bezos in space

Thanks for sharing the video of the interior. It was a delight listening to Wally Funk during the live broadcast...she was having the absolute time of her life! Her youthful spirit was definitely the highlight of my day.

One thing that really surprised me was the lack of infrastructure at the launch site, surprisingly very spartan and bare bones type of facility !

One thing that really surprised me was the lack of infrastructure at the launch site, surprisingly very spartan and bare bones type of facility !
Noticed that too... Even mission control looked pretty austere. I didn't think Wally was going to make it up all those flights of stairs.

Someone on the news even made the comment that they were surprised that Bezos and his team didn't use an Amazon truck to drive them up to the rocket. That would have been hilarious.

Last edited:
Rich man's roller coaster ride

That's what I said to my DH when we were watching the video! And rollercoaster rides feel so short, and this felt so short, just like the rollercoaster ride!

I found the differences between Richard's and Jeff's flights interesting. This morning's flight was controlled remotely - none of the control was coming from within the vehicles. Richard's flight had 2 pilots onboard.

I thought it was so cool that there was no pilot for this flight. We can't really call the people on board "the crew", can't we (although the voice on the video clip was calling them as such.); they're just passengers!

The Ultimate Blow the Dough

I read that Ashton Kutcher bought a ticket for a Virgin Galactic trip for around $200K-250K back in 2012.

Some of the people here can definitely afford to blow that kind of dough!

I still can't believe they didn't pop out of the capsule with a package!!!. Opportunity missed!! :)

Did you see a drone flying around the capsule? Does Amazon do drone deliveries yet?

Chuckanut’s analysis above is good. Even though this was another suborbital flight, I was impressed with the landing of the booster. New Shepherd has a great track record of booster recovery. It’s a real rocket and I suspect that Blue Origin will go orbital in the next few years. I don’t have the same expectation with Virgin Galactic.

One use I heard discussed today was that Virgin is basically thinking concord on steroids - trips from NY to London in 45 mins, NY to Tokyo in a couple hours, etc. That would be interesting.

I don't really get the purpose of Blue Origin other than cool trips for rich people, for now.

I think they intend to deliver payloads via reusable rockets like SpaceX has been doing since 2014.

Interesting- I met Wally in 1972 when she worked for the FAA, and she signed off on my Student Pilot's license.
I was wrong, she signed off on my Ground Instructor Certificate in 1973 (attached)

Attachments

• wally.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 26
Lots of comments online about the Blue Origin rocket and capsule. Many are saying it's a copy of the rocket from the 1974 "movie" Flesh Gordon.

One use I heard discussed today was that Virgin is basically thinking concord on steroids - trips from NY to London in 45 mins, NY to Tokyo in a couple hours, etc. That would be interesting.

I don't really get the purpose of Blue Origin other than cool trips for rich people, for now.

I read that Musk also promised fast air travel using rockets.

I wonder if these vehicles can share airports with common airplanes. If they need special spaceports for logistic or regulatory reasons, how many spaceports these companies can build all around the world?

And if the few spaceports have to be away from population centers, travel to/from these spaceports to/from your destinations will take longer than taking commercial airplane flights.

Sounds to me about as practical and affordable to build as the Hyperloop.

Last edited:
Looking at the video inside the capsule, it looked like they spent a whole-lot more time just enjoying 0g than looking out the window. They could of just rented a Cessna for a couple hours and floated inside of it. A whole-lot cheaper.

That comment though, about Amazon employees and customers paying for this. Oof, dude needs to listen to some PR people.

That comment though, about Amazon employees and customers paying for this. Oof, dude needs to listen to some PR people.

It seemed tone deaf PR-wise, but I think it was honest. He could have thanked the people on the team that worked on the rocket, but instead he acknowledged it was his extreme wealth from AMZN that got him off the planet and thanked the people involved in that. Definitely seemed ill-advised, but sorta real.

It seemed tone deaf PR-wise, but I think it was honest. He could have thanked the people on the team that worked on the rocket, but instead he acknowledged it was his extreme wealth from AMZN that got him off the planet and thanked the people involved in that. Definitely seemed ill-advised, but sorta real.

Yep, I'll think of that comment he made every single time I drive past the Amazon warehouse near me and see the picketers outside. If he were known for treating his people well, MAYBE he could pull that comment off. But wow, Bezos doesn't give a ****.

I haven't heard that Bezos or any of those other billionaires are helping fund planetary defense systems for detecting and possibly destroying asteriods that might hit the earth. I think that'd be more impressive than providing joy rides for other rich people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom