Join Early Retirement Today

Are all iPhone cables terrible?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are all iPhone cables terrible?

I've had the worst luck with iPhone cables especially using Apple Carplay it works until I move the phone, any good suggestions from Amazon?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #2

You may have to clean the charging port on the iPhone. Mine fills up with lint because I carry my phone in my pocket. I simply unfold a paper clip and scrape the inside of the charging port with the end of the clip. I’m always surprised how much lint comes out of it. Then it works like new again.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We purchased this one Dec 2019 and they all still work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YHVWMS4
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
You may have to clean the charging port on the iPhone. Mine fills up with lint because I carry my phone in my pocket. I simply unfold a paper clip and scrape the inside of the charging port with the end of the clip. Iím always surprised how much lint comes out of it. Then it works like new again.
Thanks for the reminder. I do this from time to time but haven't lately. I just did and got a ton of fuzz out of there.

OP, definitely try that and see if it helps. I've never had a problem with the cords otherwise.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #5

I think I'd get a can of that compressed air and blow it out with that rather than using a paperclip.

As for cables, I've not had any issues with the Apple cables. I've had some issues with non-Apple cables, but they were cables that came with cheap charging blocks. If I need a cable and don't want to get it from Apple, I buy cables from Anker. I did have an issue with one of their wireless chargers, but their customer service was very good. They couldn't solve the issue, but seemed genuinely perplexed. They had me send the unit back, sent me a replacement, it did the same thing and they refunded my money. Never once did they do anything but try to fix the issue to my satisfaction.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I now avoid the generic straight-from-China cables and usually go with Anker brand. High quality and no problems.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I now avoid the generic straight-from-China cables and usually go with Anker brand. High quality and no problems.

Second the recommendation on Anker. Solid iPhone charging cables. Have used them for years.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you buy knock offs, Apple kills them every so often with updates.

The original equipment cables and adapters work best, but they are $$$.

It is frustrating. I've tried a few knock offs and they work for a while. The AC ends are also finicky. Some work but charge very slow. It is very hard to tell knock offs from the real ones too.

You are not alone. The iPhone 12 didn't even come with the AC wall adapter now. Doh.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think I'd get a can of that compressed air and blow it out with that rather than using a paperclip.
Not an Apple guy here, instead I have Android Moto. Moto phones have settled on USB-C. After 3 years, my charging got wonky.

Then I read this thread and have a Eureka moment!

The port had lint and dirt in there. I whittled down a wood toothpick (non-metalic, I don't recommend a paper clip), dislodge the dirt, and then hit it with canned duster.

Like new! Smart ER people come to the rescue again.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #10

For disclosure, I've been using a paper clip for years without any issue. YMMV.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

To be fair, I think all Apple cables are terrible. It is all cheap stuff that appear to be unique but at the end of the day, the cable just doesn't last as long as the competitors.
I have a IBM power cable from 1995 and the thing was definitely abused but it works like new. My 2019 MacBook pro power cable turned yellow and the cable's rubbery skin started to peel off. Maybe I should say it just broke down in little pieces revealing the twisted metal hair shielding. Just check online with keywords like magsafe cable fraying and you will find tons of complaints.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
To be fair, I think all Apple cables are terrible. It is all cheap stuff that appear to be unique but at the end of the day, the cable just doesn't last as long as the competitors.
To be even more fair, in 30 years of using Apple products I've never had one of their cables fail. Many generic cables have failed on me.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
To be even more fair, in 30 years of using Apple products I've never had one of their cables fail. Many generic cables have failed on me.
Thatís my experience as well. Not that many years, but still quite a few. OTOH, the cables Iíve ordered from Amazon Basics have had a high failure rate and some have broken connectors.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Several years ago I went through a period where I tested USB cables specifically for charging. (USB multimeter and dummy load.) Many had cheaped out with gossamer thin copper wires that could not support a 2 amp charging current. I also tested chargers and found many that didn't meet their specs.

Monoprice had some cables that were adequate (marked 28/24 AWG), but Anker's cables and chargers consistently performed well so I have standardized on them and don't bother to test any more. I buy their "Powerline" cables, which I see are also available for iThings.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
As for cables, I've not had any issues with the Apple cables. I've had some issues with non-Apple cables, but they were cables that came with cheap charging blocks. If I need a cable and don't want to get it from Apple, I buy cables from Anker.
We've had 4 iPhones and 5 iPads, and never had a single issue with the Apple cables supplied, used them almost daily? I've used them to charge (of course), sync with my PC, and plug into several cars to play music or with CarPlay - not a single issue ever.

I am aware that some aftermarket cables are equivalents, and others definitely not. I couldn't tell which the OP was asking about...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I do this from time to time but haven't lately. I just did and got a ton of fuzz out of there.

OP, definitely try that and see if it helps. I've never had a problem with the cords otherwise.

I thought that was a wonky suggestion to use a paperclip but I did that and compressed air and what do you know.... it works!

Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bought a package of six cheap cables. All of them failed within four months, some in only two moths. Not only were they expensive given their short lifespan, they were one of those waste of resources that I find objectionable.

Ever since I read the book Cheap! The High Cost of Discount Culture which is about low-cost stuff that doesn't last long and its financial and environmental impact, I have been careful to avoid things like the above cables.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I bought a package of six cheap cables. All of them failed within four months, some in only two moths.
Only took two moths to eat those cheap cables. Must have had wool insulation. Cheap!

Just pulling your leg, Chuckanut. Your point about e-waste is important. We are generating incredible amounts of it for no reason except for some factory to make a few cents on a piece that they can rinse and repeat on.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

39 months ago I switched from Apple+Verizon, to LG(Android)+Cricket. I haven't had even one single complaint about anything since then. My Amazon Basics cables are fine although one has lost a little insulation near the connector. It still works perfectly, though!

Of course it has only been 3 years! Maybe next year everything will fall apart.

P.S. - - so far during those 39 months my savings going from Verizon to Cricket have added up to >$1,222, assuming that Verizon hasn't raised its prices at all. But, this observation about my savings belong on some other thread so I'll shut up now....
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I canít speak to iPhone cables, but I have had bad luck with genuine Apple iPad cables. I havenít tried generic cables from Amazon, etc.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote