Best way to back up laptop files?

Crabby Mike

Recycles dryer sheets
So I just got a new 2 TB Seagate portable external HDD to back up my 1 TB SSD laptop. But as I prepare to put it to use, I realize I'm not sure which way to go:
- run a backup using a utility, such as Norton (which I have), whatever Seagate supplies with the drive, etc.
- just copy the entire laptop drive onto the HDD, software and all
- or something else.

Thoughts?

I used to use a backup drive. But since I have a Microsoft subscription to Office, I use Onedrive which not only stores backups but also does version control. Now if you delete a file it will only be available for 30 days. The subscription also works nicely for other family members (can service 5 I think).

So I also backup the critical changing data on a few thumb drives. This is only about 4GB so easy to do. Each month I change the drive (I have 3) so that if I get some weird malware, if Onedrive does not protect me, I have multiple data copies going back a few months.

I use a utility called CopyChange to copy any files in Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and Music that have changed since last time I ran it to my backup drive.

I used to use a backup drive. But since I have a Microsoft subscription to Office, I use Onedrive which not only stores backups but also does version control. Now if you delete a file it will only be available for 30 days. The subscription also works nicely for other family members (can service 5 I think).

So I also backup the critical changing data on a few thumb drives. This is only about 4GB so easy to do. Each month I change the drive (I have 3) so that if I get some weird malware, if Onedrive does not protect me, I have multiple data copies going back a few months.
I have One Drive too, but discovered to my chagrin when I had a corrupted file, that One Drive had happily synced it, flaws and all!

I have One Drive too, but discovered to my chagrin when I had a corrupted file, that One Drive had happily synced it, flaws and all!

But do you not have version control to get the good version? I know this works for Excel files.

If you do not have any aversion to cloud backups two suggestions are:

Backblaze ($66/year) - automatic background backup
Dropbox ($99/year) - syncs files

So I just got a new 2 TB Seagate portable external HDD to back up my 1 TB SSD laptop. But as I prepare to put it to use, I realize I'm not sure which way to go:
- run a backup using a utility, such as Norton (which I have), whatever Seagate supplies with the drive, etc.
- just copy the entire laptop drive onto the HDD, software and all
- or something else.

I use Macrium Reflect to make a full image backup of my drives every night. If the main drive ever fails, I can restore everything to a new drive quickly without having to reinstall Windows, all my applications, settings, etc. I use the same process to clone my data to new drives as my storage needs change.

I use the "incremental forever" backup mode that consolidates the nightly backups into fewer files. This is much faster than running a full backup every night, but achieves the same effect.

You should also have a second backup drive that you keep off site and rotate them periodically (protects against fires, theft, floods, tornadoes, etc.)

As for online backups, I vote No. Too slow, usually don't back up everything, and requires an internet connection (how do you download from the internet if there is no operating system on the new drive?).

I do incremental full disk backups with Clonezilla.

Also I run a rsynch command on the data folders as another backup. It synchs the files on a backup drive to the original drive. It makes incremental changes as needed so it is very fast.

+1 for OneDrive 1TB with Microsoft365 subscription, which gives you the MS Office apps and premium Outlook email services.

I run a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air, with OneDrive syncing my files between them both seamlessly. I also back them both up monthly with Time Machine to a 3TB Seagate USB3 external drive which I keep in my safe.

Like others, I also keep a copy of irreplaceable files and documents on a 64GB thumb drive in my safe as well; external drives can fail, as I have discovered in the past.

Cheers!

I think @mountainsoft's approach is a good one.

But @Crabby Mike I strongly suggest that you attach your backup drive to your home network, not to the laptop via USB That way it will always be there when the backup software runs/no plugging and unplugging, and you can also use it for other purposes. If the drive you bought is USB I would exchange it for a network-connected drive if that's possible.

1. 1TB SSD MacBook backs up via USB C to a Western Digital 2 TB hard drive every day - completely transparent.

2. I pay Apple $0.99 a month for 50 GB of backup for all files and photos.

3. I also back critical files up to a flash drive occasionally.

My motto - "Data Paranoia is a Positive!"

I strongly suggest that you attach your backup drive to your home network, not to the laptop via USB That way it will always be there when the backup software runs/no plugging and unplugging

I use external USB backup drives. Since my backups run overnight I leave the backup drive connected at all times. In most cases the only reason I would need to restore a file is if I've accidentally deleted or modified a file, so regular consistent backups are more important than the security of the backup drive. The most important backup is the one you actually make.

Of course, a connected backup drive is vulnerable to computer viruses, malware, power surges, fires, or anything else that would affect the main drive (network drives aren't immune). That's why it's important to keep a second backup drive, disconnected, and stored off site. Rotate backup drives occasionally so they don't get too outdated.

The local connected backup is for those "oops" moments. The remote disconnected backup is for the really bad situations.

I only use my external drives for backups, nothing else. I like the small portable USB drives as they are easy to carry and fit nicely in my small safe deposit box at the bank.

There are various security issues that come to mind:
1) burglary
2) known person in house who becomes bad actor
3) fire
4) system hardware failure
5) viruses, malware
6) lost, damaged files and version control
7) nuclear war

I think I have 1-6 nailed down.

Regarding #3, do not depend on a safe no matter what the advertising says.

I use Macrium Reflect to make a full image backup of my drives every night. If the main drive ever fails, I can restore everything to a new drive quickly without having to reinstall Windows, all my applications, settings, etc. I use the same process to clone my data to new drives as my storage needs change.

+1
Macrium Reflect is excellent, free imaging/backup software. Highly recommended.

In addition, I use the Windows File History feature to backup individual files (personal documents, photos, etc.) to a separate external drive. These two backup methods are great compliments to one another, IMHO.

As for online backups, I vote No. Too slow, usually don't back up everything, and requires an internet connection (how do you download from the internet if there is no operating system on the new drive?).

+1
Online backups are far slower and MUCH more expensive over the long run than local backups to external drives. Why pay $60+ per year (i.e., $600 over ten years) when you can pick up a fast, reliable 2TB external drive for less than $70 and use excellent free software like Macrium Reflect?

If you do not have any aversion to cloud backups two suggestions are:

Backblaze ($66/year) - automatic background backup
Dropbox ($99/year) - syncs files

Actually, the free version of Dropbox allows 2GB of storage, which can be enough for many people who don't have lots of videos. I find it works very nicely as a backup. For people complaining about being too slow, remember that Dropbox (and related software) only backs up new and updated files, not the entire collection every time.

Not only does it work as a backup, it also is a sweet way to access your files from any computer. This is particularly useful if you get a new computer and just want to access your files without restoring every bit from your old computer.

But do note the next step up (with a capacity of 2TB) is $9.99/month, so then it gets a bit steep.

My "offsite" storage is an encrypted copy of the data files that I store in my car.

I am not a techie. I have used HDD and online backup, moving files from a chromebook to a win10 machine that is automatically backed up. I am wondering why I shouldn't just put all my files online. As a bonus I could access them when traveling. Shouldn't keeping primary copies online help protect from malware?

Back
Top Bottom