Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2022, 03:21 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

First of all, it would depend on which cell phone company has the best coverage for your area.
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and glad I did. Since it connects to my home wifi, I do not have a problem with dropped calls any longer. Plus I have unlimited data AND a lower bill. AndI have been able to use the phone while in other countries without a charge (I did not call anyone while there) In addition, there is a "T-Mobile Tuesdays" app where I get special deals every Tuesday.
All this a n a LOWER bill than I had on Verizon, even with a military discount.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Not sure whether this question should be a new thread or not........

DW and I use our phones as mobile hot spots extensively 3+ months/yr while RV'ing. We have a plan with Verizon that gives us 2004 gigs of data, 4G LTE, always unthrottled for about $105/month for two phones.

We really like having Internet most anyplace we're camped. The 4G seems fast enough and we enjoy not worrying if we stream movies, music or whatever extensively without a concern about data usage or hitting throttle levels.

But, darn, it seems expensive since we seldom use our phones as hot spots at home where we have Internet/wifi. Verizon will not let us turn the plan on and off. Once you give it up, it's gone permanently.

Can anyone think of anything cheaper where we could have tons of unthrottled hot spot data while on the road in the camper but not pay for that while we're home?
You should look into the T-Mobile or Verizon home internet offerings. They are $50. Just take the receiver with you. Then for phones, get to of the $15 plans from T-mobile. I suspect that is plenty for you.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
You should look into the T-Mobile or Verizon home internet offerings. They are $50. Just take the receiver with you. Then for phones, get to of the $15 plans from T-mobile. I suspect that is plenty for you.
I don't believe Verizon lets you move your receiver around the country but it's been a while since I checked. I'll have to go look at T-Mobile. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure whether this question should be a new thread or not........

DW and I use our phones as mobile hot spots extensively 3+ months/yr while RV'ing. We have a plan with Verizon that gives us 2004 gigs of data, 4G LTE, always unthrottled for about $105/month for two phones.

We really like having Internet most anyplace we're camped. The 4G seems fast enough and we enjoy not worrying if we stream movies, music or whatever extensively without a concern about data usage or hitting throttle levels.

But, darn, it seems expensive since we seldom use our phones as hot spots at home where we have Internet/wifi. Verizon will not let us turn the plan on and off. Once you give it up, it's gone permanently.

Can anyone think of anything cheaper where we could have tons of unthrottled hot spot data while on the road in the camper but not pay for that while we're home?
How much data do you use? More specifically, how much in the months you use a lot, and how many months/year is that?

The Ting Flex plan (which I just switched to from their old plans) has unlimited talk/text for $10 per line, and shared (always high speed) data at $5/GB (billed as you use it). So for any month with minimal data use (and picture/group texts use data), it's just $25 (plus tax/fees) per month.

$5/GB is relatively high rate, but if you save $70/month for enough months, it could all work out.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:32 AM   #45

Quote:
I don't believe Verizon lets you move your receiver around the country but it's been a while since I checked. I'll have to go look at T-Mobile. Thanks for the ideas!
When I tried T-Mobile internet a few months ago, the service was only good for one specific address so don't believe that idea would work.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
When I tried T-Mobile internet a few months ago, the service was only good for one specific address so don't believe that idea would work.
Evidently this is not true anymore, at least according to this video:

https://youtu.be/tKnIcCL7R48
Old 09-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Do these off brand plans work internationally? I like AT&T's International Day Pass.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #48

You would have to check the website for the MVNO to see what plans and add ons they offer.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Also excited to say I ditched Verizon due to wanting a cost savings.
Went with Mint & couldnt be happier...
I went with a 1 year 10gb plan for $20 a month, paid $240 for the year vs almost $1k with Verizon.
Have had it for almost a month & has been seamless....
stoked!
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:37 PM   #50

I used to have hello mobile, $5/mo no contract for unlimited voice and text, and 500MB 5G data. It is their regular plan. They use sprint now is t-mobile.

Then I switched to tracfone / verizon when I upgraded my phone. Was thinking to go back to hello after unlocking my phone after 60 days but Verizon does have better reception in several my local area (bike path, friend's houses, etc) so probably will stay with tracfone after the New Year.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We had Verizon for as long as we have had cell phones, 20+ years. They had nice perks with Disney+ Bundle, but the price was $176 a month for my wife and I on the unlimited plan and my inlaws (1 phone) on a lower plan.

We have Xfinity internet and I saw their deal for $30 for each line on unlimted and my inlaws phone can be the $15 plan with 1 GB of data as they don't know how to use data.

So I traded the $176 a month plan for 3 phones for $85 (Including taxes)

Funny thing is, xfinity runs on the Verizon network and augments it with their wifi hot spots for data if you want to use their hot spots

I brought our phones with us which gave us an extra $100 per phone

Just did this yesterday and so far so good.

You do have to have Xfinity Internet or cable to get their mobile plan
Old 11-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #52

I use Visible. Verizon owns them. $25 a month, unlimited everything.
F.I.R.E User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I use Visible. Verizon owns them. $25 a month, unlimited everything.

You mean $30/month. If you are paying $25, then you have the old plan, which I believe is going away soon.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #54

Quote:
You mean $30/month. If you are paying $25, then you have the old plan, which I believe is going away soon.
It already did for new subscribers. I have the $25 plan, but am grandfathered in. I live in a densely populated area, and the data speed is often so slow as to be unusable (<1mbps). When traveling in smaller towns though, the speed has been good, at anywhere from 20-60 Mbps. I have read that the speeds tend to be consistently faster for those on the new $30 plan.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #55

Quote:
It was suppose to go way to $30. I don’t see the price increase. I guess I will be grandfathered to $25?
F.I.R.E User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:17 AM   #56

^^^^ Sshhh
Old 11-27-2022, 06:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

We have had airvoicewireless, an AT&T MVNO for many years. Unlimited talk and text and 3GB data for $18/mo on autopay.

But unfortunately, they don't support wifi calling which we want during the summer when we are in VT and the cell signal has gotten weaker for some unknown reason so I switched to Red Pocket Mobile, another AT&T MVNO. Unlimited talk and text and 3GB data for $20/mo plus tax.

We'll be switching DW to Red Pocket soon and once we do we can get a 2-person family plan with unlimited talk and text and unlimited data for $50/mo. BTD!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We have been using Google Fi for a number of years though it is no longer the clear competitive winner that it once was. Mostly sloth keeps us there but the international coverage is a big factor too.

They have an under-advertised program that reduces total cost of ownership. Basically, they will sell you a new phone (currently Pixel 6a) for ten bucks a month, 24 months, then replace it with another new phone and you get to keep/sell the old one. So the net cost of the new phone is under $200. (https://fi.google.com/about/phone-subscription?pli=1) They market the plan bundled with phone hazard insurance at an additional $5/months, advertising $15/month, but the extra $5 is optional. So I pay $10.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
We had Verizon for as long as we have had cell phones, 20+ years. They had nice perks with Disney+ Bundle, but the price was $176 a month for my wife and I on the unlimited plan and my inlaws (1 phone) on a lower plan.

We have Xfinity internet and I saw their deal for $30 for each line on unlimted and my inlaws phone can be the $15 plan with 1 GB of data as they don't know how to use data.

So I traded the $176 a month plan for 3 phones for $85 (Including taxes)

Funny thing is, xfinity runs on the Verizon network and augments it with their wifi hot spots for data if you want to use their hot spots

I brought our phones with us which gave us an extra $100 per phone

Just did this yesterday and so far so good.

You do have to have Xfinity Internet or cable to get their mobile plan
Think i'm going to do same Romer ! We have xfinity at home, and have had Verizon forever, I'm seeing the same 30/phone deal. That is an interesting tidbit about xfinity on verizon.
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We have had airvoicewireless, an AT&T MVNO for many years. Unlimited talk and text and 3GB data for $18/mo on autopay.

But unfortunately, they don't support wifi calling which we want during the summer when we are in VT and the cell signal has gotten weaker for some unknown reason so I switched to Red Pocket Mobile, another AT&T MVNO. Unlimited talk and text and 3GB data for $20/mo plus tax.

We'll be switching DW to Red Pocket soon and once we do we can get a 2-person family plan with unlimited talk and text and unlimited data for $50/mo. BTD!
If you use their annual plan you can get same plan for $15/mo.
But you have to prepay for the whole year.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote