Best inventions of past 100 years

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was just reading some interesting factoids regarding electric vehicles and it got me thinking of all the amazing things our fellow smart humans have come up with in the past 100 years or so. I'm going to list my top three in degree of importance and how much they will affect our future.

1. The computer processor
2. RAM/Hard drive storage
3. Battery technology

Oral contraceptives.

100 years?

- Antibiotics
- Internet of things
- Legal Cannabis

I’m going to use a broad brush and say transportation. Imagine in 1920 flying from coast to coast in just a few hours or practically anywhere in the world in a day. Imagine getting in your car and being able to drive 70mph, or said another way, being somewhere 100 miles away in about an hour and a half.

But on a personal note, indoor plumbing. I love a hot shower and I really can’t imagine an outhouse, especially in the winter.

Haber process

Definitely a big impact; provided an exponential growth in food production, especially in nontraditional farming regions. Unfortunately there is a positive correlation to the exponential population growth to go along with it.

Snow blower...says the guy with the 200 foot driveway.

Several years ago they asked this same question of a 100 year old woman. Her answer - window screens. She grew up in the South before air conditioning. You had to leave the windows open to cool the house. That let flys and mosquitoes in of course. When screen wire became available for windows and doors, it was a blessing.

So I guess it depends on your perspective....

automatic espresso maker

Several years ago they asked this same question of a 100 year old woman. Her answer - window screens. She grew up in the South before air conditioning. You had to leave the windows open to cool the house. That let flys and mosquitoes in of course. When screen wire became available for windows and doors, it was a blessing.

So I guess it depends on your perspective....

True

Your response reminds me of my aunt, who died a several years ago in her late 90's. She grew up in the 1920's on a small farm in rural East Texas, extremely poor. The family lived in a house that was nothing more than a shack, and my aunt said she hated winter because the cold wind blew through the spaces between the boards of the house and she could never get warm.

That's why, when asked what she thought the best invention was during her lifetime, she answered "tar paper".

Last edited:
These: 20200201_183846.jpeg

I vote for the indoor toilet along with city water and sewers. :cool:

I have to agree with you on the indoor toilets. Can't think of much worse than winter time and you have to go outside in the freezing cold! Are you kidding me? So yeah, indoor toilet gets my vote.

The flush toilet is significantly older than 100 years. And indoor toilets (also known as chamber pots) go back into antiquity. Not saying they were pleasant, but you didn't have to go outside.

I have to agree with you on the indoor toilets. Can't think of much worse than winter time and you have to go outside in the freezing cold! Are you kidding me? So yeah, indoor toilet gets my vote.

Yeah, that was me between 1945 and 1946 when Dad was fighting WWII and I was with grandma and Mom in Pittston, Pa in a coal miner's house with an outhouse.

Ever been potty trained in a cold, damp, wooden outhouse? LOL!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom