Join Early Retirement Today

Are your live local channels (incl major networks) on streaming TV service yet?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are your live local channels (incl major networks) on streaming TV service yet?

For those who are tired of cable or satellite contracts and high monthly costs for packages cluttered with networks you’ll never watch, streaming TV is a much less expensive option. However, access to live local channels like ABC, CBC, Fox, NBC and others aren’t available everywhere unless you want to use an OTA (over the air antenna) which requires changing TV input sources and/or multiple remotes. In my household, DW wasn’t willing to futz with multiple remotes and changing inputs.

Fortunately, the big streaming TV services, Sling, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live and YouTube TV, now provide live and/or on demand access to live local major networks in major cities. There’s a nifty chart in the article linked below as of Aug 2017 - but they’re adding more all the time.

PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV include cloud DVR and it’s an additional charge or coming soon with the other three services.

Sling TV starts at $20/mo but it only allows 1 stream and no local channels. For $35-50/mo there are others that allow 3-5 simultaneous streams and cloud DVR to watch on any TV in your house, or smartphones, tablets, desktops/laptops. We use PlayStation Vue which allows 5 streams, cloud DVR and all the live local/major channels for $45/mo and no contract - cable or satellite on 5 TV’s would be closer to triple the cost with a contract.

So there are full drop in replacements for cable and satellite now in more and more cities at far lower costs. You’ll need an internet connection of at least 10 Mbps, or 25 Mbps or more if you’re streaming 4K or lots or more than 2 simultaneous streams.

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-your-l...v-service-yet/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're using PSV but unfortunately local channels are not available here. I hate the switching back and forth to watch news or live network shows but this device might be the answer....we'll see.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
. However, access to live local channels like ABC, CBC, Fox, NBC and others aren’t available everywhere unless you want to use an OTA (over the air antenna) which requires changing TV input sources and/or multiple remotes. In my household, DW wasn’t willing to futz with multiple remotes and changing inputs.
Get a universal remote? It does all the changing inputs for you.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Only one on PSV. But I watch all my locals via antenna. I use the Sideclick remote which basically combines all into one. Changing from Vue to local channel mode is just a couple of clicks which is no big deal to me.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You tube tv, does not use a remote, it operates off of google chromecast and you must use a tablet or smartphone to control the channels, kind of a pain IMO...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We recently dropped cable and are using directv now. Have local fox, nbc, and abc on it. Pay separate for cbs. Like the price and more than enough channels. Roku software is better than the software that came with our tv.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't really know, but I don't think they are streamable. Not a problem with my setup; I just turn on the TV with my remote and there they are.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
We recently dropped cable and are using directv now. Have local fox, nbc, and abc on it. Pay separate for cbs. Like the price and more than enough channels. Roku software is better than the software that came with our tv.
This shows the importance of checking what’s offered at your address.

Near Chicago where we are DirecTV Now only offers ABC, NBC and Fox on demand (after it airs), no live programming - only CBS is live and on demand. PS Vue gives us all four major networks live and on demand.

However, eventually all programming may be on demand and “live” won’t mean anything anymore. Some of the most popular original programming today is already on demand only (e.g. Netflix, Amazon and other series). “Asynchronous television,” something Bill Gates predicted in 1995...

Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You tube tv, does not use a remote, it operates off of google chromecast and you must use a tablet or smartphone to control the channels, kind of a pain IMO...
That’s what took YouTube TV out of the running for us, despite a good channel lineup, good price, and best cloud DVR. It’s reported that your smartphone or tablet may overheat if you watch movies or binge watch TV. And it only works with Chromecast if you want it on a TV.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Only streaming I do is Amazon and Sling tv during baseball playoffs if the Cubbies have a good year.

I do use OTA. What I do use a manual switch. Two HDMI inputs. One for my dvr that is connrcted to my OTA dvr. The other to my Fire Tv streamer. The output HDMIof the switch goes to my TV.

I don't find switching back and forth too inconvenient as I only use the streaming occasionally.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Only streaming I do is Amazon and Sling tv during baseball playoffs if the Cubbies have a good year.

I do use OTA. What I do use a manual switch. Two HDMI inputs. One for my dvr that is connrcted to my OTA dvr. The other to my Fire Tv streamer. The output HDMIof the switch goes to my TV.

I don't find switching back and forth too inconvenient as I only use the streaming occasionally.
I don’t mind switching input/sources, devices, apps, etc. but DW = . Her “irritation” with high and increasing cable and satellite TV prices landed on me. The PS Vue interface essentially looks and works just like cable or satellite, so she’s OK with that. I’ve learned to pick my battles after 38 years..

Old 01-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
We're using PSV but unfortunately local channels are not available here. I hate the switching back and forth to watch news or live network shows but this device might be the answer....we'll see.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm
Thank's for the link! It looks very interesting. Interesting enough that I've placed an order for one

I'm a long time cable cutter and have relied upon a PC-TV card with win 7 media center DVR recording. This looks like a nice alternative with its OTA-DVR capabilities (and subscription-free TV guide).
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don’t mind switching input/sources, devices, apps, etc. but DW = . Her “irritation” with high and increasing cable and satellite TV prices landed on me. The PS Vue interface essentially looks and works just like cable or satellite, so she’s OK with that. I’ve learned to pick my battles after 38 years..
Looks like you made a wise choice. Happy wife = happy life.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If I had a Roku Ultra how would we watch some of the Olympics? Particularly the ice skating which DW cannot live without.

We have cable right now and DW asks me such questions. Have to report back to the boss.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
...There’s a nifty chart in the article linked below as of Aug 2017 - but they’re adding more all the time...

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-your-l...v-service-yet/
The spreadsheet in that link looks like it has not been updated in a while. Here's a more updated chart.

We use PS Vue. We get all the majors in our market except PBS. Evidently nobody has a deal with PBS. Does anybody know the story on that? Is something in the works? Or is PBS just not going to play nice with the streaming services? The PBS app works OK and we have the Passport. But it still doesn't offer all the same content that is aired by our local affiliate.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
The spreadsheet in that link looks like it has not been updated in a while. Here's a more updated chart.

We use PS Vue. We get all the majors in our market except PBS. Evidently nobody has a deal with PBS. Does anybody know the story on that? Is something in the works? Or is PBS just not going to play nice with the streaming services? The PBS app works OK and we have the Passport. But it still doesn't offer all the same content that is aired by our local affiliate.
Wow, I wonder if that is the same on the Roku Ultra? What do you miss from PBS on streaming? I could definitely do without Antiques Road Show.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Wow, I wonder if that is the same on the Roku Ultra? What do you miss from PBS on streaming? I could definitely do without Antiques Road Show.
DW likes the British comedies on Sunday night. And we both like the Saturday afternoon line-up... cooking shows like Rick Bayless' One Plate at a Time, Simply Ming, Lydia's Kitchen. Plus lots of other gardening shows, home improvement, and travel shows. None of it is available via the PBS app on Fire TV. I think some of it is syndicated. And some is locally produced like a Texas travel show called Day Tripper. So it's understandable that it's not carried by a nationally-managed PBS app. Mostly I'm just curious why none of the major live streaming services offer PBS.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
If I had a Roku Ultra how would we watch some of the Olympics? Particularly the ice skating which DW cannot live without.

We have cable right now and DW asks me such questions. Have to report back to the boss.
Roku is a streaming device, all you'd have to stream with it is whatever free Roku "channels" (not TV channels/networks) you download. There are tons of free channels (e.g. tubiTV, PlutoTV, etc.), but few if any TV channels/networks as you know them. If you want to watch the Olympics, you'll need a streaming Roku "channel" that offers NBC, NBCSN or the Olympic (TV) channel. At least in our area, we get all three TV channels via PS Vue. Others may offer the TV channels/networks you want in your area.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

Thanks for the newer chart!

We're still assessing our options for PBS. As far as I can tell, you have to look on the PBS app locally to see what's available - WTTW Chicago is local for us.
  • Nothing is available live streaming from PBS that I can find, only on demand (next day if not sooner).
  • We can stream on demand some of the programs we like with just the free Roku or iPad PBS app/channel, like This Old House, Check Please!, PBS Newshour and others.
  • But we plan to pay $5/mo for Passport, which gives us access to the most popular shows on demand, like Victoria, Chef & The Farmer and others at the moment.
  • However, there are some live shows that come to us only OTA or cable/satellite - that aren't included for live or on demand streaming even with Passport, like America's Test Kitchen or Chris Kimball's Milk Street. I even looked into making ATK's home PBS station (WETA?) our Passport subscription, but it wouldn't let me.
At least that's what I'm finding so far, but I'm new to this. If someone here knows more, I'd love to learn.

I hope PBS will become available live stream some day, we'd be happy to pay.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Roku is a streaming device, all you'd have to stream with it is whatever free Roku "channels" (not TV channels/networks) you download. There are tons of free channels (e.g. tubiTV, PlutoTV, etc.), but few if any TV channels/networks as you know them. If you want to watch the Olympics, you'll need a streaming Roku "channel" that offers NBC, NBCSN or the Olympic (TV) channel. At least in our area, we get all three TV channels via PS Vue. Others may offer the TV channels/networks you want in your area.
Perhaps someone with a Roku box will know if Roku has such a channel?

I imagine this is a fast evolving situation and by the 2020 Olympics there will be a Roku alternative. Hopefully one could just subscribe to a Roku "app" or "channel" that would offer some sports stuff. Not that I'm much of a sports fan but do enjoy the Olympics and maybe some of the Super Bowl.