Join Early Retirement Today

Audible and Prime
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Audible and Prime

Does anyone know how this works? I have Prime. It looks like I get free Audible books with prime. However, when I got to listen to my first book, it wants me to subscribe to Audible. It says the first 30 days is free. I don’t want to join any subscription service. I don’t even want it for 30 days free only to have to cancel it. I was hoping some here could know, is it free or is this just a hook to get me to buy something on top of Prime. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

AFAIK, it's not included with Prime, it's a premium service. If you sign up and don't cancel, you will be billed an additional charge.
2k6_TX_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k6_TX_Dad View Post
AFAIK, it's not included with Prime, it's a premium service. If you sign up and don't cancel, you will be billed an additional charge.
^ This. $15/month.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You do get free ebooks with Prime, but only the ones listed under "Prime Reading" and only up to 10 books or magazines. I just went through this. Most of the books are of little interest to me, but there are a few good ones. It's a little hard to decipher because, yeah, they want more of your money.
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
You do get free ebooks with Prime, but only the ones listed under "Prime Reading" and only up to 10 books or magazines. I just went through this. Most of the books are of little interest to me, but there are a few good ones. It's a little hard to decipher because, yeah, they want more of your money.
So you can actually get those books and listen to them without expending money or signing up for the free 30 day trial of Audible? That's what doesn't seem possible. It seems like Audible is a service and Prime will get me fee books to use with that service, but not the service.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry if i wasn't clear. Prime allows some free ebooks to read, but not to listen to. For listening you must have Audible. Or try your library or thrift stores.
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #7

Thanks. FWIW, you were far more clear than anything I could find on Amazon. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Does anyone know how this works? I have Prime. It looks like I get free Audible books with prime. However, when I got to listen to my first book, it wants me to subscribe to Audible. It says the first 30 days is free. I don’t want to join any subscription service. I don’t even want it for 30 days free only to have to cancel it. I was hoping some here could know, is it free or is this just a hook to get me to buy something on top of Prime. Thanks.
If you install the Audible app on your phone and hunt for it, there is a section of free for Prime books, or something like that. Also some of the Prime ebooks that you can get from the Amazon web site have free Audible narration. It's a little band on the title. I used it once. You can read the eBook to a point and then ask Alexa to read it and Alexa starts where you left off.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not currently a Prime member, so I can't be step by step precise on this --
Under Prime reading, there are a small number titles that have a companion audiobook. Most are what I will characterize as 'trash novels', but I have found a title or two to be of mild interest.
Finding them requires sifting through pages of listings until one of interest can be found.
Using filters can narrow the search.
Kindle unlimited will expand the number of titles available but requires a free trial or subscription.
Also, Audible Channels has some short format offerings. For some reason DW's Kindle came with the app, mine did not.

P.S - cross-posted with misshathaway
PSS - The four titles I can remember were - PCT and AT through hikes by Skywalker, Walden On Wheels, and Andromeda Strain.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
If you install the Audible app on your phone and hunt for it, there is a section of free for Prime books, or something like that. Also some of the Prime ebooks that you can get from the Amazon web site have free Audible narration. It's a little band on the title. I used it once. You can read the eBook to a point and then ask Alexa to read it and Alexa starts where you left off.
Thanks. I will try that. It would be nice to be able to get a couple books they say are free and leave it at that. I don't want to get sucked into a subscription but I may just to try it out. My daughter says to use Hoopla. I guess it works through the public library for free. I like free.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My local library subscribes to Hoopla, Libby, and RB Digital, and I have found the selection of audio books between these three to cover nearly all of my desired reading needs. Definitely recommend seeing what your local library offers. The selection on Prime Audio without the Audible subscription is less than ideal.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote