apple Watch. I don’t particular care for watches, but the tech benefits with the Apple Watch make it worth it.

Like the iPhone, it’s kinda misnamed. I don’t have a Watch for telling time, much like I don’t have an iPhone for phone calls.

For me, I haven’t worn any of my other watches (or rarely have) since getting an Apple Watch years ago.
I have a pretty extensive watch collection including both reasonably priced Citizens and Invictas up to Tags, Tissot and a Rolex.
I’ll wear them occasionally for going to weddings etc, but we haven’t done much of that the past couple of years either.

That's Apple's specialty, every since they came out with the first iPod. They make things you never thought you needed and show you that you actually did need them. They are incredibly good at it, which is why they're the world's most valuable company.

I've known a few Apple software engineers and they all had brains dripping out their ears they were so smart.

Just checked out the list of new features in iOS 15, and it's finally getting the ability to selectively allow notifications from apps and people when "Do Not Disturb" mode is active. Awesome! I have been wanting this feature for years. Can't believe it took this long, but better late than never. I think Android has had this ability for a long time.

Yes, Android has had this feature for a long time.

In fact, there is a whole list of features that Apple has been a bit late to the party.

My Motorola G7+ has this feature, and I have family marked so they ring through. I just turn it upside down and it's on do not disturb.
Typing this on my Macbook....

For the last few years we bought a new iPhone each year using the upgrade program. However, we decided a few months ago not to do it this year. Had there been something amazing in the presentation this year we could have changed our mind. However, nothing amazing.

Currently we have the 12 Pro Max and are happy with it. When there is some major upgrade we will upgrade it. Maybe next year, maybe after that.

Last year I got a new Apple Watch 6 (replacing a 4). This year, again, is not compelling enough to cause me to upgrade.

Bingo!

I ordered the Iphone 13 Pro Max today. I was able to order it at 5am so I got a confirmed delivery for next Friday. I’m replacing a 2 year old 11 Pro Max. I can’t say there is any feature that is an absolute must have for me with the Iphone 13. But I’ll just throw this in the BTD category. We have spent so little on anything else since COVID began that I just wanted to buy something. I’ll get the new watch at some point when it starts shipping too.

I’m totally in the Apple ecosphere and I have to say it’s so much better than when I was in the PC/Android world. No where near the issues.

That said however I don’t chase after the latest doo-dads from any company including Apple. I do get a new phone every couple of years as a part of my plan, but beyond that my iPad is probably 6 years old and my MacBook Pro is about 9 years old. I’ve upgraded it twice and it still runs like a champ.

I don’t foresee myself getting any new Apple anything for a while, unless my MacBook finally gives up the ghost, but at this point that seems unlikely. The new RAM and the SSD have made a humongous difference in performance and as I said it’s running like a champ!

We are Apple fans here.
I just got the SE 2nd generation, DH has last years 13.
My laptop is a 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro, probably needs a new battery as it needs charging almost 1-2 x daily. I would just get a new battery, but DH is talking new laptop or desk top......We'll see who wins out on that! :)

I’m not a fanboy, by any means, but the simple fact is that the alternatives make me shudder. I use my AAPL devices all the time, for years, so I have no problem upgrading when the value of a particular generation becomes compelling. No doubt they’re expensive but I have more money than time at this point so have no compunctions about an occasional fancy meal or gadget. My 4YO Series 3 watch feels like it needs an upgrade….

I replace Apple laptops every 10-12 years Widows machines every 5.

IPads every 8 yeas or 5 depending upon who gets my old one. Usually wide will take my older model.

Phones seem to upgrade every 4 years now as fo the Apple Watch. Unless there is some must have new feature. If they could monitor blood sugar even by displaying from a espérate sensor I would buy it tomorrow

So who else watched or otherwise heard about Apple's new product announcement presentation today? Their multi-media presentations are as slick as their products!
Does everyone else (anyone else) want to run out and buy the newest version of iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and iPhone like I do? Does being retired impact your frequency of upgrading to the latest and greatest of their products?

Here is the link to the full presentation. Its long, over an hour but it very slick!

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2021/?cid=CDM-USA-DM-P0021399-484205

Which product is at the top of your list to upgrade or purchase?
I'm on the iPhone 11 Pro and my Apple Care is running out, so I think I am due for an iPhone 13 Pro. With the trade-in credit of $700 it will only cost me $300.

what I really miss is the much better cameras on the iPhone Pro. The iPhone 13 Pro has a 3X zoom, a regular lens, and a ultra wide, plus the other nice things like night vision mode, lidar ranging (amazing in low light), boca. The 13 Pro is really the pinnacle of computational photography..

I’ve had my Apple products for awhile; my iPhone 5SE is from 2014. But I was impressed by the camera lenses on the 13 Pro, so I have this on preorder.

Yes, Android has had this feature for a long time.

In fact, there is a whole list of features that Apple has been a bit late to the party.

I’m not sure about apps, but pretty sure I’ve had contacts set up who can break through the DnD for a long time. Several years I think?

I’m not sure about apps, but pretty sure I’ve had contacts set up who can break through the DnD for a long time. Several years I think?

Yes, I’ve had this set up for emergencies for years. My favorites ring through Do Not Disturb. Set it up when DF was ill.

I have been nursing my 7+ but it's giving me fits. My plan was to get a 12 when the 13's came out because of the price drop, but now I think it is just time to BTD on a 13 Pro Max. I would definitely enjoy the better camera and battery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom