Best inventions of past 100 years

I think #1 is computing technology, hands down. Computing technology is behind most of the other major advances. Medical advances would probably be #2 in my book but most of those wouldn't be possible without computers. Nor of course would all the applications of the internet, which I would rank as tied for #2. All the things I can think of that might rival computing in their impact (electrification, flight, etc) are more than 100 years old.
Well put Vaclav simul in creating the twentieth century and transforming the 20th century points out that if you take society as a whole that the main changes since 1920 are the jet engine (both planes and power generation, the rocket engine, materials such as plastics, as well as computers, earth satellites for communication, (forecast by AC Clarke in 1945) and fiber optics which have made communication far cheaper. Largely the last century has been about the democratization of technology, i.e. other than the elite have access to the tech, From 1885 onward if you could afford it you could hire a telgrapher, and get news on very short time frames if you were anywhere near a railroad. (the telegraph and the railroad had to evolve together)

Air conditioning (Houston area here!) LOL!!

electric lighting, in all its various forms

Haber process

All invented over 100 years ago.

As far as everyday conveniences, the electric garage door opener was a wonderful thing for us. Taken for granted now, but in that house, not having to stop, put the parking brake on (steep driveway), open the door, get back in, parking brake off, and pull up, especially in bad weather, was a glorious thing.

And at the time, when faxes became available to regular business people, it was a revolution. No more waiting days for prints/contracts to be delivered, and sent back and forth for review. Of course email/internet makes faxing seem like 100 years ago.

-ERD50

I don't think it would count as an invention, but I would include the Interstate Highway System as something big and new in the last 100 years.

Some day folks will wake up to nuclear power being necessary to cut CO2 emissions in a major way.
+1. Controlled fission reactions. Huge invention/discovery of the last 100 years.

Definitely need to move the tech forward to a safer, cleaner future. There are different designs that need development (example, Molten Salt Reactors) but are being denied by certain circles.

It’s true that the bigger the impact on society, the more resistance there’s likely to be, right?

That's very true, and something we must be wary of.

But another troubling trend is that people get all spun up over things with little or no negative impact. Vaccines. GMOs. Gluten. Smart meters. And, look at all the "wedge" issues that politicians use to drum up fear, uncertainty and doubt in their followers.

It's so much easier to protest against someone else's ideas than to implement your own.

Refrigeration, indoor plumbing, and vaccines have probably saved more lives and contributed to quality of life more than everything else combined.

I'll give a shout out to CPAP.

Great thread. Here's one not mentioned, yet: Fire suppressant sprinkler systems.

We stole that from the Germans.
Actually, the Italians had the first highway - the Autostrada del Sole (A1) from Rome to Milan - before the Germans built the Autobahn.

All things communication, I couldn't imagine telegraphs. The fact that I can live across the country and still know every detail of my families lives, livestream their concerts and soccer practices, instant message my nieces/nephews, etc and I have instant access to my friends all over the world.

All things communication, I couldn't imagine telegraphs. The fact that I can live across the country and still know every detail of my families lives, livestream their concerts and soccer practices, instant message my nieces/nephews, etc and I have instant access to my friends all over the world.

This reminds me of a very nice lady who worked in the office before I retired. At the time reports were printed on dot-matrix printers that were irritatingly noisy to everyone. She associated those noisy printers with "computers" and to her they were all part of the same package.

She was furious when not only did her husband want to buy a home computer, he wanted to put it in the bedroom!:mad:

That is, until she found out that she could get pictures from her grandchildren who lived in Oregon, on the same day said photos where taken. (We were in MD.)

Then she wanted the computer on her side of the bed.:LOL:

Fiberglass
Plastic
Fiber optics
Nanotechnology

Back
Top Bottom