Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #101
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. We’re more excited about this one, DW is overdue for a MacBook, still stuck with an old Dell WinPC (good riddance). I bought an M1 iMac a couple months ago.
I am waiting to see when there will be an M1X or M2 iMac. Might happen next year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am waiting to see when there will be an M1X or M2 iMac. Might happen next year.
Same here. Hoping for a 27 or larger screen.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I predict the current 27” IMac will be replaced with a 31” or 32” IMac with an M1X processor.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I predict the current 27” IMac will be replaced with a 31” or 32” IMac with an M1X processor.
My personal prediction is that the iMac line will be simplified: just the iMac and the iMac Pro.

The iMac will have the “small” screen and the “baseline" processor.

The iMac Pro will have the “big” screen and the “Pro” processor.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The online experts have been predicting 30” or 32” for a long time. And M1X vs M2 is simply naming as Apple chooses, no defined meaning.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The online experts have been predicting 30” or 32” for a long time. And M1X vs M2 is simply naming as Apple chooses, no defined meaning.
Though I'd be happy if they said M1X or M2 is x% faster on CPU and y% faster on GPU where x and why are at least 50.

Also they're expected to go beyond 16 GB of RAM on the M1.

But that would probably mean at least $2000 for the 16 inch, easily going up over $3000 if you choose more RAM and larger SSD storage.

Would be great if they're able to get the weight below 4.3 pounds of the current 16-inch MBP.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #107

Quote:
Yes the naming is arbitrary, but there is a question as to generation of the processor cores.

The M1 uses the same processor technology as last years iPhone (A14). Since then the new iPhone is using the A15.

Most prognosticators are expecting the new Macs to be based on the A14 core technology - with many more cores being used and other improvements.

A few are suggesting that Apple might use the A15 core as the base in the new Macs.

Either way, the performance should be spectacular.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. We’re more excited about this one, DW is overdue for a MacBook, still stuck with an old Dell WinPC (good riddance). I bought an M1 iMac a couple months ago.
You have definitely been assimilated! LOL!
Old 10-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #109

So the new MacBook Pros are certainly impressive, but they are quite expensive. Starting at $1999 for the basic 14” model they can easily approach $4K+ for the upgraded models. My friend ordered a 16” MBP with 64GB and the ProMax CPU for $4,700 today. But he uses it for video production so it’s a good purchase for him.

I’d like to upgrade my MacBook Air but I’m not ready to spend $2K+ yet. I’ll have to think about this one for a bit.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So the new MacBook Pros are certainly impressive, but they are quite expensive. Starting at $1999 for the basic 14” model they can easily approach $4K+ for the upgraded models. My friend ordered a 16” MBP with 64GB and the ProMax CPU for $4,700 today. But he uses it for video production so it’s a good purchase for him.

I’d like to upgrade my MacBook Air but I’m not ready to spend $2K+ yet. I’ll have to think about this one for a bit.
I think these new Pro models are really oriented at folks doing software development or video production. They’d be massive overkill for the average consumer.

If you’re generally happy with your MacBook Air, a new one with the M1 chip would probably fit the bill for less than $2K.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I immediately got over my interest in Macs when I bought a chromebook. Kept the Apple stock though.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I think these new Pro models are really oriented at folks doing software development or video production. They’d be massive overkill for the average consumer.

If you’re generally happy with your MacBook Air, a new one with the M1 chip would probably fit the bill for less than $2K.

True but it's not only ER members who want to BTD.

People will choose one of these for the larger screens over the MacBook Air, which is perfectly fine for browsing, watching movies, etc.

I was going to order one right away but I think I will try to check them out in person, to see if the 14-inch would be okay.

It's over 1 pound lighter than the 16-inch.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
True but it's not only ER members who want to BTD.

People will choose one of these for the larger screens over the MacBook Air, which is perfectly fine for browsing, watching movies, etc.

I was going to order one right away but I think I will try to check them out in person, to see if the 14-inch would be okay.

It's over 1 pound lighter than the 16-inch.
Oh, absolutely. It’s probable that we’ll end up with a 16” model in the next year or two. Given the performance, it may continue to be a viable laptop for a decade or more (DW’s beloved 2010 17” MacBook Pro is still her primary machine thanks to an upgrade to SSD).
Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post

I have a MacBook Air with the M1 chip now. For the most part it’s great. But it only has 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. I bought it before I began recording videos on my drone.

When I try to use IMovie to work with multiple 4K video files the system really bogs down. It’s useable, but not ideal. And with only 256GB on the SSD I have to keep all my raw drone videos on a separate SSD connected via USB-C, which then only leaves me one remaining USB C port for power, SD cards, and Time Machine backups. I can live with it, but it’s not an ideal configuration. I just haven’t decided whether I want to spend $2K+ to remedy the situation.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #115

My 2013 MBP is needing replacing, bad battery, speakers don't work, trackpad getting wonky. I probably don't need a new 14", I'm really hoping the price on a 13" M1 with 512Gb HD will drop some.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:28 AM   #116

So excited to share my new purchase from the Apple Store last night! Yes, that's right. My iPhone8 is rocking a new battery! Whoo, hoo! Here's to another 4 years (please keep supporting the 8 Apple!) At the time my phone won't meet my needs I will likely buy the most recent model and hope it lasts a long time.

The Apple Store was pretty packed and busy the whole time I was there... which was too long. 4:30 appointment, they had my phone and told me 5:10, finally got my phone back at 6:05. Not happy being trapped an extra hour.

A bit more to the thread, it is interesting how many people are so excited about the product enhancements (and they are likely upgrading from much higher phones than me). I doubt many really utilize the new features and think a lot is the "luxury brand" I have the latest and greatest bragging. As I was waiting, there was a woman buying an upgraded iPad (close to where I was waiting so I picked up on quite a bit). When it came to pay, she stated she couldn't pay it all right now and asked about monthly payments.... sad. Keep your old one longer. I don't know what the resolution was but it looked like Apple was likely to get her money (well, money she borrowed I'm sure) before she left.

I walked the mall a few times while waiting and was not even the slightest bit tempted by any of the wares.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
My iPhone8 is rocking a new battery! Whoo, hoo! Here's to another 4 years (please keep supporting the 8 Apple!) At the time my phone won't meet my needs I will likely buy the most recent model and hope it lasts a long time.
I agree that a new battery is a great way to extend the life of an iPhone, and an often overlooked option.

That said, I think it's likely that the current iOS 15 will be the last one the 8 will be able to handle. That's not really a problem; you just might not be able to take advantage of some of the new features we don't even know about yet.

One thing I've learned is that when making an appointment for a battery replacement the timing is critical. When I did it a couple of months ago I got the first appointment of the day and I was in and out in less than an hour.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:47 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I agree that a new battery is a great way to extend the life of an iPhone, and an often overlooked option.

That said, I think it's likely that the current iOS 15 will be the last one the 8 will be able to handle. That's not really a problem; you just might not be able to take advantage of some of the new features we don't even know about yet.

One thing I've learned is that when making an appointment for a battery replacement the timing is critical. When I did it a couple of months ago I got the first appointment of the day and I was in and out in less than an hour.

I'm sure it won't be too much longer but hoping it will last a few more years since it's still being sold new. Looks like many tech bloggers think through iOS16/at least through 2022. I don't know if the fight for right to repair will bleed into planned obsolescence so that may encourage Apple to keep supporting a bit longer... I think there are a lot of iPhone8's in use still and I suspect that they consider the number (both as potential market for new sales and as angry complaining customers).

The issue for me will come when apps I use need the newer IOS.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

DW bought a new 16” MacBook Pro, so with my M1 iMac, our iPhone 12’s, our iPad Air 4’s, iCloud and Apple TV+ - were fully in the ecosystem. The way they work together is wonderful, superior to mixing systems. I don’t miss our Win devices one bit, after a lifetime with them.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote