Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Battery Issue in Notebook (T100)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Battery Issue in Notebook (T100)

Lena's had her Asus T100 for 2.4 years now, and apparently the battery's health is poor.

It wouldn't be an issue, except that even when plugged in, it currently loses charge (when in use).

I've confirmed that she has a good power adapter and cord, so it should be getting the max charging power.

I'm currently having her run it in safe mode to see if there is some app that's using too much power. Unfortunately, in safe mode, you can't monitor the battery level.

I can get a new battery ($75), but I'll have to do major surgery to install it.

Asus wants $300 for a new battery (more than a new computer).

We're tempted to just get a new computer--one with a snap-in replaceable battery.

Tips or suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Won't the "Task Manager" (or whatever they call it in Windows) show you % CPU for each application? I recall DD's MacBook was running fans full blast and short battery time because it was stuck trying to connect to some printer on some network that wasn't there, and running 100% CPU. Killed that process and the machine got quiet and battery life (per charge) was fine.

I also found this ifixit, a little involved, but doesn't look so bad:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+Tr...lacement/25185

And batteries on Amazon are ~ $40-$50 bucks. search C12N1320

But yea, I like the old school snap in batteries.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Remove the battery and see if that is the problem?
Yes, I know the tablet will need to be opened, I have an Asus T200. What do you have to lose?
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I would do more investigation, if it's a lithium battery, that is a short time frame to be dying.
Do you leave it plugged in all the time, or just charge it up and then run it to zero ?

If you do find the battery a goner, I'd be tempted to go with a new computer, in 2.4 years they have changed quite a bit. As for the plug in battery part, I have a small laptop that I upgraded the memory and (harddrive to SSD) . while doing so I saw the batter inside, it would be easy to change it once it's open.
So the battery replace ability is not a big thing for me.

Hey hope this does not happen to your car
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think replacing the battery is all that difficult. I replaced the keyboard in my mom's T100 and it was straightforward, even though I had to remove a lot of components. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+Tr...lacement/25185 has a guide.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
I don't think replacing the battery is all that difficult. I replaced the keyboard in my mom's T100 and it was straightforward, even though I had to remove a lot of components. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+Tr...lacement/25185 has a guide.
I agree this is fairly easy.
This is quite a bit less than I had to do to double the memory in my laptop.

It's so annoying all manufacturers don't make memory updates as easy as opening a special spot, pull out the old one and put in the new one.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I searched Amazon for Asus notebooks. They seem very reasonably priced. I think I'd replace the computer.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Do you leave it plugged in all the time, or just charge it up and then run it to zero ?
She's actually been careful to not leave it plugged in all the time.

Quote:
Hey hope this does not happen to your car
Right. That wouldn't be a DIY fix.

We'll look at computers at CostCo this weekend. You can take them back any time up to 90 days.

I'll be glad if she gets a larger machine. Every time I have to debug something on her ASUS, the smaller keyboard and screen bugs me.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
She's actually been careful to not leave it plugged in all the time. ...
As we were discussing in another thread, where you tried adding a timer to your laptop charger, it isn't clear that unplugging it will extend the life of the battery.

Yes, it's true that leaving a Li-on battery near 100% charge all the time is bad for it. But it isn't clear that letting it discharge and charge up is any better. It's just a different wear-out mechanism.

The only sure-fire improvement that I know of is some charger firmware will allow the user to select what to use for the 'full' level. So if you select 80% instead of 100%, it charges to 80% and stops, but it stays plugged in, so the device runs from the line, so it isn't running the battery through additional charge-discharge cycles. Merely unplugging it will increase the charge-discharge cycles. You trade one issue for another.

DW leaves her MacBook plugged in most of the time, definitely overnight and through the evening almost all the time. The Coconut Battery app shows it is 88 months old (7.33 years), has run 521 'load cycles' , and is still at 78% of original capacity.

I assume a 'load cycle' is the equivalent number of full charge-discharge cycles, so 50% charged to 75% counts as 0.25 cycles? So she goes through a full charge cycle roughly every 5 days.

BTW, can't you plug a USB external keyboard into the ASUS?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #10

If the battery problem surfaced after a Win 10 upgrade, I noticed this fix in the Aug 2 anniversary update -

Quote:
"Addressed issues that cause high battery drain when a Windows 10 Mobile device is idle or the screen is off."
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #11

If used every day, thats not a bad battery life IMO. I'm real hard on laptop , cellphone, gps , etc batteries, charging 100 % and running down below 20 %. My device batts. get weak before 2 years.

In the Leaf " Driving Experience" ( Nissan Brainwashing for prospective Leaf buyers) event I went to several years ago, they made a big deal about LIon batteries longest life is never charge above 80%, and never discharge below 40%.

I haven't seen a portable device battery charge management program that lets you cut off charging at at 80% full.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
If the battery problem surfaced after a Win 10 upgrade, I noticed this fix in the Aug 2 anniversary update -
Al has a Asus T100 notebook which is an Android device. No Windows.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I had a T100 and gave it away. Old tech, Android version not upgradeable (easily unless you root it). Makes sense to go new.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I see a lot of battery problems reported for that model. It probably can be fixed, but the costs would stop me from trying.

I'd look for a battery app, or system app, that would report useful information about the battery. Also, probably something in the BIOS that could prove useful. Maybe the BIOS battery is wacked, or the BIOS has a serious fault. Look for an update?
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Al has a Asus T100 notebook which is an Android device. No Windows.
OK, but then there is this post #308, pg 16 on the windows 10 thread -

Quote:
After a lot of resistance, Lena upgraded her laptop to Windows 10. We got it started before we went to bed, and in the morning her screen said: "Welcome to Windows 10!"

IOW, it went off without a hitch. Main reason: She doesn't have a lot of add-ons and unusual apps as I do.
I have an Asus T200 running Win 8.1, I believe the T100 can also run 8.1
Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #16

I got a Lenovo Ideapad at Best Buy for $100! It was open box, but everything was there. Not a machine you will play games on, but great for general purpose use. I think the regular price was short of $150. With this type of computer out there at that price I would replace the t100.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I have an Asus T200 running Win 8.1, I believe the T100 can also run 8.1
Ahhh, I had one of the very early T100's and couldn't even upgrade to a better version of Android let alone Windows. I gave up on it and I never investigated trying to load Windows.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll look into that. It is indeed a windows device, and we did upgrade to win 10.

Today, for $179, Lena got this: https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/28/...eam-11-review/

So now, the T100 is mine to play with. I'm going to buy a battery for it.

But I can't even get it to charge up when it is off. It has rapidly gotten worse.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Although the salesman told us the HP Stream has a replaceable battery, it does not. That is, like the Asus, it's replaceable only via surgery.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll look into that. It is indeed a windows device, and we did upgrade to win 10.

Today, for $179, Lena got this: https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/28/...eam-11-review/

So now, the T100 is mine to play with. I'm going to buy a battery for it.

But I can't even get it to charge up when it is off. It has rapidly gotten worse.
I have to wonder if it might be the connection where you plug it in to charge. I have a laptop that this happened to, the connection just inside the computer broke, so of course it would not take a charge most of the time unless you had the wire pulled in certain direction.

You could take out the old battery, and charge it directly, and see if it holds a charge, if it does, then it's not the battery itself.